CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #23,521 of 31,831
Agreed, they are really amazing. But their male vocals are quite a bit recessed, together with a very forward female vocals makes the vocal balancing quite bad.

Like mentioned we do all and I mean ALL hear them differently, not sure what you are playing them on but with my Opus # 1 black filters with balanced cables I miss nothing with either genders vocals! Not saying you don't but I'm not experiencing either condition with mine. I'll try some other sources though to see if I can hear those issues on another source :wink: Could be that I'm a far cry from any kind of a Golden Ear:thinking:

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #23,522 of 31,831
Like mentioned we do all and I mean ALL hear them differently, not sure what you are playing them on but with my Opus # 1 black filters with balanced cables I miss nothing with either genders vocals! Not saying you don't but I'm not experiencing either condition with mine. I'll try some other sources though to see if I can hear those issues on another source :wink: Could be that I'm a far cry from any kind of a Golden Ear:thinking:
Well, male vocal recession is something that seems to be the general consensus. Maybe you just need a bit more time with them to notice it.

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #23,523 of 31,831
Well, male vocal recession is something that seems to be the general consensus. Maybe you just need a bit more time with them to notice it.

You could have a point however I don't own a lick of Michael Bolton :scream: So far the Lou's Reed, Rawls and Gramm sound good:grin: Now if I could just stop listening to all of them at the same time:rolling_eyes:

Tri-Planar.JPG

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #23,525 of 31,831
TRN V90 is a steal at $20

more like 30 USD

but at that price range I prefer the TRN BA5 which come pretty close to 32-36 USD nowadays (especially with coupons even lower)

output is simply superb for that price point

it's a full-BA IEM but it doesn't bother me much - in fact I quite like the higher agility and details also the bass on the V90 can be too much at times (like with the BLON BL03)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #23,526 of 31,831
Well I have a new sub <$100 entrant for myself ($72) and I'm simply blown away that this much iem can be had for so little but of course like always we all hear them differently :rolling_eyes: Seriously the best purchase I've made in a while, may even be a bigger bargain if they go down in the next AliEx sale:grin:

LZ Mini 6.JPG

LZ Mini 6 for the winner winner Chicken dinner:astonished:

Some of the best highs I have heard from any IEM. Bass also exceptional. There is, for me, something missing from the deeper male vocals...which the full A6 addresses, I am led to believe. Still it's a great IEM for the price, but unfortunately I don't have the financial resources to buy/listen to the full A6. Wonderful treble though on the A6 mini..... and much classical music is unbeatable listening through this LZ A6 mini.

FWIW on the 27/03/20 Aliexpress Anniversary sale, the lowest forecasted prices for the LZ A6 Mini and LZ A6 are $51 and $209 respectively. And this is before Aliexpress coupon stacking, so maybe it is even cheaper. These are the lowest prices I've ever seen them at, I think LZ may be clearing stock like the previous firesale prices for their famous LZ Semkarch SKC CNT1.

Very very tempting, but I'm not really a fan of piezos and have limited funds this sale, so I'm still considering. But a lack of male vocals will probably shift me away away to other stuff.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #23,527 of 31,831
I'm nearly ready to post my review of the KBEAR Diamond. I am very impressed by it, from presentation and accessories, build, comfort and especially sound quality. It has jumped to #1 on my list! I am finding little to criticise. It's a winner!

Yep it is my favourite sub $100 DD IEM. Great timbre and tonality, it's my go to for jazz and classical and acoustic songs. It is a great all rounder too, may even do a job for EDM and faster paced music, which the BLON BL-03 gets muddy with complex instrumentation/multiple instruments.

If I could fault the Diamond (and this is really nitpicking), it is that the Diamond has an average sound stage width and a midbass hump like the BLON BL-03. Personally I'm basshead and don't mind the midbass quantity, but I think those that already found the BLON BL-03 too bassy or those who want a neutral bass might need to look elsewhere.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #23,528 of 31,831
Diamond is very V-shaped.

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #23,529 of 31,831
FWIW on the 27/03/20 Aliexpress Anniversary sale, the lowest forecasted prices for the LZ A6 Mini and LZ A6 are $51 and $209 respectively. And this is before Aliexpress coupon stacking, so maybe it is even cheaper. These are the lowest prices I've ever seen them at, I think LZ may be clearing stock like the previous firesale prices for their famous LZ Semkarch SKC CNT1.

Very very tempting, but I'm not really a fan of piezos and have limited funds this sale, so I'm still considering. But a lack of male vocals will probably shift me away away to other stuff.

yes the A6 Mini is very tempting for this price. After some coupon stacking it will cost probably around $45. When 11.11 was around it was like $65 but i resisted. Now i am doubting again. I have a Shozy Form 1.1 incoming though ......

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #23,530 of 31,831
Yep it is my favourite sub $100 DD IEM. Great timbre and tonality, it's my go to for jazz and classical and acoustic songs. It is a great all rounder too, may even do a job for EDM and faster paced music, which the BLON BL-03 gets muddy with complex instrumentation/multiple instruments.

If I could fault the Diamond (and this is really nitpicking), it is that the Diamond has an average sound stage width and a midbass hump like the BLON BL-03. Personally I'm basshead and don't mind the midbass quantity, but I think those that already found the BLON BL-03 too bassy or those who want a neutral bass might need to look elsewhere.
Yes, there is some added warmth in the mid bass but I find it more natural than the BLON. Soundstage for me is very good (Xduoo X20+ Fiio A5) but not as good on my Hi-fi Walker H2 so it may be source dependent. Musicality is great.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #23,531 of 31,831
Yes, there is some added warmth in the mid bass but I find it more natural than the BLON. Soundstage for me is very good (Xduoo X20+ Fiio A5) but not as good on my Hi-fi Walker H2 so it may be source dependent. Musicality is great.

I found wide and shorter bore eartips eg Tenmark Whirlwinds lower the Diamond's midbass and make the sound more balanced with slightly wider soundstage (Pro tip pun intended courtesy of @illumidata ). Though at a slight loss of isolation. That's my current go to config.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #23,533 of 31,831
I found wide and shorter bore eartips eg Tenmark Whirlwinds lower the Diamond's midbass and make the sound more balanced with slightly wider soundstage (Pro tip pun intended courtesy of @illumidata ). Though at a slight loss of isolation. That's my current go to config.
I haven't experimented with tips yet, I found the stock tips very good. I will try my favourite Spiral Dots!

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #23,534 of 31,831
Just fitted Spiral Dots (M) to the Diamond. Just as Basking Shark said, mid bass calmed a bit and soundstage wider. Thanks!

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #23,535 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back