CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #23,041 of 31,831
Nice, I also like the NiceHCK M6 with the BGVP filters. The stock filters made the midbass too boomy and woolly, but with the BGVP filters, it is quite balanced, thick note weight but good timbre/details still.

I have always wanted to try the Shuoer Tape, but a lot of feedback here about the QC issues on it. You experience any problems in QC so far?

Nope haven't had any real issues with them, however there is one minor kink about them that concerns me. Sometimes when I leave them in my ears for a prolonged period of time (4+ hours), one earpiece often decreases in volume and feels like as if there is pressure being built up within the housing (i.e. poor air circulation). Fortunately the sound returns back to normal after I let them sit for a while.

The only other IEM I've had this same thing occur was the Revonext QT2, which eventually led to a permanent loss of nearly half of its volume. So I'm definitely a bit worried that repeated occurrences of this with the Tape would also result in the same fate as the QT2.

warning from 10db+ peak on 3.5khz, thats my deal breaker

Honestly, somehow my ears aren't really bothered by that peak. I rarely notice it with all the things I listen to (music, YT videos, podcasts). I find that vocals on my Kanas Pro seem way more harsher than on the Tape, like in a metallic sort of way.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #23,042 of 31,831
Nope haven't had any real issues with them, however there is one minor kink about them that concerns me. Sometimes when I leave them in my ears for a prolonged period of time (4+ hours), one earpiece often decreases in volume and feels like as if there is pressure being built up within the housing (i.e. poor air circulation). Fortunately the sound returns back to normal after I let them sit for a while.

The only other IEM I've had this same thing occur was the Revonext QT2, which eventually led to a permanent loss of nearly half of its volume. So I'm definitely a bit worried that repeated occurrences of this with the Tape would also result in the same fate as the QT2.

That possibly may be due to moisture building up in the nozzle/filter of the IEM? I saw @HungryPanda post something similar about his IEMs that day I think. Maybe we can ask the expertise of the panda here.
U use your Tapes indoors or outdoors? So far, I've only heard of the MMCX issue with the Tapes, but this sound cutting out thing is new.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #23,043 of 31,831
That possibly may be due to moisture building up in the nozzle/filter of the IEM? I saw @HungryPanda post something similar about his IEMs that day I think. Maybe we can ask the expertise of the panda here.
U use your Tapes indoors or outdoors? So far, I've only heard of the MMCX issue with the Tapes, but this sound cutting out thing is new.

You know what, I think that might be it. I remember swapping the mesh filters from L to R and vice versa and the "blocked sound" was reversed to the other ear.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #23,044 of 31,831
Though not always, every now and then I'd pull out my **** **** and give it a good listen. This is one of those times.

And wow, these IEMs never cease to amaze me.

The **** is honestly one of the most unique sounding IEMs I've ever heard. Instantly switching from the Tape to the **** was a massive shift in sound. The Tape bore your typical mild V-shape sound with a typical emphasis at 3khz. The **** is something entirely different tonality wise. I think there is a dip at 3khz on the ****, which makes listening sessions a bit more relaxed and comfortable.

Soundstage from the Tape to the **** was like going from a concert hall into a drum room. However the ****'s soundstage is deeper, placing sounds right behind your head rather than adjacent. The super great imaging makes for an immersive experience within the intimate soundstage.

My first impressions of them were actually not that great. But the more I listened to them, the more I realized just how special the sound was. It's honestly a refreshing departure from your run-of-the-mill sound signature.

Though despite my fondness for the ****, I'm going to put these away for another few weeks or even months, and whenever I feel fatigued from my other IEMs I'll just pull them out again for yet another refreshing experience.

The **** is like bleach but for my ears :smile:

JICpGu5.jpg

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #23,045 of 31,831
Though not always, every now and then I'd pull out my **** **** and give it a good listen. This is one of those times.

And wow, these IEMs never cease to amaze me.

The **** is honestly one of the most unique sounding IEMs I've ever heard. Instantly switching from the Tape to the **** was a massive shift in sound. The Tape bore your typical mild V-shape sound with a typical emphasis at 3khz. The **** is something entirely different tonality wise. I think there is a dip at 3khz on the ****, which makes listening sessions a bit more relaxed and comfortable.

Soundstage from the Tape to the **** was like going from a concert hall into a drum room. However the ****'s soundstage is deeper, placing sounds right behind your head rather than adjacent. The super great imaging makes for an immersive experience within the intimate soundstage.

My first impressions of them were actually not that great. But the more I listened to them, the more I realized just how special the sound was. It's honestly a refreshing departure from your run-of-the-mill sound signature.

Though despite my fondness for the ****, I'm going to put these away for another few weeks or even months, and whenever I feel fatigued from my other IEMs I'll just pull them out again for yet another refreshing experience.

The **** is like bleach but for my ears :smile:

JICpGu5.jpg
**** Pro is great too, but slightly more V shaped.

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #23,047 of 31,831
You know what, I think that might be it. I remember swapping the mesh filters from L to R and vice versa and the "blocked sound" was reversed to the other ear.

I think the TRN BA5 and possibly the A6 mini had some reports here about this moisture build up thing causing intermittent sound loss. But once u stop using it and it dries out, the sound returns magically.

If that's truly the case with your Tapes, maybe just try using it in an air conditioned or low humidity/cool environment and see if this fixes the issue?

Are the Westone W4R iem still good?
Read the W40 are basically the same.

Maybe try asking in the dedicated westone thread? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-westone-w-series.683099/page-88#post-15465488
These westones won't belong in a sub $100 thread. Even in the thread above, the latest post by a headfier says chifi are better than his W40, so make of it what you will.

TBH i was a westone fanboy since 15 yeas ago, I owned 3 pairs of westones and i gotta say some $50 chifi multi BA/hybrids can nowadays can hit almost the same sound quality but cost 10 times less. I don't have the W4R or W40, but i have the westone W30 and westone 3 and they are way overpriced IMHO. And they were made in china too and gave me QC problems within two years of use, so I've stopped buying westones since the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #23,049 of 31,831
DUNU DM-480 and Diamond are very different, though they are both dynamic driver setups. Between the two, DM-480 has better isolation and soundstage.
The DM-480 is a dual DD, and it actually sounds more like a multi BA setup in terms of resolution/technicalities than a traditional DD set. Meaning its technicalities/resolution are pretty close to some sub $50 multi BA sets, and trumps all my other DD sets in this area. Though unfortunately it also inherits the timbre/tonality of the traditional multi BA sets, so it's timbre and note weight is not as good as other DD sets.

The Diamond's technicalities are pretty good for a DD setup, but it excels at timbre/tonality, and has a similar sound signature to the BLON BL-03, though with improvements in technicalities, isolation, fit, timbre, tonality. Except it loses to the BL-03 in soundstage width, though the Diamond's soundstage width and height are deeper.

Both the Diamond and DM-480 have good subbass extension and quantity, though the DM-480's bass is linear, with no midbass bump typical of the BLON BL-03 and Diamond. Both Diamond and DM-480 have quite accurate and speedy textured bass, but the Diamond's note weight is thicker.

Both are U shaped, but if u are going for technicalities and details, or complex music, go for the DM-480. If timbre and accurate reproduction of acoustic instruments/vocals are more important, than go for the Diamond.
Thanks for your detailed impressions. I will go for DM480 and skip Diamond which is very much in BLO3's ilk as I feel paying anything more than Blons is not worth it for my shallow pockets. Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #23,050 of 31,831
**** Pro is great too, but slightly more V shaped.

Haven't heard those, but I like the neutral signature of the ****. It's a refreshing experience after listening to V-shaped IEMs.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #23,052 of 31,831
Haven't heard those, but I like the neutral signature of the ****. It's a refreshing experience after listening to V-shaped IEMs.

if you like detailed highs, **** pro offer similar signature but with more boosted trebles. And a little bit improvement on soundstage, separation and details. They have additional 1 BA compared to old ****.
for me the best part is much better timbre than odd old ****. Too bad mi-upper bass bleed still there a bit muddying midrange. But for the price they are really a bargain

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #23,053 of 31,831
I think the TRN BA5 and possibly the A6 mini had some reports here about this moisture build up thing causing intermittent sound loss. But once u stop using it and it dries out, the sound returns magically.

If that's truly the case with your Tapes, maybe just try using it in an air conditioned or low humidity/cool environment and see if this fixes the issue?
yeah this sounds like a good explanation for the intermittent issues that I was having with my TRN BA5. this is good advice which I can use to try to get good mileage out of them, but looks like i can't use them as my real daily driver.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #23,054 of 31,831
I just received the Tennmak Pro and realized that MMCX cable from the Moxpad X3 don't fit at all. How many types of mmcx connection exist?

I just got the cable to use the Tennmak Pro. Honestly I don't understand what people find so good about these IEMs. They're dark, muffled and with a lack layering. In general they don't sound that good in quality.

To this day I still haven't found anything that sounds as good or better than the Sony M1HC. Probably is just a personal taste.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #23,055 of 31,831
I just got the cable to use the Tennmak Pro. Honestly I don't understand what people find so good about these IEMs. They're dark, muffled and with a lack layering. In general they don't sound that good in quality.

I tried the Pro a while back as well, and felt like you did about it - dark, quite muffled, very cheap sounding.

I just assumed I just got a bad pair, because I know a lot of people really like them and have good things to say about them. I ended up just giving them to one of my kid's school friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back