Best Budget DAC?
May 24, 2012 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaguor

New Head-Fier
I've been finding the audio played from my laptop to be pretty dull for a while now (I find my iPod Touch 2G to sound better even) so I'm looking to purchase an external DAC within the range of $100-150 and wanted to get opinions on this since I'm not at all knowledgeable in DACs although I have read reviews and posts here and there.

For possibly useful information, I will be using this DAC in place of a soundcard for my computer when I build it later on and so I wouldn't mind going up to maybe $250 if the upgrade is really worth it. I am using HD25s for now but will undoubtedly upgrade at least a few times down the track so I would guess it would be pretty useful for it to be a DAC/Amp combination, but it is not mandatory to me and I care much more for sound quality than anything else. The quality of my music shouldn't be a problem (mostly mp3 320kbps or FLACs and I'm fine with upping this area if required) and the last thing I can think of that may be useful is that portability is not a factor in this because I'd be using this DAC exclusively at home. Thank you in advance for any help!

May 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I've been finding the audio played from my laptop to be pretty dull for a while now (I find my iPod Touch 2G to sound better even) so I'm looking to purchase an external DAC within the range of $100-150 and wanted to get opinions on this since I'm not at all knowledgeable in DACs although I have read reviews and posts here and there.

For possibly useful information, I will be using this DAC in place of a soundcard for my computer when I build it later on and so I wouldn't mind going up to maybe $250 if the upgrade is really worth it. I am using HD25s for now but will undoubtedly upgrade at least a few times down the track so I would guess it would be pretty useful for it to be a DAC/Amp combination, but it is not mandatory to me and I care much more for sound quality than anything else. The quality of my music shouldn't be a problem (mostly mp3 320kbps or FLACs and I'm fine with upping this area if required) and the last thing I can think of that may be useful is that portability is not a factor in this because I'd be using this DAC exclusively at home. Thank you in advance for any help!

Fiio E10 USB/DAC/headphone amplifier. $80

May 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Emotiva XDA-1 $200

CD quality is acceptable for USB input, anything HiRes will require the Coax input. This is a good DAC and has many options you only see in the $500+ range. The Fiio combo is good for what it is as well, but you'll certainly have upgraditis very soon as the Emotiva will outclass in terms of SQ.

May 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the replies, and I know about Fiio products but like I said I'd prefer getting a pretty good DAC straight off so I don't feel too much like upgrading later on.

I actually really love the look of the Emotiva XDA-1 and will note it down in a list of DACs to pick from, but since I care more for sound quality, how does it compare to the other commonly mentioned/recommended DACs like the NFB-12, Audioengine D1 or HRT MS II for instance?

May 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Unfortunately the Emotiva XDA-1 isn't something I can get because the shipping ($115 to Australia) pushes it out of how much I'm willing to spend so I'll have to go with something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back