Best budget amp for the hd650
Aug 5, 2012 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jwusoccer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, i've been thinking about getting the 650s, but i'm not sure what amp i should use. I have the e17 right now, and from what i've read, it has nowhere enough power to drive them. What would be the best budget amp with the best price/performance. I'm currently looking at the schiit asgard and the asus xonar stx. The stx would be much cheaper because it has a dac and an amp, but the asgard has much more power. Also, suggestions for other amps 250 dollars and under are welcome. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 19
I would gladly take the Fiio E9 over the Asgard for the HD-650. With the HD-600..no way.

IMO the Asgard felt like a weakling, especially with the K601. I know it's probably not, but I was fooled.

Why not try the O2? I haven't heard it and don't like suggesting products I haven't heard, but it's dirt cheap.

Not sure how it compares to the E9.

Don't let people tell you the E9 is horrible with the HD-650. It's quite good for it (for the money!).

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Hey everyone, i've been thinking about getting the 650s, but i'm not sure what amp i should use. I have the e17 right now, and from what i've read, it has nowhere enough power to drive them. What would be the best budget amp with the best price/performance. I'm currently looking at the schiit asgard and the asus xonar stx. The stx would be much cheaper because it has a dac and an amp, but the asgard has much more power. Also, suggestions for other amps 250 dollars and under are welcome. 

Asus Xonar STX isn't good match because they gonna lack deep sub-bass most noticeable on classical and jazz but akso affects other music styles. But HD650 and Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1(DAC/AMP in one) are made in haven for each other but you still should get cheap Xonar so you can use SPDIF input instead of USB

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Asus Xonar STX isn't good match because they gonna lack deep sub-bass most noticeable on classical and jazz but akso affects other music styles. But HD650 and Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1(DAC/AMP in one) are made in haven for each other but you still should get cheap Xonar so you can use SPDIF input instead of USB

Why would it lack sub-bass with that card? Doesn't make much sense. It's not like the thing is some cheap generic soundcard. The HD-650 isn't that difficult to drive.

Check out this review i've seen yesterday. Seems to measure extremely well:

http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Amp_DAC&search_target=title&search_keyword=asus&document_srl=1797437

It's output impedance is also 10.31 ohm, so it should be fine with the HD-650.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 19
So out of the o2, e9 and the stx, what would be the best choice? Im leaning towards the e9 or stx right now because i could pair the e9 with my e17 and the xonar has and amp and a dac while the o2 is purely and amp.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Why would it lack sub-bass with that card? Doesn't make much sense. It's not like the thing is some cheap generic soundcard. The HD-650 isn't that difficult to drive.

Check out this review i've seen yesterday. Seems to measure extremely well:

http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Amp_DAC&search_target=title&search_keyword=asus&document_srl=1797437

It's output impedance is also 10.31 ohm, so it should be fine with the HD-650.

I trust my ears not graphs and numbers. I also heard HD650 with O2 and Burson 160D and heard same problem

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
I would gladly take the Fiio E9 over the Asgard for the HD-650. With the HD-600..no way.

IMO the Asgard felt like a weakling, especially with the K601. I know it's probably not, but I was fooled.

Why not try the O2? I haven't heard it and don't like suggesting products I haven't heard, but it's dirt cheap.

Don't let people tell you the E9 is horrible with the HD-650. It's quite good for it (for the money!).

Was the asgard really that bad for the hd650? I'm considering it now since it looks better than the o2, and it seems to have more than enough power to drive the 650s.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 19
So out of the o2, e9 and the stx, what would be the best choice? I

The O2 measures better than the other two, and will do a better job with Low Z cans than the other two amps will. The E9 and STX will do fine with Higher Z 'phones like the 650s.

Honestly, imo there should be little audible difference between these three amps with the HD-650s, or other headphones that are above about 80 Ohms.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Which version is best for the hd650?? Theres the d1 but they also have an a1 on their website.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

tdockweiler,
I have both the HD650 and HD600 units, why the E9 for the 650, but not the 600 (just curious, not disagreeing)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back