Best backup singer?
Oct 21, 2002 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Borrowing on a comment redshifter made regarding U2 and the Edge, i decided this would be an interesting thread. My vote goes to Michael Anthony from Van Halen.

What's your favorite backup singer in a band?

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 10
well, the edge often sounds like he has a better voice than bono. of course the edge's voice is almost identical to bono's, and he doesn't have to wear it out every night.

i always liked jerry cantrell's close harmony singing in alice in chains.

of course this is more of a duet, but john lennon's backing vocals for paul's songs were always wonderful, and usually had an interesting lyrical counterpoint to paul's lyrics.

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Isn't it Cissy Houston, Whitney's mom who was on a lot of the great 60's soul classics?

Mark

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 10
i'll second the martin gore from depeche mode. in fact, i think he's a much better vocalist than dave gahan. at times i wish dave would just leave so martin could do all the vocals.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 10
remember, being the lead singer in a band is a lot more than just having a pretty voice. you are the face and attitude of the band, and are literally in the spotlight for every show. it is the hardest job in any band, one that i know i wouldn't want.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 10
On recordings, I think that singers nowadays back themselves up. I remember back in the old days when Lisa Stansfield's first album came out I liked the sound of her voice and bought the CD. Hearing it on decent equipment I thought: "Her voice isn't so special after all...those two backup singers sound just as good."
I had to listen a second time to realize they were all her!
Of course performing live, the crummy backups detract from the overdubbed recorded experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back