CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #23,102 of 31,831
I want to like earbuds because my biggest dislike about IEMs is the isolation (outside of flying, at which point <3 my Bose QC30) and especially when I'm out walking I'd rather less isolation than more. Unfortunately while my ears have apparently grown/changed enough over the years that earbuds will stay put if I'm sitting still walking's still a tricky proposition for me. (Tried the Svara-Ls I got off here with ear fins but the ear fins got uncomfortable and I'm not sure they were holding the buds at a good angle anyhow.)

Weirdly, for all that I genuinely dislike wearing on-ear headphones, I've been rocking a pair of JLab Retro wireless headphones the past week or so with no complaints so *shrug*? Not even sure what the heck made me buy them, given I *know* I don't like on-ears but it appears to have been a fortuitous bout of masochism. Plus I think they look awesome, especially with the orange foam on the blue model. (What are you talking about, they clash perfectly!) Still might pick up some Sabbat X12s since I know the earpod style works well for me but at least for now I'm in no rush.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #23,103 of 31,831
I want to like earbuds because my biggest dislike about IEMs is the isolation (outside of flying, at which point <3 my Bose QC30) and especially when I'm out walking I'd rather less isolation than more. Unfortunately while my ears have apparently grown/changed enough over the years that earbuds will stay put if I'm sitting still walking's still a tricky proposition for me. (Tried the Svara-Ls I got off here with ear fins but the ear fins got uncomfortable and I'm not sure they were holding the buds at a good angle anyhow.)

Weirdly, for all that I genuinely dislike wearing on-ear headphones, I've been rocking a pair of JLab Retro wireless headphones the past week or so with no complaints so *shrug*? Not even sure what the heck made me buy them, given I *know* I don't like on-ears but it appears to have been a fortuitous bout of masochism. Plus I think they look awesome, especially with the orange foam on the blue model. (What are you talking about, they clash perfectly!) Still might pick up some Sabbat X12s since I know the earpod style works well for me but at least for now I'm in no rush.

Well definitely isolation is a pro or con depending on your needs and preferences.
But I would generally not use buds outside for a few reasons:
1) Earbud isolation is lacking and one may try to boost the volume to overcome the external noise (which is not a good idea for longterm hearing health). Conversely, sometimes others can also hear your music with a suboptimal isolation, and that may trouble your office workers.
2) To begin with, subbass is not the best in general (for quantity) in buds compared to IEMs which lie inside the ear canal, and bass is usually the first to be lost in noisy environments. There are outlier bassier earbuds like the Smabat ST10, but most are tuned midcentric/treblish, so at least for bassheads like me, it's not ideal to have an entire bass frequency missing in outside listening with buds. Of course some prefer a more neutral bass, and definitely YMMV.
3) Quite a number of buds have higher impedance than run of the mill IEMs, so these need quite a bit of juice to sound good. So going out with stacking amps or additional devices may be a hassle if you want the convenience of just using a smartphone. Maybe unless u got some LGs with high impedance mode and good DACs inside.

For the same reasons above, I try not to use open backed headphones outside too. But I can see that one may prefer less isolation when walking about streets for safety reasons.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #23,104 of 31,831
I honestly hate ANC. I have a Bose QC20s and they're literally migraine simulators. My head isn't really used to such noise reduction. Thank god I only found one, cause I definitely won't buy it lol. I'd probably sell it to get myself some good chi-fi iems.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #23,105 of 31,831
I honestly hate ANC. I have a Bose QC20s and they're literally migraine simulators. My head isn't really used to such noise reduction. Thank god I only found one, cause I definitely won't buy it lol. I'd probably sell it to get myself some good chi-fi iems.

try the Sony's. they don't have that painful ear-sucking experience like the older ANCs. i tried my friend's Bose long ago and hated the weird sensation. but now i have two Sony's and two chifi TWS (Airsun X8 and Dyplay BQC35) that perform great ANC and all of them don't have that sucking sensation

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #23,106 of 31,831
try the Sony's. they don't have that painful ear-sucking experience like the older ANCs. i tried my friend's Bose long ago and hated the weird sensation. but now i have two Sony's and two chifi TWS (Airsun X8 and Dyplay BQC35) that perform great ANC and all of them don't have that sucking sensation
Yeah, you definitely got that feeling right. It really sucks (in the literal sense too)

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #23,107 of 31,831
What about the Opera factory om1

The OM1 is a fine iem for the price IMHO, for my old ears I find them relaxed and pretty even across the spectrum plus they will give you more and a solid bass. I really love their cable as well.:beerchug:

M3s Jazz Opera.JPG

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #23,108 of 31,831
The OM1 is a fine iem for the price IMHO, for my old ears I find them relaxed and pretty even across the spectrum plus they will give you more and a solid bass. I really love their cable as well.:beerchug:

That’s interesting...the shell has the same/similar shape as the QKZ VK4 (which it also shares with the KZ ZST/ZSN/ZS10 Pro). And it also has that same brass ‘lug’ that is also on the QKZ VK4.

Opera Factory:
1A6AB4B4-D07D-4EDC-AA4C-C45DED764EE9.jpeg

VK4:
20F037B7-83EA-4707-9EC0-6F073E4E3034.jpeg

Hmmmm...

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #23,109 of 31,831
Well I may have to consider for that price and I'm well versed in Cambridge:wink: Rig # 1 now has these as my digital front end:beerchug:

And rig # 3 is now powered by this little jewel:thumbsup:

And then there's the original Cambridge Audio, here are my R50 speakers:
IMG_20200220_223449.jpg

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #23,110 of 31,831
And then there's the original Cambridge Audio, here are my R50 speakers:IMG_20200220_223449.jpg

Nice, here's my real British Jewel. Table in rig # 2 :grin:

RP-8 Skeleton.JPG

Guess I better post another nice sub <$100 iem while I'm in here since I've strayed a wee bit:fearful:

Brain Wavz Koel's:wink:

Best 75.JPG

@Slater funny how that shared shell design works eh buddy:rolling_eyes: However I don't think CA ever found it very funny:rolling_eyes:

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #23,111 of 31,831
My review of the Kinera Tyr is now up on my blog: Kinera Tyr Review
The Kinera Tyr is an in-ear monitor utilizing a single 6 mm micro dynamic driver, reportedly designed in collaboration with Final Audio. They are a surprisingly competent budget IEM with a balanced, U-shaped sound signature and no deal-breaking sonic flaws. They do exhibit roll off at either end of the frequency spectrum but not egregiously so. My biggest issue with the Tyr is that the cables are not detachable, but this is forgivable given the low price point (<$30). The inclusion of Final Type E tips in the package is a great added value.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #23,113 of 31,831
Well definitely isolation is a pro or con depending on your needs and preferences.
But I would generally not use buds outside for a few reasons:
1) Earbud isolation is lacking and one may try to boost the volume to overcome the external noise (which is not a good idea for longterm hearing health). Conversely, sometimes others can also hear your music with a suboptimal isolation, and that may trouble your office workers.
2) To begin with, subbass is not the best in general (for quantity) in buds compared to IEMs which lie inside the ear canal, and bass is usually the first to be lost in noisy environments. There are outlier bassier earbuds like the Smabat ST10, but most are tuned midcentric/treblish, so at least for bassheads like me, it's not ideal to have an entire bass frequency missing in outside listening with buds. Of course some prefer a more neutral bass, and definitely YMMV.
3) Quite a number of buds have higher impedance than run of the mill IEMs, so these need quite a bit of juice to sound good. So going out with stacking amps or additional devices may be a hassle if you want the convenience of just using a smartphone. Maybe unless u got some LGs with high impedance mode and good DACs inside.

For the same reasons above, I try not to use open backed headphones outside too. But I can see that one may prefer less isolation when walking about streets for safety reasons.
1. I've got pretty sensitive hearing so I run volume down pretty low regardless of the environment, most of the handful of wireless earphones I've used recently (counting various IEMs on Bluetooth cables separately) have been set at ~20-40% volume and my desktop's sound is set to 10/100 with my music player set to 1/100 (system, not internal volume) *and* the music player's internal volume is at 50-60%.
2. I'm fairly broad in what signatures sound nice, though my specific preference leans a pretty flat u/v shape with a touch of kick in the bass and zing in the treble, but as I'm quite happy with my HD700 for desktop and my IE 40 Pro for laptop this would just be for walking which is an inherently noisy environment thus I'd be less picky. FWIW the Svara-Ls did sound quite good before I decided the ear fins were too uncomfortable. :p
3. See aforementioned comment of "just for walking", so I'd be avoiding those crazy high impedance models regardless. Plus most of 'em cost more than I'm interested in anyhow. :wink:

I haven't actually asked anyone whether they can hear my music, low as I'm playing it, with the JLab Retros but I did the "put the headphones around my knee/leg" test and even from that short a distance it was barely audible even indoors. And it's not just safety, though that is a consideration, I just don't like the closed-in feeling closed headphones give (outside of specific environments where isolation is actually the point) and while IEMs aren't anywhere near that bad it's still a factor for me.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #23,115 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back