CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #12,871 of 31,809
Don't just rely on one person's view. Every one has different sense of hearing. I also have KZ ZS6 and I like it very much. I don't hear the heavy top end and serious lack of bass as described by crezo. By the way, I'm a classical musician with very good hearing.

Absolutely.

The KZ ZS6 is still one of the best deals around especially at 26€. It has a good sense of stage and great separation, and It's dynamics and details makes you get lost in music. Great around all spectrum of frequancies. Better sub-bass, bass and mids than the great ZS5v1. I just love it.

I'm using comply tips and I sense no piercing treble at all. I'm 45 though, so maybe a 20's old ear is different in the treble department.

I tried almost all KZ's and dozens of others IEMs and the ZS6 is still one of the best (the best KZs for me are: ZS10 > ZS6 > ED16 > ED9 > EDR1).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #12,872 of 31,809
Id personally stay away from the F9's. I had the f9 pros they were simply unlistenable. The treble was painfully sharp, no bass and just a really uncomfortable sound if you listen at any sort of volume. And this is from someone who likes a bright trebble and a good old v signature. Beautifully made casings and cables, but shocking sound.

The trn v80s are infinitely better in my opinion in terms of sound.

This surprises me as I found the treble to be the worst part of the TRN v80 and see it as entirely over-hyped at this point. To Me, the Fiio F9 and TRN v80 have similar problems in that both have hyper aggressive treble.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #12,873 of 31,809
So apparently AB just reviewed the BQEYZ K2 which sits in the ~$50 price range and lauded them, but the real question is: are they better than the QT2?

Yes, considerably. I reviewed both of the banned ones and the BQEYZ k2 and kc2 and they are very different signatures. I put the K2 and Kc2 at the top of my $50 bracket with the Tin Audio T2 as best in class right now. To me, the banned had some good features but also some pretty major drawbacks.
Reviews of all of them are posted to my blog (link in signature).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #12,874 of 31,809
This surprises me as I found the treble to be the worst part of the TRN v80 and see it as entirely over-hyped at this point. To Me, the Fiio F9 and TRN v80 have similar problems in that both have hyper aggressive treble.
Haa This is one of those examples of how tricky this hobby can be when it comes to recommendations and reviews!

As it seems we all hear different things, have different sound signature preference and all listen to different music from different different devices. So what is the percect holy grail 'I've finally found my end of the line perfect iem' for one person, can sound lifeless or too bright to someone else.

Keeps things interesting and just means we all NEED to try more gear to find what's right for us :wink:

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #12,875 of 31,809
Any recommendations for a neutral or neutral warm pair of iems around 100usd? Was supposed to order the Audbos P4 but the seller failed to ship the item.
Considering the HiSenior B5+ as of the moment. Thank you.

Reference IEMS I had in the past for comparison
IT01 - Vshaped for me
King Pro - Vshaped, a bit thin in the mids

Looking for something balanced all arlaro like the Tin Audio T2.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,876 of 31,809
Any recommendations for a neutral or neutral warm pair of iems around 100usd? Was supposed to order the Audbos P4 but the seller failed to ship the item.

IT01 - Vshaped for me

How about toneking t4 @thejoker13

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #12,877 of 31,809

IT01 - Vshaped for me

Save a few bucks and try the BQEYZ KC2. they are an absolute steal at $40 when on sale.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #12,879 of 31,809
Toneking ninetail seems like a good deal for >$100

My Nine Tail has arrived in the country... hope to have it tomorrow or Friday:) Can't wait!

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #12,881 of 31,809
I'm new to the head-fi community but I was wondering if anybody has tried the BQEYZ BQ3 IEM? I currently have the TRN V80's and really like them. Also nice profile pic
@FastAndClean (I actually took that pic and posted it on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudi...t_got_the_trn_v80_and_im_blown_away_with_the/). Anyway I've recently really gotten into Chi-Fi and currently have the Tin T2 and the Revonext QT2 on order. To make a long story short after seeing the review on the K2 and how good they are I was wondering if the BQ3 would be even better? I currently have then sitting in my cart and was thinking about pulling the trigger just to see what they sound like what do y'all think.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #12,883 of 31,809
So my new TRN cases arrived. All I have to say is wow these are my favorite cases for large IEMs. They were $0.91 each from Gearbest. Worth every penny!!

Here's a comparison of most of the cases we commonly use (I have many others, but these are the ones most of us have), and the OD dimensions. I did NOT measure the ID, so the measurement do NOT take into account foam liners and the thickness of the plastic/foam etc. The measurements are just a guideline only.

The top row, from left to right:

1. The large rectangular KZ black plastic snap enclosure case (120mm L x 70mm W x 35mm thick). AVERAGE price ~$1.50-$2 each.
2. The new TRN oval fabric style zippered case (110mm L x 70mm W x 40mm thick). AVERAGE price ~$1-$2 each.
3. The larger KZ square fabric style zippered case (80mm L x 65mm W x 25-35mm thick ie it bows larger in the center and tapers out thinner at the ends). AVERAGE price ~$1-$1.50 each.

The bottom row, from left to right:

4. Generic round EPS foam zippered case (70mm Diameter x 25mm thick). AVERAGE price ~$1 each.
5. KZ translucent ABS "Pelican-style" plastic snap enclosure case (80mm L x 50mm W x 35mm thick). AVERAGE price ~$5 each.
6. Smaller KZ "carbon fiber style" square zippered case (65mm L x 65mm W x 25mm thick). AVERAGE price ~$1 each.

Here's a comparison of the side views.

From left to right - KZ black plastic case, TRN oval case, KZ large square case.

From left to right - generic round case, KZ ABS case, KZ small carbon fiber style case.

As a test, I used a "ZS6 style" metal IEM, with KZ braided cable and memory wires formed to my ears and intact. I use this as a test because this is a large bodied setup, and when I put them in a case I don't want to disturb the memory wires. So the case MUST be roomy, and must allow both adequate thickness for the IEM bodies not to touch and scratch one another, but for the cable to have plenty of room. The KZ braided cable is the bulkiest cable I own, so any case that fits this overall setup will fit anything you throw at it!

The cases ranked by overall roomiest to least roomiest:
1. KZ black plastic snap case. Plenty roomy enough for large IEMs and bulky cables.
2. TRN oval zippered case (pretty much a tie with the KZ black case). Plenty roomy enough for large IEMs and bulky cables.
3. KZ large square fabric zippered case (roomy enough for large IEMs and bulky cables, as long as you are careful about winding up your cable)

The following cases did NOT fit my test setup, but I will still rank them for use with smaller IEMs because they will work perfectly fine with them (such as Tin Audio T2, KZ EDR1, etc). Again, ranked from overall roomiest to least roomiest:

4. Generic round zippered case. Not a bad case. I wouldn't recommend it with any memory wire IEM, but it provides just enough room for medium and small bodied IEMs with no memory wire.
5. KZ small square carbon fiber style zippered case. Very small and thin, with minimal room inside. Only the smallest IEMs will fit, and even then will require careful winding of the cable.
6. KZ ABS case. While this is the most "tough" and crush proof, it is comically small inside. Only the smallest IEMs will fit, and even then will require careful winding of the cable.

In my opinion the overall winner is the TRN oval case. It is 90% as roomy as the KZ black plastic case, is cheaper, and is more useful overall. The TRN case has the mesh net on 1 side, which is plenty of room for a 2nd set of IEMs, or a spare cable, loads of tips, etc. The mesh netting also helps to hold and stabilize the IEM inside when the case is closed.

The KZ black plastic case is bulky, the latches are flimsy and can be finicky, and while it's a roomy case and foam lined, the contents just bounce around (and scratch one another). The KZ black plastic case IS nice, however, because it has the foam lining. This lining can easily have very small pieces trimmed off and used for mods (BA and nozzle mods), while still allowing use of the case. I think everyone should own at least 1 if not for this purpose alone. It will also store the largest of the large IEMs. It can even be used for other purposes, such as storing items like smaller phones, phone battery packs, cables, etc.

If you want to see what my test IEM setup looked like inside each case, here you go:

KZ black plastic case - loads of room!

TRN oval zippered case - loads of room!

KZ large square zippered case - quite a bit of room as long as you carefully wrap up the cable

Generic round zippered case (sorry, doesn't really fit)

KZ small square carbon fiber zippered case (uhhh, nowhere near fitting)

KZ ABS clear case (uhhh, nowhere near fitting)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back