CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #22,156 of 31,809
Hello everyone,
some months ago I was recommended to get the Monopad X3 to use while sleeping. They performed OK meaning that the sound quality was not exceptional but acceptable and OK for wearing them for sleeping on the side but way too big and bulky. Now the right side stopped reproducing bass.
So I was looking for an alternative. Basically something cheap (<$20), balanced/warm SS and great for sleeping.

If u can top up a few dollars more, the BLON BL-03 is an option -> good reviews for timbre/tonality though it is not the best in the technical aspects.
It has quite a small shell so it would be unobtrusive to sleep with them, it is my go to set for sleeping as such.
The stock tips +/- cables are quite crap, so you might need to get some aftermarket tips/spacer mods -> see the BLON thread for further details or you can ask around.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #22,157 of 31,809
Hello everyone,
some months ago I was recommended to get the Monopad X3 to use while sleeping. They performed OK meaning that the sound quality was not exceptional but acceptable and OK for wearing them for sleeping on the side but way too big and bulky. Now the right side stopped reproducing bass.
So I was looking for an alternative. Basically something cheap (<$20), balanced/warm SS and great for sleeping.

The earphone that fits my ears well for use while sleeping, and that costs ~$20 - $25, is the Tennmak Pro.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #22,158 of 31,809
Any small bean shaped earphone does me, the Brainwavz B100 is my favourite but you cannot get them anymore and one side of my cable is getting a little worn

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #22,159 of 31,809
Hello everyone,

if you don't need it to block noise, you might consider PK/docomo shelled earbuds like the DIY SR2. for IEMs, might want to try Sony MH755, 750, or MH1

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #22,160 of 31,809
Damn it!!!
I have a confession to make.
I found 3 IEMs I was curious about. Super cheap. So I ordered all 3. Damn it!!
I couldn’t resist.
KZ ZST pro. 15$
KZ ZSN pro. 14$
KZ ZSR. Non pro 20$ “I couldn’t find a pro version”
Sooooo cheap. I had to do it.
This is like Chrystal Meth !!!
Tbh, if you have the trn v90, tfz no. 3, bqeyz kb100, you'll not be needing those (zsn pro, zsr, zst) because they are clearly below them from my experience. They are good but harsher than trn 90 etc

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #22,161 of 31,809
if you don't need it to block noise, you might consider PK/docomo shelled earbuds like the DIY SR2. for IEMs, might want to try Sony MH755, 750, or MH1
I don't care about noise, I have the MH1 and it's not that comfortable. MH755 the cable is too short.
I want to try something Chinese and it doesn't have to over the ear. Some very small and round maybe that doesn't hurt while sleeping on the side maybe.
Not sure if the KZs with flat nozzles are bulky.

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #22,162 of 31,809
TRN BA5 is a very good side sleeping IEM IMO. It fits my ear really well and pressure put on the side doesn't seem to push the eartip to far to cut off sound. Also no side to side movement so very stable. Also a really good clean clear crisp sound at low volumes.

I also use NiceHCK ME80 a lot as well. all metal construction so no worry of me breaking it. Something that would worry me about plastic buds.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #22,163 of 31,809
Hello everyone,
Not sure if Amazon US's site is an option for you, but if so, I highly recommend the Echobox Finder, currently available for $10 on Amazon.com. They've been my sleeping IEMs since I got them, they're extremely comfortable and the shells fit deep enough into my ear that I can lay on my side and they don't put any pressure on my ears at all. I've also been using them a lot this winter, because they are really comfortable for wearing under winter hats pulled down over my ears.

Only warning I'll give is that the filters you can use to alter the tuning are extremely fragile. They're not at risk of falling apart as long as they're attached to the IEMs themselves, but they are extremely prone to falling apart if you're handling them on their own. They come with the "bass" filters installed, so if anybody buys these and you listen to them out of the box and think the bass levels sound good, I'd suggest never removing the bass filters. One of my bass filters fell apart when I just wanted to quickly audition the other filters. I also reached out to the company via email for a replacement because there's allegedly a 3 year warranty, but I never heard back from them.

Overall sound is pretty balanced on the whole. With the "reference" filters they kind of remind me of the Tin T2 but without the sub bass roll-off, and more depth in the sound stage.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #22,164 of 31,809
Tbh, if you have the trn v90, tfz no. 3, bqeyz kb100, you'll not be needing those (zsn pro, zsr, zst) because they are clearly below them from my experience. They are good but harsher than trn 90 etc

yeah well I’m sure you’re correct. But they were so cheap and I am curious to know what they sound like.
Also it’s not bad to have IEMs that you can use while cycling. So I won’t worry as much about perspiration destroying them.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #22,165 of 31,809
Hello everyone,

well im new to the IEM stuff. But . . . . . .
The KZ ZST ZSN ZSR And the KZ ZST PRO ZSN PRO as well are all 20$ or less.
Just do a google search for them. Good luck :)

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #22,167 of 31,809
I don't care about noise, I have the MH1 and it's not that comfortable. MH755 the cable is too short.
I want to try something Chinese and it doesn't have to over the ear. Some very small and round maybe that doesn't hurt while sleeping on the side maybe.
Not sure if the KZs with flat nozzles are bulky.

One thing I require of earphone if it is going to be used for sleeping is that I am able to determine which side is left and which side is right in the dark.
I find the KZ ZSN quite handy for that purpose.

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #22,169 of 31,809
Damn it!!!
I have a confession to make.
I found 3 IEMs I was curious about. Super cheap. So I ordered all 3. Damn it!!
I couldn’t resist.
KZ ZST pro. 15$
KZ ZSN pro. 14$
KZ ZSR. Non pro 20$ “I couldn’t find a pro version”
Sooooo cheap. I had to do it.
This is like Chrystal Meth !!!

Holy cow, man, slow down!!! LOL. Seriously, you'll never be able to give these all a proper try - it'll take months to know the strengths and weaknesses of each pair.

I gotta say though: I am really interested in trying the TRN V90 you have. I chose the CCA C12 over them and am wondering if I made a mistake, but... I haven't even had time to give the C12 a full evaluation yet since I have been so busy getting my BLON BL-03 sorted out. You see, I am having thoughts of buying another IEM to fill the similar niche as one I have and haven't even listened to yet! Yeah, it can be like a drug, and even I have trouble following the advice I gave you in the BLON thread.

But seriously, you can learn so so much from the pairs you have purchased recently and then make a more informed choice about your next purchase, rather than potentially "wasting" money on IEMs that are sidegrades or even downgrades from what you have now.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #22,170 of 31,809
yeah well I’m sure you’re correct. But they were so cheap and I am curious to know what they sound like.
Also it’s not bad to have IEMs that you can use while cycling. So I won’t worry as much about perspiration destroying them.
You shouldn't worry about perspiration destroying an iem. You should worry about your brain thinking a crappy KZ iem sounding good.

I'd rather have a great sounding iem die from perspiration than think that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back