Best Budget DIY Tube Amp?
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
I've started the process of changing jobs i.e. I've left one but haven't gotten any other yet
beerchug.gif

However, I still want to start the process of building my home rig. I will be using my Macbook with my music ripped with Apple Lossless. I can use my Pico/Dac as part of the rig if necessary. I have no experience in building anything electronic. I don't even own a soldering iron, but I'm looking forward to the experience. I'll be using AKG-701's and UE-11's for my listening pleasure.

All this being said, I would appreciate DIY recommendations for kits in the $350 or less range. I think I would like a tube amp but am open to a SS if you can explain why,. Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 4
If you are willing to wait a little while, the SOHA 2 amp is getting ready for a group buy. It looks to be the best bang for the buck out there. I haven't seen any pricing details yet, so that remains to be seen.. You might email Jeff at Glass Jar Audio, he is going to be selling the kits.

Glass Jar Audio : Home

If you don't want to wait, the current SOHA with the JISBOS buffers is an awesome amp as well. I'm in the process of building 2 of them,(when I can find time between life, class and work.. not much time left, oh and house repairs, and the honeydo list..) with JISBOS and the e12 muting boards (The ε12 Muting / Protect Circuit)

The SOHA and SOHA 2 are both low voltage tube amps, safer to work with than "real" tube amps.. If you are willing to jump to the High voltages of full fledged Tubes, the Bijou is the way to go.. (check the link on Glass Jar to Cavalli Audio Products for the Bijou kit). Do a search on SOHA, SOHA2 or Bijou on Headfi or Headwize for reviews/opinions..

If you want to cut your teeth on a cheap and good starter project, check out the Millett Starving Student.
JD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back