CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #27,032 of 31,831
I just need something that I won't hate.

Don't we all. In the sale forum I am selling my ISN D02. Maybe you will want them or not -- c'est la vie.

I found them vastly better than the IT00 that are being hyped here. The shape of the IT00, with a sharp seam on the lower edge, hurt my ear. The FR of the IT00 was bass heavy and muted up above--very plush and warm but like you are in a padded cell. For under $100 I think the ISN D02 are amazing, with a larger soundstage and richer tone (and they still have that bass).

For your needs, you need to get an MMCX cable with a mic. You can find one at Aliexpress.com for very little. Except maybe for the ultra cheapest offerings, a cable is a cable. Just get a well-reviewed cheap one (NiceHCK?) with a mic. Many tests have found that expensive cables are a placebo effect. Go ahead and come at me cable believers.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #27,033 of 31,831
Many tests have found that expensive cables are a placebo effect. Go ahead and come at me cable believers.

6557E9D5-02E2-4537-87E6-756EDE3DF481.gif

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #27,034 of 31,831
Don't we all. In the sale forum I am selling my ISN D02. Maybe you will want them or not -- c'est la vie.

I found them vastly better than the IT00 that are being hyped here. The shape of the IT00, with a sharp seam on the lower edge, hurt my ear. The FR of the IT00 was bass heavy and muted up above--very plush and warm but like you are in a padded cell. For under $100 I think the ISN D02 are amazing, with a larger soundstage and richer tone (and they still have that bass).

For your needs, you need to get an MMCX cable with a mic. You can find one at Aliexpress.com for very little. Except maybe for the ultra cheapest offerings, a cable is a cable. Just get a well-reviewed cheap one (NiceHCK?) with a mic. Many tests have found that expensive cables are a placebo effect. Go ahead and come at me cable believers.
From my experience most head-fiers love listening to music and what sounds subjectively good to them is what they like. I am agnostic about the science regarding cable sound. Many here seem to believe that cable resistance makes some difference. Believers, non-believers, it just opinions.. My experience here is people here love music and let their ears and hearts enjoy what they hear, whether it's conditioned by their brain and heart, or other more empirical factors. Qualities in music are hard to measure, so until we can measure qualities (factors outside of measurable frequency response such as timbre) i will judge by my prejudiced ears and have great joy in just being there in the moment, with my music.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #27,035 of 31,831
From my experience most head-fiers love listening to music and what sounds subjectively good to them is what they like. I am agnostic about the science regarding cable sound. Many here seem to believe that cable resistance makes some difference. Believers, non-believers, it just opinions.. My experience here is people here love music and let their ears and hearts enjoy what they hear, whether it's conditioned by their brain and heart, or other more empirical factors. Qualities in music are hard to measure, so until we can measure qualities (factors outside of measurable frequency response such as timbre) i will judge by my prejudiced ears and have great joy in just being there in the moment, with my music.
Resistance is objective.
If your cable has infinite resistance - no sound, as plain simple as this!

Cable of higher resistance may cause changes in sound.
Then two cables of the same resistance were never proven to sound any different.

Also science and technology are still behind the progress in IEM, not any beliefs.

I've seen few "science agnostics", but none of them though were leaving in "pure harmony with nature", that is without electricity and what not...

If one knows what graphene is, one would not spend money on graphene cables.

I do enjoy my different 25+ cables and psychoacoustics of it (I was first into blue ones, now I am into silver & gray as the best sounding), but scientific knowledge does help to define reasonable boundaries.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #27,036 of 31,831
Resistance is objective.

Then two cables of the same resistance were never proven to sound any different.

Also science and technology are still behind the progress in IEM, not any beliefs.

I've seen few "science agnostics", but none of them though were leaving in "pure harmony with nature", that is without electricity and what not...

I do enjoy my different 25+ cables and psychoacoustics of it (I was first into blue ones, now I am into silver & gray as the best sounding), but scientific knowledge does help to define reasonable boundaries.
And with BA iems that are very sensitive and some very low resistance like the andromeda and the T800. A high resistance cable WILL change its FR.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #27,037 of 31,831
And with BA iems that are very sensitive and some very low resistance like the andromeda and the T800. A high resistance cable WILL change its FR.
True.
With the BAs, the resonance peaks of the individual drivers correspond to their lower impedance (reactive load), so the sensitivity of multi-BA IEMs are higher than can be predicted by their nominal impedance (cited for a single frequency value, typically 1 kHz and their FR can be affected by the cables.

It can happen that the lower cable resistance is not "better", as per subjective cable preference, so the "cable matching" can work, but IMO, it may be the best (simplest ar least) to avoid IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #27,038 of 31,831
True.
With the BAs, the resonance peaks of the individual drivers correspond to their lower impedance (reactive load), so the sensitivity of multi-BA IEMs are higher than can be predicted by their nominal impedance (cited for a single frequency value, typically 1 kHz and FR can be affected by the cables.

It can happen that the lower cable resistance is not "better", as per subjective cable preference, so the "cable matching" can work, but IMO, it may be the best (simplest ar least) to avoid IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm.
Another problem with iems with sub 16 ohm impedance is that they risk getting hiss from the amp if it isnt a good one with very low OI.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #27,039 of 31,831
Another problem with iems with sub 16 ohm impedance is that they risk getting hiss from the amp if it isnt a good one with very low OI.
Absolutely, these IEMs are very power demanding (transient power) not that many sources are specified to work with the load below 16 Ohm; and then since for the lower resistance, the working voltages are much lower (the square of the resistance), all the noise of the circuits is much more to be heard.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #27,040 of 31,831
Resistance is objective.

I respect you PhonPhi but talking about blue silver and grey ones condescendingly is is underestimating and undermining your fellow headfiers. You believe there is only resistance....I don't know. You are no more scientific than me. I will stay agnostic....but I am not an science agnostic in any way whatsoever. Clearly resistance matters, but there may well be other factors that you cannot grasp making a difference. Please don't think all others are just fooled by appearance.
I wish you well in every way
Steve

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #27,041 of 31,831
Well, I tried a pair of cx300's. They were awful, I returned them. Vocals were reassessed and muddy, no sound stage, and the bass was overdone.
Just got some mh750's and I am blown away. for $15 theses things are killer. Vocals are present and not too forward, highs are crisp and clean, bass is good and natural. Only complaint would be the mid bass is a little muddy and mixes with the low vocals. Hopping some burn in wil help this. But damn, for $15 I feel ripped off with what I have paid for others!
Try also VE BIE :wink:

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #27,042 of 31,831
I respect you PhonPhi but talking about blue silver and grey ones condescendingly is is underestimating and undermining your fellow headfiers. You believe there is only resistance....I don't know. You are no more scientific than me. I will stay agnostic....but I am not an science agnostic in any way whatsoever. Clearly resistance matters, but there may well be other factors that you cannot grasp making a difference. Please don't think all others are just fooled by appearance.
I wish you well in every way
Steve
There are a lot of problems with your comments to me.

First, why and how did your assume "condescending, underestimating and undermining"?

I did enjoy blue cables, now I am into gray (with C24-2 on the way, and I am all in anxious anticipation of the new sonic vistas :)).

Where did you get the moral authority to judge? Does it originate from some insecurities?

Whom are you trying to fool with the "agnostic"? Only yourself it seems!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #27,043 of 31,831
There are a lot of problems with your comments to me.

First, why and how did your assume "condescending, underestimating and undermining"?

I did enjoy blue cables, now I am into gray (with C24-2 on the way, and I am all in anxious anticipation of the new sonic vistas :)).

Where did you get the moral authority to judge? Does it originate from some insecurities?

Whom are you trying to fool with the "agnostic"? Only yourself it seems!
Forget it. I tried to be respectful. You know exactly what you were doing. To me and only me, IMHO you are not being honest. Forget.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #27,044 of 31,831
Try also VE BIE :wink:
The BIE is a muddy mess. If the Mh750 is even the slightest muddy with the bass, the BIE is going to make him puke.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #27,045 of 31,831
Forget it. I tried to be respectful. You know exactly what you were doing. To me and only me, IMHO you are not being honest. Forget.
"Not being honest" is now a new assumption.

No, I truly enjoy the duality!
Like Yin and Yang - two sides of the Whole.

I am aware of the science (that also helps me to guide my cable quest), but then I really cherish my imagination, and it works beautifully with psychoacoustics (the sense of sound seems to be the least controlled by the mind), few little things to enjoy in this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back