Best budget amp under 150 USD
Jan 1, 2016 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own the Bravo Audio Ocean Hybrid amp and i find its design to be sub-par. It gets extremely hot after just 20 minutes of use. It also leaks current, probably because of its ungrounded power supply.

The leaked current travels to my Both my FiiO X1 and my CKR-9s. This causes a "vibrating" sensation when i touch my X1 and there will be a feeling similar to painful static discharge when the aluminium part of my CKR-9s touches my ear. Any metallic parts on headphones and earphones will also discharge static.

Worst of all , there is a humming sound whenever i plug in my ear/headphones that can only be silenced by touching the metal body of the already extremely hot amp.

The sound is nice and all but the design is just horrible.

Are there any good Budget amps for under $150? 

OR 

Is there a cheaper option (Buying a grounded power supply to end the current leak and the humming sound but then there's still the heat problem)

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 59
  The Schiit Magni 2 Uber is $149. I've used it with all sorts of headphones and can vouch for its quality.

It looks good .
How does the O2 compare? I ve read through some reviews and they all look awesome.

And analytical sound...... yum........ 

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 59

I have never used the O2, but for what it's worth you can compare the specs:

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Whats the diff between the normal magni 2 and its uber version?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 59
  Whats the diff between the normal magni 2 and its uber version?

Click the FAQ tab on the link I gave ya.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 59

Click the FAQ tab on the link I gave ya.
wink.gif

Read it but cant make heads and tails from it. Preamp outputs are to be connected to speakers right? Then wouldnt it be pointless to have those if im just using Iems and headphones?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 59
Read it but cant make heads and tails from it. Preamp outputs are to be connected to speakers right? Then wouldnt it be pointless to have those if im just using Iems and headphones?

It is also a little more powerful and has a nicer brushed aluminum casing.

The magni 2 will have a bit more power compared to the O2, but both are nice.

Do you have a dac already?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 59

You can connect the preamp outputs to active speakers, yes; but passive speakers require a power (speaker) amp. You don't need them if you are only using headphones. However, the Uber version has advantages not covered in the FAQ, which you can compare in the specs tab. To be fair, it's likely that you wouldn't notice a difference in sound between them with most headphones. That brushed aluminum looks (and feels) sexy, though.
tongue.gif
(The painted steel is just bleck!)

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 59
Do you have a dac already?

Yeah a FiiO E10 , why?

If im not using the E10 then i connect my X1 in line out mode to the amp.

And another question : Better amp>Better DAC chip ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 59

You can connect the preamp outputs to active speakers, yes; but passive speakers require a power (speaker) amp. You don't need them if you are only using headphones. However, the Uber version has advantages not covered in the FAQ, which you can compare in the specs tab. To be fair, it's likely that you wouldn't notice a difference in sound between them with most headphones. That brushed aluminum looks (and feels) sexy, though!
tongue.gif

Define what is not in your "most headphones" list

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 59
So if i understand everyone's reviews correctly, i should only get the O2 if i need the battery power. If not i should get the Schiit Magni 2.

Personally i think the deciding factor isnt going to be any edge of one product over the other (excuse my sloppy English) but the factor of availability in my country.( VERY limited choices here in Malaysia)

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 59
So if i understand everyone's reviews correctly, i should only get the O2 if i need the battery power. If not i should get the Schiit Magni 2.

Personally i think the deciding factor isnt going to be any edge of one product over the other (excuse my sloppy English) but the factor of availability in my country.( VERY limited choices here in Malaysia)

If one is significantly more expensive than the other, get the cheaper one. They are both of similar quality that spending a lot more on one over the other isn't necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back