CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #23,086 of 31,831
You two are making it awfully difficult to resist getting into ChiFi earbuds :)

You did get a couple of them didn't you? For some reason I thought you did not get on with the fit. Anyway the Earbud Round-Up thread is always available, although things have slowed down because of the virus.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #23,087 of 31,831

LOL :beerchug: I know it's not your thing but for what you can get a real nice bud for you should give them a try at least in the kind of setting I suggest. I bet Tom might even have something special he'd like you to listen too:wink: Not that MB sue couldn't suggest a few herself:grin:

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #23,089 of 31,831
LOL :beerchug: I know it's not your thing but for what you can get a real nice bud for you should give them a try at least in the kind of setting I suggest. I bet Tom might even have something special he'd like you to listen too:wink: Not that MB sue couldn't suggest a few herself:grin:

Even though I have said I prefer buds, there is an iem you should consider. This is a closeout price on the Cambridge Audio SE1 that was done for a charity event a few years ago and is not suddenly being discussed in the other Chinese/Asian IEM thread. They also have an old thread of their own that we are trying to revive.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cambridge-audio-se1.800067/

You can get it from Amazon UK for £25, Amazon.com for $25 and the Cambridge site. They are a well known British audio company. I have been using a set of their speakers on my desktop for several years... and my husband had them for several years before that. He gave them to me when he got bigger ones... that he rarely uses because of headgear.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...rds=cambridge+audio+se1&qid=1582134570&sr=8-4

My husband and I each bought a pair. At that price it would have been rude not to!

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #23,090 of 31,831
You did get a couple of them didn't you? For some reason I thought you did not get on with the fit. Anyway the Earbud Round-Up thread is always available, although things have slowed down because of the virus.

Yes, I have 4 pairs (Headroom MS16, 2 from 2 different banned brands, and the original version of Apple ear buds).

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #23,091 of 31,831
Even though I have said I prefer buds, there is an iem you should consider. This is a closeout price on the Cambridge Audio SE1 that was done for a charity event a few years ago and is not suddenly being discussed in the other Chinese/Asian IEM thread. They also have an old thread of their own that we are trying to revive.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cambridge-audio-se1.800067/

You can get it from Amazon UK for £25, Amazon.com for $25 and the Cambridge site. They are a well known British audio company. I have been using a set of their speakers on my desktop for several years... and my husband had them for several years before that. He gave them to me when he got bigger ones... that he rarely uses because of headgear.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...rds=cambridge+audio+se1&qid=1582134570&sr=8-4

My husband and I each bought a pair. At that price it would have been rude not to!

Well I may have to consider for that price and I'm well versed in Cambridge:wink: Rig # 1 now has these as my digital front end:beerchug:

Cambridge Combo.JPG

And rig # 3 is now powered by this little jewel:thumbsup:

1582137382120.png

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #23,093 of 31,831

even though i more often using TWS and IEMs nowadays, earbuds will always have a special place in my heart :grin:
there's a special something in earbuds sound that not even TOTL IEMs can do..
unless we go in the headphones direction

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #23,094 of 31,831
I have my overpriced Simphonio Dragon 2 plus earbuds being used when gaming on the switch.

Mini open backs with amazing soundstage for on-the-go gaming. They are my mobile hd800s. O.o;

But those aren't budget earbuds at all.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #23,095 of 31,831
I am looking for a iem that's under 35$ I have the one more pistons that I got for 7$ they sound alright they do have trouble with bass tho I would like something that can handle bass a bit better and has decent mid and highs
If u wanted to know the bass notes where 32hz 44hz 27hz is what is has trouble on anyways using poweraudio pro

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #23,096 of 31,831

Unfortunately (or fortunately LOL), @mbwilson111 introduced me to the CHIFI buds rabbithole (it's actually my 3rd rabbithole after IEMs and headphones).

I always looked down on buds for many years as I thought they had zero isolation and lousy subbass extension/quantity. But after entering this rabbithole, I actually have come to appreciate buds for these qualities:
1) Better soundstage than IEMs
2) Generally better timbre/tonality than equivalently priced IEMs
3) Suitable for use if u get ear irritation/infection with IEMs
4) Sort of mini headphones in a way, but without the clamp/heat during summer

I think around $30 - 50 USD can get u some very good sound quality with ear buds, and most of them are midcentric/treble centric, so if you ain't a diehard basshead, earbuds bring their own benefits to the table. So much so I do rotate to use buds at least once a week. There are even basshead buds like the Smabat ST10, so they are indeed a very enticing and separate rabbithole to consider.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #23,097 of 31,831
Unfortunately (or fortunately LOL), @mbwilson111 introduced me to the CHIFI buds rabbithole (it's actually my 3rd rabbithole after IEMs and headphones).

I always looked down on buds for many years as I thought they had zero isolation and lousy subbass extension/quantity. But after entering this rabbithole, I actually have come to appreciate buds for these qualities:
1) Better soundstage than IEMs
2) Generally better timbre/tonality than equivalently priced IEMs
3) Suitable for use if u get ear irritation/infection with IEMs
4) Sort of mini headphones in a way, but without the clamp/heat during summer

I think around $30 - 50 USD can get u some very good sound quality with ear buds, and most of them are midcentric/treble centric, so if you ain't a diehard basshead, earbuds bring their own benefits to the table. So much so I do rotate to use buds at least once a week. There are even basshead buds like the Smabat ST10, so they are indeed a very enticing and separate rabbithole to consider.

What about the Opera factory om1

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #23,098 of 31,831
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #23,100 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back