Best budget 5.1 Speaker Kit? (Monoprice? Dayton Audio? Something Else?)
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mattlach

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

After thinking/talking about getting a surround receiver for my TV for the better part of two decades, I'm finally getting around to it.

The budget is a little tight, so I can't go crazy.

My research thus far has come up with two contenders:

1.) Monoprice 10565 Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Subwoofer

- OR - 

2.) Dayton Audio 5.1 Home Theater Bundle 8" Powered Subwoofer

Dayton audio has quite the reputation for making great bang for the buck cheap speakers, but the Monoprice speakers are both cheaper and get great reviews too.

Anyone have experience with both?   Which would you choose?   Anything else in the ~$150 range I should consider as an option?

Much obliged,
Matt

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Or,

My house actually came with two KLH 980 satellite speakers attached to the wall and wired to behind the TV...

They haven't been used in some time, but I have it on good authority that they aren't blown or anything, and should still work...

I had originally been concerned with making sure that all the speakers are matched so they are "balanced", but now I'm reading that doesn't really matter, and the rear satellites are less important (quality wise) than the fronts?

Maybe I could just assemble it piecemeal?

Maybe a set of Dayton Audio B652-AIR's for the front left and right channels, and a separate sub?   What would I get as a center channel?  Maybe like a $50 Micca center channel speaker?

Now I'm spending more money, but if this results in a much better experience, maybe it is worth it, since I already have some basic rear satellites attached on the wall and ready to go?

I'd appreciate any (relatively cheap) suggestions!

Thanks,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back