Best Bass/Semi-Open headphones for under 200 CAD?
May 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MuffinsOfGump

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, first post for me! :D I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M40X and I like them a lot. But I wish they had more bass and I could hear when people walk in the room/myself when I'm on Skype so I don't yell :p So what do you guys suggest for under 200 Canadian dollars? Thanks everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I want these for gaming (CS:GO and other misc.) and for listening to metal, electronica, and rap. Dunno if this will change anything :p

May 13, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 11
There is a 32 ohm version that wouldn't require an amp, but it might be outside of your budget. The 250 ohm pro version tends to be the cheapest, but IMO it requires an amp to get the most out of it. It will for sure still work without an amp, but it just won't sound as good. I bought a used Schiit Magni in good condition for ~ 60 USD, which puts you at 180 USD when combined with the headphones. Although I have no idea how Canadian dollars work haha

May 13, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 11
There is a 32 ohm version that wouldn't require an amp, but it might be outside of your budget. The 250 ohm pro version tends to be the cheapest, but IMO it requires an amp to get the most out of it. It will for sure still work without an amp, but it just won't sound as good. I bought a used Schiit Magni in good condition for ~ 60 USD, which puts you at 180 USD when combined with the headphones. Although I have no idea how Canadian dollars work haha

They're like American dollars but worth less lol :p

Is buying used ok? It seems to me like they'd be prone to dying, but that's just an assumption.

May 13, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Haha I had just assumed justin bieber trading cards were used as currency in Canada :wink:
But yeah there is always some level of risk involved in buying used, just try to be sure the seller has good feedback and the headphones haven't been used too heavily. I actually bought my DT 990 used and have had no issues whatsoever

May 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 11
Haha I had just assumed justin bieber trading cards were used as currency in Canada
wink.gif

But yeah there is always some level of risk involved in buying used, just try to be sure the seller has good feedback and the headphones haven't been used too heavily. I actually bought my DT 990 used and have had no issues whatsoever

Alright sweet :) what do you think of the Sennheiser HD 558-598? Are they bassy? I've heard a lot of praise over them from some friends and a lot online 

May 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 11
  Alright sweet :) what do you think of the Sennheiser HD 558-598? Are they bassy? I've heard a lot of praise over them from some friends and a lot online 

They're fantastic phones for the price, but not what i'd call base heavy. They'd satisfy the gaming need, but aren't gonna shake your skull.

May 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 11
If it's bass that you want, then the HD518 would actually be a better choice than the HD558 or 598. While not what I'd call Basshead Approved™, and certainly not boomy, the lower frequencies are punchy and dynamic when called for and has good texture to boot. Sure, my HD598 is more detailed and resolving with a better soundstage, but the HD518 still has pretty good separation and openness in its presentation.

The only real thing keeping me from recommending the HD518 wholeheartedly is that fact that they're twice the price in Canada than they are here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back