CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #22,442 of 31,831
I haven't had the chance to try many Chifi brands, but out of all the iems I own the Trn V90 turned out to be my absolute favorite, even if they required some work. I started trying several KZ models and the ZSX turned out to be my daily pic, with the Zsn pro a close second (Zst pro and ZS10 staying in the closet 99% of the time). I then decided to give Trn a chance, and while I enjoyed their overall sound signature there was something missing in the low end, which was odd to me because according to their specs they should be able to push out a good amount of bass.
One day I noticed that when listening to the Zsx I had to keep moving them around because of poor fit. I got some Spinfit tips and not only did this improve the comfort, but the improved isolation also resulted in slightly better sound quality. I did the same with the V90: holy cow, what a difference. Using Spinfit tips the Iem went a tiny bit closer to my eardrums (maybe 1mm?) and using L size tips I reached amazing levels of isolation. Now the low end is there, it's a huge step up from the Zsx and the vocals are still nice and crisp.
I couldn't believe what a difference the tips can make.

Now of course I'm still curious to try new iems 8) Though I doubt I'll buy anything in the 50$ range, at least until the V100. I'm looking closer to the 100$ threshold right now.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #22,443 of 31,831
I haven't had the chance to try many Chifi brands, but out of all the iems I own the Trn V90 turned out to be my absolute favorite, even if they required some work. I started trying several KZ models and the ZSX turned out to be my daily pic, with the Zsn pro a close second (Zst pro and ZS10 staying in the closet 99% of the time). I then decided to give Trn a chance, and while I enjoyed their overall sound signature there was something missing in the low end, which was odd to me because according to their specs they should be able to push out a good amount of bass.
One day I noticed that when listening to the Zsx I had to keep moving them around because of poor fit. I got some Spinfit tips and not only did this improve the comfort, but the improved isolation also resulted in slightly better sound quality. I did the same with the V90: holy cow, what a difference. Using Spinfit tips the Iem went a tiny bit closer to my eardrums (maybe 1mm?) and using L size tips I reached amazing levels of isolation. Now the low end is there, it's a huge step up from the Zsx and the vocals are still nice and crisp.

Now of course I'm still curious to try new iems 8) Though I doubt I'll buy anything in the 50$ range, at least until the V100. I'm looking closer to the 100$ threshold right now.
Sounds like you need a TFZ no 3 in your life

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #22,444 of 31,831

Definitely tips will make or break an IEM. ---> case in point BLON BL-03. Different tips not only affect comfort/isolation, but they also influence sound signature for better or worse. In general, I find wider bore silicone tips lower the bass whereas narrow bore ones increase it. And foam tips generally decrease the treble.

If u cannot hear the bass frequencies well in a supposedly bassy IEM like the TRN V90, that is usually a tip/fit issue. Most of us in this hobby will tiproll (try out different eartips) when we get our hands on a new IEM, as we all have different ear anatomies so it's not guranteed that the stock tips will fit everyone OOTB. YMMV.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #22,445 of 31,831
Sounds like you need a TFZ no 3 in your life

My current wishlist includes ikko OH10 and BQEYZ Spring 1, but as the cost goes up it will take a bit longer to fix the itch 8)

If u cannot hear the bass frequencies well in a supposedly bassy IEM like the TRN V90, that is usually a tip/fit issue. Most of us in this hobby will tiproll (try out different eartips) when we get our hands on a new IEM, as we all have different ear anatomies so it's not guranteed that the stock tips will fit everyone OOTB. YMMV.

100% agree. I'm mainly a headphone/speaker guy, and i wasn't expecting the eartips to impact the sound of iems that much. I've been extremely lucky, because in Taipei I found a store that has the whole Spinfit stock available for testing in all sizes. After spending there 45 minutes I was extremely glad to give her some $$$, the way the V90 sounded after I left the store made me think I had just bought a new set of expensive iems.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #22,446 of 31,831
Jan 5, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #22,448 of 31,831
Listening to it now (finally :grinning: ). This really takes me back...scintillating stuff, the BA5 loves it!
Picked up Forces of Victory as well, and some Lee Perry.

Great rec. Thank you.
"It Dread inna Inglan" is also wonderful from the same album!

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #22,449 of 31,831
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #22,450 of 31,831

You need to jump on the LZ A6 Mini train ASAP. Phenomenal sounding IEM that's on clearance. From $180 to $70ish right now. Once they are gone, people are going to be bumming they didn't get one. Also LZ A5 is just starting to make the clearance rounds. I believe it was $280 now marked down to $88 on Taobao.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #22,451 of 31,831
You need to jump on the LZ A6 Mini train ASAP. Phenomenal sounding IEM that's on clearance. From $180 to $70ish right now. Once they are gone, people are going to be bumming they didn't get one. Also LZ A5 is just starting to make the clearance rounds. I believe it was $280 now marked down to $88 on Taobao.
LZ A5 is already gone now, so yes get on the mini train

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #22,453 of 31,831
LZ make the mini, but they also made the Semkarch CNT1. I have both and I would say the CBT1 is the better IEM, IMHO of course.
Seems all their iems are very good.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #22,455 of 31,831
Back to IEMs, have not you heard the recent breakthrough news of CCA C10 becoming the hottest IEM :L3000:(finishing with a prominent "+" distinction in a prestigious list ahead of many others worthy contenders)? That will most likely further strengthen the ever growing CCA/KZ popularity :)
CCA and KZ could become the best audio company in the world and I still wouldn't care. :wink: I bought 15 of their iems and they were all generally terrible (compared to the ones in my sig). I've rather listen to terrible iems from other companies now.

With that being said, I just heard the TRN BA5 uses the same components as the KZ AS06 and that scares me. I think they're probably best friends... but I'm trying to stay away from KZ-like components. But, some people seem to like the BA5 and it's always priced well. $40USD right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back