CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #22,186 of 31,831
The earphone that fits my ears well for use while sleeping, and that costs ~$20 - $25, is the Tennmak Pro.

+1

Just bought another pair for less than 9€ during last sale (w/o cable). Added a Nicehck cable for ~ 6€. Very nice and comfortable combination.
IMG_20191229_130130.jpg

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #22,188 of 31,831
That's not what I said but it can be measured. The rest is subjective.
I have not tried to attribute it to you, I was expressing my thoughts in relation to your statement.

If there are relevant measurable quantities, they need to be directly attributed to the measurable sound difference.
If no such evidence is established, and the difference perceived is said to be "individual " and "subjective", then the colour difference should be also fully accepted as a major part of psychoacoustical cable experience.
I have 15+ differently coloured cables and fully enjoy them all :)

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #22,189 of 31,831
I would try those but I'm in Europe. What is the exact model? I found it elsewhere (x1 model) for $70 and more.

They are on Amazon UK for £20 or so and can be found on eBay for a bit more. Be aware that they are EXTREMELY bright sounding.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #22,190 of 31,831
I measured A6/A6Mini cable at 0.370 ohm which is pretty low. Also the stock cable is rugged AF and built to last IMO. Its a great cable. It also looks tough and cool. I personally like the murdered out look of the stock cable. I understand if you need to feel pretty and want to replace with something that makes you feel beautiful though. By all means get you some bling and show off. :smile:

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #22,191 of 31,831
The only objective measurements are resistance, if you have a look at @hakuzen cable thread on here. I can definitely hear a difference between cables when using the same source and iem. I also feel that the degree of difference is directly proportional to the quality of the cable itself and your other hardware. The bottom line is that it is fun for me and all part of the journey. Who here doesn't tip roll?

Cables make a difference IMHO. Sometimes a big difference.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #22,192 of 31,831
I have not tried to attribute it to you, I was expressing my thoughts in relation to your statement.

If there are relevant measurable quantities, they need to be directly attributed to the measurable sound difference.
If no such evidence is established, and the difference perceived is said to be "individual " and "subjective", then the colour difference should be also fully accepted as a major part of psychoacoustical cable experience.
I have 15+ differently coloured cables and fully enjoy them all :)

Being silly.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #22,196 of 31,831
I measured A6/A6Mini cable at 0.370 ohm which is pretty low. Also the stock cable is rugged AF and built to last IMO. Its a great cable. It also looks tough and cool. I personally like the murdered out look of the stock cable. I understand if you need to feel pretty and want to replace with something that makes you feel beautiful though. By all means get you some bling and show off. :smile:
I liked the appearance and sound of the A6 mini stock cable, I just had an issue with the ear hooks/guides tending to push the shells outward and breaking the seal, especially when walking. I had to switch to a cable without guides to make it all work for me.

The one I'm using now looks a bit goofy but at least the comfort is there :)

Dec 29, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #22,198 of 31,831
btw, i know a lot of people here are into cable rolling, but im naturally a cable skeptic, im not gonna spend any money on those beautiful looking faaeal cables unless i have something other than subjective ears to go on. has anyone gotten measurement results of differences when cable rolling? has someone done a systematic comparison with graphs and posted it somewhere?

Skip down to the section titled, "cables … do they differ ?" in this AudioQuest NightHawk review:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-quest/

As you can see, some cables can affect the sound. He explains how the basic properties (resistance, capacitance, inductance) of a cable come into play, and why the differing resistance of these two cables in particular matters, especially since both cables are TRS (non-balanced) and share a return wire, so crosstalk is affected too. The summary:

The difference in resistance thus makes the difference here. The low impedance of the driver combined with the unusual high resistance of the gold cable does indeed create an audible difference that is perceived as less ‘full’ sounding than the lower resistance silver cable. It isn’t perceived as ‘less loud’ which one would expect.
Also the difference in resistance leads to a different stereo-separation and stereo-image due to the common return wire.
It would seem as AQ added a ‘poor quality’ cable with nice looking goldplated connectors to ‘show’ how ‘good’ their more expensive cables are.
Some people might think .. ah well so the silver is a better conductor which explains the difference in resistance. This might SEEM to be the case BUT the ‘trickery’ involved here is that the used conductors in the ‘gold’ cable are MUCH thinner than in the ‘silver’ cable.
It’s that diameter difference that is the real cause of the difference in resistance.
So now you know… the ‘silver’ cable plays a little LOUDER and has a different stereo-image (crosstalk, not crossfeed) on purpose to ‘show’ their customers how ‘important’ the cable is but secretly tricked you by adding a higher resistance cable which you may just as well throw away ?

Resistance can also come into play with some headphone amplifiers, where if the ratio between the headphone amp impedance and the headphone/earphone impedance isn't ideal for a given pairing then the way the headphones/earphones sound will be affected (generally speaking lower headphone amp impedance is better):

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Headphone amp impedance can vary a lot from amp to amp, and people posting here don't always know/talk about the impedance of the devices they are using for listening when they talk about their impressions. The same headphones plugged into a Dell XPS8930 desktop computer with a Realtek HD audio interface (130 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8930-realtek-hd-audio-interface-review.10403/

will sound different plugged into a Sennheiser HDV-820 (45 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-hdv-820-usb-dac-headphone-amp-review.10393/

and different yet again when plugged into a Shiit Heresy (1.3 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

And those differences will vary in significance from one headphone/earphone model to another, depending on their characteristics and the load they place on the amp, which can vary a lot depending on the frequencies being played and the headphones, for a given volume (let's not forget the Fletcher Munson Curve)... and the cable becomes part of that mix. And I'm not even talking about the mental impact of sighted listening, where color and shape of the cables and equipment affects how you hear, which is an additional factor, but how much that affects people isn't a consistent property. So, there's a lot of factors to consider!

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #22,199 of 31,831
Skip down to the section titled, "cables … do they differ ?" in this AudioQuest NightHawk review:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-quest/

As you can see, some cables can affect the sound. He explains how the basic properties (resistance, capacitance, inductance) of a cable come into play, and why the differing resistance of these two cables in particular matters, especially since both cables are TRS (non-balanced) and share a return wire, so crosstalk is affected too. The summary:

Resistance can also come into play with some headphone amplifiers, where if the ratio between the headphone amp impedance and the headphone/earphone impedance isn't ideal for a given pairing then the way the headphones/earphones sound will be affected (generally speaking lower headphone amp impedance is better):

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Headphone amp impedance can vary a lot from amp to amp, and people posting here don't always know/talk about the impedance of the devices they are using for listening when they talk about their impressions. The same headphones plugged into a Dell XPS8930 desktop computer with a Realtek HD audio interface (130 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8930-realtek-hd-audio-interface-review.10403/

will sound different plugged into a Sennheiser HDV-820 (45 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-hdv-820-usb-dac-headphone-amp-review.10393/

and different yet again when plugged into a Shiit Heresy (1.3 ohm):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

And those differences will vary in significance from one headphone/earphone model to another, depending on their characteristics and the load they place on the amp, which can vary a lot depending on the frequencies being played and the headphones, for a given volume (let's not forget the Fletcher Munson Curve)... and the cable becomes part of that mix. And I'm not even talking about the mental impact of sighted listening, where color and shape of the cables and equipment affects how you hear, which is an additional factor, but how much that affects people isn't a consistent property. So, there's a lot of factors to consider!
thanks a ton, your reply has all sorts great interesting information. didn't help me make a decision on whether to buy those faaeal cables (which i have more reasons than just sq to want), but exactly the information i wanted nonetheless.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #22,200 of 31,831
I was wondering what your method of burning in IEM's is.
I know that the time the IEM's spend being burned in varies from person to person, but what I'm interested is what tracks do you play on the, and at what volume?
If anybody can leave a link to the music/noise they use for burning in, it'd be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back