Best 'Bang for the Buck' CD Player
Oct 29, 2002 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

D-Audi

Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I'm at work and don't have oodles of time to do a search. Right now I have my dad's 5+ yr old pioneer 6disk player. I don't know what model # it is (it's the one w/ the 6disk caddy holder thing). It's not working right so I either am going to pay to get it fixed or get a different player. Hopefully the latter as it will make it more exciting to get a new thing. I've never looked into getting a player because i've always had the pioneer.

Is there a general concensus around here as to which player has the most value?? I DON'T want to pay alot - but I have no idea what a decent player will cost. My other components are Grado 325's, Senn 590's, and Soon-to-be Ear+ headamp. Any ideas???

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Music Hall MMF-CD25 is pretty good for the money. Try to get one of those new progressive scan philips players though...

The cheaper sony SACD players are also a good buy.

I'd really have to know your budget to make a good recommendation.

Just don't get a Denon 370, because it makes a better lazy susan than a cd player.

Oct 29, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I still see Pioneer Elite PD65 offered new for around $300-400, which is an unbeatable price. I paid nearly $900 for mine in 1993 and it's still going strong. Nearly 10 years later the PD65 still holds it own soundwise and as a transport it's built like a tank (and highly coveted). I'd suggest you look around the web for one. They are truly superb.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Pepzhez,

i agree, the pd-65 is a hell of a nice player and transport. didn't realize there were still new (old stock) players available though... good to know.

D-Audi,

the nad c541i is my choice for the best valued player, search the archives here for information on it. also be aware that b-stock units can be had heavily discounted (once again, information in the archives).

best,
carlo.

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Here is my list not of the best bang for the buck(Irrelevant when one can buy $1 headphones and $20 CDP's), but of the best reasonably-priced players(<$200) one can buy.

I know that Sony predominates here, but considering how much of the consumer market they have, its unsuprising that at least some of their lineup is a good value. I put the price for a source at $200 max, because I refuse to spend 2-3x+ what I spent on the rest of the system on my source(at least for now).

Oldschool Semi-portable, drives anything: Sony D-25S, $40 @ Silicon Salvage(ebay), + $13 Ratshack Wallwart
Ultraportable: Sony D-FJ401 $89
Ultraportable MP3: iRiver SlimX(Best MP3CD you can buy) around $140-$150.

Good all-around, SACD, DVD: DVP-NS500v $125 , NC650V $200
Dedicated SACD: Sony SCD-CE775 $170

Oct 29, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Dedicated SACD: Sony SCD-CE775 $170 [/B]

I can *definately* reccommend the SCD-CE775. Internally, it's basically a slightly lower grade SCD-C222ES, cheaper casing, slightly different transistors and a different (cheaper) power supply configuration. The unit *still* sounds quite good in comparison to many players out there. And then there's:

www.sacdmods.com

I've yet to put them to task with my SCD-CE775, but from what I hear they do quite good work and are probably worth investigating for a good low-cost solution. I'd also reccommend snatching up a SCD-CE775 while you can, as they've been discontinued. Maybe your local Best Buy may still have a display model they'll let go cheap.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 10
I recently purchased my own SCD-CE775 and I certainly think it's worth a reccomendation. And the best part is that I can just have this upgraded when I want a new source.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back