CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #21,722 of 31,831
Yea the Sony sounds great but.... Its cheap and flimsy build is off putting and that cable is an issue. Hard for me to recommend to anyone. Probably the best sounding for most people tho.

That is why I thought of the ED9 first. It is sturdy and easy to fit.

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #21,723 of 31,831
You know, that's an interesting question. I have both the MH755 and original Y*nY*o V2 (1st tuning).

The MH755 is probably closer to the BL-03 in terms of tuning. Both are Harman-esque, I think, with the BL-03 being more towards the Oxygen I'm told. I compared the BL-03 with the MH755 directly, and they are both on that spectrum. Definitely the MH755 has a 'natural' tuning where instruments just sound right. Surprisingly, it also has decent isolation, if you can get a good seal. Those are its strengths. Because it's a little 'thin' sounding for me, even though the bass is decent. It's also prefers AMP/DAC/DAP setups, as it benefits from more power. It's gentle, and I can imagine myself using the MH755 at nighttime to go to sleep.

The Y*nY*o V2 is not Harman-tuned. This isn't a big deal for me, Harman is just one nice tuning among others. I would say the OG V2 took a 'neutral' tuning as a starting point, and then made it more 'musical.' It's basically a Tin Audio T2 tuning but they played with the shape a little to make it more fun. I used to take the V2 everywhere with me, because it's really easy to drive from a mobile device. It doesn't need power or amping.

Fit of the V2 isn't very problematic, but I found it an absolute necessity to use foam tips in order to get the best seal. When you get a good seal, you can hear the uncluttered and complete V2 sound. I use Comply 400 tips. Size 500 might fit better, I'm not sure. Like others have said, the V2 is good for the more relaxing music, playing it softly and melodically. It's thick and warm, and can give pleasant vocals. It has better bass than the Tin T2, so it doesn't feel as if you are missing out on the pop and indie rock.

The V2 is probably a better IEM for mobile phones than the MH755, but it's actually pretty close. The MH755 might beat it in isolation for some people, although I wouldn't really want to drive it from a phone. V2 comes with a useful case, and MH755 doesn't. But you're taking a risk with the third and final tuning (currently available) because some say it is more boring and generic than the original V2. I'll know more when my 3rd tuning arrive
You know, that's an interesting question. I have both the MH755 and original Y*nY*o V2 (1st tuning).

The MH755 is probably closer to the BL-03 in terms of tuning. Both are Harman-esque, I think, with the BL-03 being more towards the Oxygen I'm told. I compared the BL-03 with the MH755 directly, and they are both on that spectrum. Definitely the MH755 has a 'natural' tuning where instruments just sound right. Surprisingly, it also has decent isolation, if you can get a good seal. Those are its strengths. Because it's a little 'thin' sounding for me, even though the bass is decent. It's also prefers AMP/DAC/DAP setups, as it benefits from more power. It's gentle, and I can imagine myself using the MH755 at nighttime to go to sleep.

The Y*nY*o V2 is not Harman-tuned. This isn't a big deal for me, Harman is just one nice tuning among others. I would say the OG V2 took a 'neutral' tuning as a starting point, and then made it more 'musical.' It's basically a Tin Audio T2 tuning but they played with the shape a little to make it more fun. I used to take the V2 everywhere with me, because it's really easy to drive from a mobile device. It doesn't need power or amping.

Fit of the V2 isn't very problematic, but I found it an absolute necessity to use foam tips in order to get the best seal. When you get a good seal, you can hear the uncluttered and complete V2 sound. I use Comply 400 tips. Size 500 might fit better, I'm not sure. Like others have said, the V2 is good for the more relaxing music, playing it softly and melodically. It's thick and warm, and can give pleasant vocals. It has better bass than the Tin T2, so it doesn't feel as if you are missing out on the pop and indie rock.

The V2 is probably a better IEM for mobile phones than the MH755, but it's actually pretty close. The MH755 might beat it in isolation for some people, although I wouldn't really want to drive it from a phone. V2 comes with a useful case, and MH755 doesn't. But you're taking a risk with the third and final tuning (currently available) because some say it is more boring and generic than the original V2. I'll know more when my 3rd tuning arrives.
Since you mentioned tin t2, it is also one of my choices. But others said it lacks in bass, what do they mean? As in it lacks so much? Or it still give a good bass?

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #21,724 of 31,831
Since you mentioned tin t2, it is also one of my choices. But others said it lacks in bass, what do they mean? As in it lacks so much? Or it still give a good bass?
It has low impact of bass compared to many others in the price range, the bass is still fine in my opinion as long as you're not driving it with a phone or want those phat beatzzzz from your hip hop. It does not have an impact in any frequency really, smooth listen. Don't buy them if you want to be excited by anything.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #21,725 of 31,831
If I had $10 and needed an IEM, It would probably be KZ ED9. My second choice would be NiceHCK EP10. 3rd choice would be EZAUDIO D4.

Another recommendation for KZ ED9, KZ EDR1 given that you are in Serbia and finding a Sony Mh755 and recable it might be difficult.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #21,726 of 31,831
Yea the Sony sounds great but.... Its cheap and flimsy build is off putting and that cable is an issue. Hard for me to recommend to anyone. Probably the best sounding for most people tho.

Yeah, the awful cable is a deal-breaker unless you have the skills and tools to replace the cable yourself, otherwise paying someone to do it bumps it out of the sub-$10 tier.

I was able to get the Pioneer SE-CH5BL for about $16. It's got a non-removable 2.2 mm balanced cable if you have a compatible source for that, but one hell of a deal for that price if you have the right tips for it.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #21,727 of 31,831
After listening to the C12 for a while today, I've found that the treble is just a bit too much. I tend to have a headache most of the time and listening to them during one was fatiguing. It's so close to not being too much treble though. The clarity/resolution is very, very good which makes me sad I can't enjoy these.

I ordered the BA5 and the BL-03 (I couldn't resist, wanted to hear them for myself after all the positive reviews) so hopefully the BA5 will still have that clarity while toning down the highs enough to be comfortable. Seems like the soundstage and imaging is better on the BA5 as well which will be nice as I found it to be a bit narrow on the C12.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #21,728 of 31,831
I'm new to Head-Fi, but found this thread.
What is the best IEM for 10 bucks? One that you can just enjoy music with and not pinpoint sound signature and so on?
Definitely would agree with the ED9 and EDR1. HD9 is also a consideration, you can get if for a cent when you are a new user.

Yeah, the awful cable is a deal-breaker unless you have the skills and tools to replace the cable yourself
I actually never thought about recabling. I have two pair of earphones whose cables are pretty much trashed.. but then again, I don't know how big of a job recabling is.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #21,729 of 31,831
Yup, EDR1, ED9, MH750/5, BL01 all fit into that category. None of them change the world but for the money they are all brilliant "earphone as tool". Sometimes it's nice to listen to the music with zero care for the gear.
@snkrsyourmom This is what Tony said a few pages back.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #21,730 of 31,831
After listening to the C12 for a while today, I've found that the treble is just a bit too much. I tend to have a headache most of the time and listening to them during one was fatiguing. It's so close to not being too much treble though. The clarity/resolution is very, very good which makes me sad I can't enjoy these.

If you have a bit of micro-pore tape you could try putting a couple of thin strips across the nozzle. Remove the tips, apply the tape then replace the tip. Also, some tips tame treble more than others. There are a few iems that benefit from the tape mod.

I am not sure which IEM this is or whose photo this is. I just did a search for micropore tape and this was one of the results.

oOIpyAdl.jpg

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #21,733 of 31,831
Any moron could do it

What about this guy?
0C27432E-0F5A-48D2-B5CE-9131495BB0A7.jpeg

Or this genius?
1A7D6C78-F79D-4F6F-88E4-F0CC1EAB59CD.jpeg

I doubt these 3 guys would be your 1st choice either. Plumbing or wallpapering, maybe. Recabling, nah:
731A2799-F6A1-4A6D-8413-1F45BB4F54F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #21,735 of 31,831
Any moron could do it
I'll look into it, I always had the understanding that it's something which isn't done.. Hopefully I'm a little bit smarter than a moron and figure it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back