Best Budget (Chinese ?) IEMs for Heavy Metal
May 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zombie_breeder

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

So a while back I was looking for some IEMs for heavy metal (particularly doom metal --Black sabbath and so forth as well as most other forms of metal). I also listen to some hip-hop, classic rock, punk, hardcore etc. Someone recommended the KZ ES3 at that point so I picked them up and then added some New Bee tips. They sound great in their own way...but not what I am looking for. They are lacking on the bass end of things for me (take a Sabbath song and I hear none of the deep rich low end I am after) and Ozzy's vocals almost disappear. I am on a super budget so basically the cheaper the better. I know there must be a good Chinese made pair or something out there which is right for me but I have spent days reading reviews and I am just overwhelmed. I am looking for something under $15. I know that is very low price-wise but I guess you can tell Virginia to pay their teachers better. LOL.

May 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 13
Under $15 is cheap for even Chi-Fi. The KZ-ATE is in your price range they have decent amount of bass but are not as bright as the ZS3 but nice and durable for $14 or so. There are as many Chinese iems as there are Chinese people it seems like sometimes. There might be one out there that fits your bill but I don’t know it sorry. My recommendation would double or triple your budget with the ZS6 or the new ZS10 both of those would bring the bass your looking for with the ZS10 being pretty good all around for its $43 price tag.

May 22, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 13
It is as @buke9 says--maybe save a bit and get a ZS10. Plenty of bass. Listening to some live Judas Priest right now and sounding pretty darn good. Having a bit of a small challenge with a fit issue, but that will sort out. A good value, IMO.

May 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Under $15 is cheap for even Chi-Fi. The KZ-ATE is in your price range they have decent amount of bass but are not as bright as the ZS3 but nice and durable for $14 or so. There are as many Chinese iems as there are Chinese people it seems like sometimes. There might be one out there that fits your bill but I don’t know it sorry. My recommendation would double or triple your budget with the ZS6 or the new ZS10 both of those would bring the bass your looking for with the ZS10 being pretty good all around for its $43 price tag.

Thanks for the response. Yeah...I know $15 is really low. My thoughts were as you said there might be something out there but I know what you mean-the amount of possibilities is insane. I will definitely strongly consider the ones you suggested. I have thought about picking up the KZ-ATE's just because of all the love they recieve but the fit concerns me a little as my ES3s do not sit quite right on my ear. Do you know if the ATE's have a better fit?

It is as @buke9 says--maybe save a bit and get a ZS10. Plenty of bass. Listening to some live Judas Priest right now and sounding pretty darn good. Having a bit of a small challenge with a fit issue, but that will sort out. A good value, IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit worried about fit on the KZ sets. My ES3's just do not seem to fit quite right either in addition to being lacking in the bass department. The outer part just doesn't work with the size and curvature of my ear. Thanks for the recommendation though and the fact that they can handle Priest nicely. :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 13
1BF11E98-8507-41AF-8C8C-C714FDCF193D.jpeg

The ATE has the smallest body on them with the ZS10 the largest the ZS6 has a shorter nozzle so would be closer to the ear but they are fine for me also.

May 22, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 13

The ATE has the smallest body on them with the ZS10 the largest the ZS6 has a shorter nozzle so would be closer to the ear but they are fine for me also.

Thanks so much for the info and comparison pic, I really appreciate it.

I think I will take your advice and wait a while longer and spend a bit more. I just discovered that I still had an old pair of Monoprice 8320's which worked (I thought they had stopped working) and I put some foam tips on those and I think they should hold me over until I can snag something better. Thanks again.

May 22, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Wish choice .

May 22, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Wise choice sorry.

May 24, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 13
This suggestion might sound a bit biased because I own them but check out the KZ ZST (They're a bit over $15, about $20 in USA). I personally don't like the KZ ZS3 as the sound signature doesn't scream quality to me but I only tried it for a few minutes. KZ ZST has good v-shaped to neutral sound in my opinion but it does need some burn-in time. The highs were a bit much out of the box but after a while the warmth started to show and I think they sound great. I'd replace the eartips though as I did not find them comfortable but after replacing the eartips, I found them to be amazing for $20 ($16 for the iems, $5 for the eartips) Hope this helps and good luck :)

May 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 13
This suggestion might sound a bit biased because I own them but check out the KZ ZST (They're a bit over $15, about $20 in USA). I personally don't like the KZ ZS3 as the sound signature doesn't scream quality to me but I only tried it for a few minutes. KZ ZST has good v-shaped to neutral sound in my opinion but it does need some burn-in time. The highs were a bit much out of the box but after a while the warmth started to show and I think they sound great. I'd replace the eartips though as I did not find them comfortable but after replacing the eartips, I found them to be amazing for $20 ($16 for the iems, $5 for the eartips) Hope this helps and good luck :)

Thanks for the info. I have definitely considered the zst and since I already have comfortable foam tips it makes it even more appealing. There seem to be a slight bit of variety within the ZSTs in terms of model. Are these the ones you had in mind as I was looking for something with more bass? :

https://m.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-...Vdj_qNWKyNkZHLXn2m_2rSz1dffcjtukaAiInEALw_wcB

May 26, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the info. I have definitely considered the zst and since I already have comfortable foam tips it makes it even more appealing. There seem to be a slight bit of variety within the ZSTs in terms of model. Are these the ones you had in mind as I was looking for something with more bass? :

https://m.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-...Vdj_qNWKyNkZHLXn2m_2rSz1dffcjtukaAiInEALw_wcB
From what I know, all KZ ZST variants have the same specs and drivers, just different aesthetics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back