Best budget amp for grado's?
Jun 12, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 20
I am putting a vote in for the AD8620-based MINT. It's a bit more expensive than the Home Vibe, but it is a great amplifier, I am using it with my DT231's which are very Grado-esque and also with my PX100's. In two months I'm getting HD595's and will be using those with the MINT as well. Good luck with what ever amp you decide on!! And may you not get a bad case of upgrade-itis (I've taken my shots for it, and I hope MY case will stop with the HD595's
icon10.gif
).

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 20
How about Eric's Nitrogens?, another Kevin Gilmore design featuring prosink termination! And uh, The new gilmore lites are preamps.... so no you dont need one, it would be redundant....less is more...
-Mag

Jun 13, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
anyone know the difference between the newer gilmore lite and the old one? seeing that the old ones are going for ~200, and the other one can be preordered for $250. Seems like getting a brand new one with upgraded circuitry and features would be worth the extra $50. The grado's seem fine unamped, but I don't know how the sound quality would be different. I know this is vague and subjective, but could someone describe how it would change? Would it be a bigger jump than going from sr60's to sr225's? $200-$250 is a good sum of money, and the sr225's + amp = over $400 invested. Now that I think about it, I would want something that I won't really have to upgrade unless I have some serious excess cash laying around. Seems like everyone here buys a pimeta then upgrades. How are gilmore's compared to pimetas?
What are cha47's?

The new one has passive outputs, a redesigned pcb, and a better volume pot, but it's still the same circuit.

I'd get a RA-1 clone or the Gilmore Lite. Don't be fooled by the very high price of a Grado-made RA-1, I assembled one for under $30 in parts, including a Pactec case.

Gilmore Lite vs. Pimeta
The Gilmore will be far more neutral, the Pimeta will definetly color the sound which you may or may not like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back