CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #22,396 of 31,831
You like the BA5... good good...
Im so close to buying a pair. But im just not sure they'll be good with EDM.
Im not a basshead. but i like full bass. not thin.
Do you listen to any EDM ?

BA5 wont please EDM genre user. You will need more sub bass, they have nice texture and speed but they are sitting down there shyly, covered by mid bass hump

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #22,397 of 31,831
Seems similar to the mythical TR3-B Manta. Mind you, if this exists, Elon Musk is wasting his time with rockets!
I heard that Elon Musk said he was an alien on some youtube video. If you're aware of hologram technology aliens could probably use that to look human.

I actually saw a video on YouTube a while ago of that same scenario.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #22,398 of 31,831
You are so right. As an 'oldie' I started on vinyl and the Blon 03 do give that throwback feel. That's why I prefer good DDs to BAs as they are more natural and even rhythmic to my taste.
I heard Shozy v33's are supposed to sound like vinyl?

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #22,399 of 31,831
The **** pros have the same fit but with nice rounded edges. I wear them cord down and they fit very nicely, not top heavy that I perceive.
I couldn't even get my ****'s to fit in my ears. The connector and the cord has no weight while the iem itself is quite heavy and well distributed like other iems.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #22,400 of 31,831
EDM isn't one of my preferred genres. I listen mostly to classical, ambient and electronic music with a helping of rock, oldies, bossa Nova and reggae. I find that the BA5 is a great all-rounder, but when I feel like a bit of bass there's always my **** Pro and ZS7!

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #22,402 of 31,831
I heard Shozy v33's are supposed to sound like vinyl?

Looked at the Shozy V33/V33 Pro reviews and they looks interesting and the V33 is good value. At the moment I'm very taken with the Semkarch CNT1s. They work well with Folk, Indian, African, Rock and do support that analogue sound I like. I have a few buds already the best being the Rose Masya Mk 2 but they are more like wearing a pair of little speakers on the side of the head. You need big ears. We all have something in common on this site/thread in that we are moved by the music enough to articulate our love of it and it's nuances. It's a language of emotion and feeling that ameliorates the struggles of existing on a small planet. I wonder what music sounds like on the moon?

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #22,403 of 31,831
I'm dubious about the benefits of ANC. I'm prone to think that passive is better. Say, if you have some background noise that is 95 dB and you have some other sound that is 95 dB to cancel it out, I think the hair cells in the coclilea will still be damaged over time, even if the brain doesn't perceive the sound. I'm looking for a pair of used Emytonic er3se for commuting and some HiFi earplugs for concerts.

sound vibrates the inner ears to transmit them to the brain. if you don't hear sound, then there's no vibration. those ANC tech is really simple to replicate on multitrack recording system. just duplicate the track and flip the polarity. you would get dead silence.

i have etymotics at home and have used them for travelling in planes. as good as it goes to block higher pitch noises (even better than ANC), but it won't do better to reduce low pitch noises than ANC.

so it depends on the situation really. for noisy and ever changing background noise like on the stage, or in a public restaurants for instance, passive noise isolation would do better. for use in proximity to engine sounds (planes, trains, vacuum cleaners, or any droning sounds) , ANC would be better.

want the best of both world? use those etymotic or other IEMs for passive cancelling, and then use an ANC enabled headphone over it :grin:

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #22,404 of 31,831
Looked at the Shozy V33/V33 Pro reviews and they looks interesting and the V33 is good value. At the moment I'm very taken with the Semkarch CNT1s. They work well with Folk, Indian, African, Rock and do support that analogue sound I like. I have a few buds already the best being the Rose Masya Mk 2 but they are more like wearing a pair of little speakers on the side of the head. You need big ears. We all have something in common on this site/thread in that we are moved by the music enough to articulate our love of it and it's nuances. It's a language of emotion and feeling that ameliorates the struggles of existing on a small planet. I wonder what music sounds like on the moon?
Life without music would be unbearable, but I'm not certain sounds would be heard on the moon, there isn't any atmosphere to transmit the vibrations.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #22,405 of 31,831
I couldn't even get my ****'s to fit in my ears. They connector and the cord has no weight while the iem itself is quite heavy and well distributed like other iems.
Try different tips, I found Spiral Dots (size L) very successful and I get a very good fit and seal.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #22,406 of 31,831
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #22,408 of 31,831
Responding because I love the BA5s and EDM.

I would recommend them for those times when you don’t want to listen to EDM :wink:

BA5 wont please EDM genre user. You will need more sub bass, they have nice texture and speed but they are sitting down there shyly, covered by mid bass hump
I concur, texture is airy, not dense - you won’t feel the sub bass in the conventional sense. BA5s are definitely mid/upper bass centric, all the emphasis is on the melodic end of the bass lines. Which is awesome.

EDM isn't one of my preferred genres. I listen mostly to classical, ambient and electronic music with a helping of rock, oldies, bossa Nova and reggae. I find that the BA5 is a great all-rounder, but when I feel like a bit of bass there's always my **** Pro and ZS7!
BA5s have the most extended mid range of all my ‘phones, perfectly tweaked to avoid shoutyness and stabbing (I’m hyper sensitive to upper mids as well).
They are fantastic for all the genres you’ve mentioned, and your post has reminded me again that it’s been way too long since I listened to any reggae...or dub (weirdly, I woke up this morning actually thinking about one of my favourite records from my youth that I haven’t heard in forever - War of Words by Singers & Players http://www.deezer.com/album/10547787 ). Sorry, my mind is wandering!

Have a blessed weekend all, with a great soundtrack :)

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #22,409 of 31,831
Try different tips, I found Spiral Dots (size L) very successful and I get a very good fit and seal.
I think I tried those. I will try again.

As of right now, I don't know why the **** is the only iem that doesn't fit. But I think it's the bad design.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #22,410 of 31,831
Responding because I love the BA5s and EDM.

I would recommend them for those times when you don’t want to listen to EDM :wink:

I concur, texture is airy, not dense - you won’t feel the sub bass in the conventional sense. BA5s are definitely mid/upper bass centric, all the emphasis is on the melodic end of the bass lines. Which is awesome.

BA5s have the most extended mid range of all my ‘phones, perfectly tweaked to avoid shoutyness and stabbing (I’m hyper sensitive to upper mids as well).
They are fantastic for all the genres you’ve mentioned, and your post has reminded me again that it’s been way too long since I listened to any reggae...or dub (weirdly, I woke up this morning actually thinking about one of my favourite records from my youth that I haven’t heard in forever - War of Words by Singers & Players http://www.deezer.com/album/10547787 ). Sorry, my mind is wandering!

Have a blessed weekend all, with a great soundtrack :)
Try "Man Free" by Linton Kwesi Johnson from the "Dread Beat and Blood" album. Sly Dunbar's drumming is awesome on the BA5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back