Best Audio Quality
Aug 10, 2012 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

iDriveFerraris

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying some Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros and i know if I want top SQ I need top music. But I don't know **** about sound science.

So here are some questions, ( I have a macbook laptop but my music will be played from my phone, Htc Incredible S - Android phone

- What is the highest Kbps for music, i heard it's 320 kbps.

- What is the best audio format, Eg, MP3, MP4, FLAC etc

- If a song is "Bass boosted" or any other type of artificial "boost" will they song lose some detail?

- What gives the best sound quality, i mean like CD's or Cassets etc

- Is the Htc Incredible S a good music phone?

Cheers. Also please tell me any other information you think I should know

Btw i've got a Fiio E11 amp if that helps

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 50
- Highest kbps? 320kbps for mp3 and around 1500-3000++ kbps for lossless formats.
- Best? Lossless or uncompressed formats are the "best" FLAC/ALAC/etc.
- Too much boost, yep. The bass could be dominating the other frequencies.
- Super Audio CD followed by CDs
- No idea.

If you want an SQ boost, you might want to invest in a DAC but whether it's worth the performance:price it depends on you. I am not real sure if an E11 have enough juice for the DT880 but I'm not an amp guy so other folks can point out some goods ones that match it well (Try the DT880 appreciation thread).

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 50
I'll take a shot.

Response: Hard to say from the info but looks like deviation from 20hz-20,000hz. How "flat" the response is.
Noise Level: At what level self noise become apparent- how much hiss the phone makes by itself. Lower is "better."
Dynamic range: Difference between quietest and loudest noise the phone can make. More is "better."
THD: Is a measurement of the difference in harmonics between what gets input into the phone and it's output. Lower is "better."
IMD+ Noise: Someone else may have a better explanation, IMD is similar to THD but is created by measuring non-harmonics. This gets added to the noise measurement. Lower is "better"
Stereo Crosstalk. How much of one (left or right) channel creates noise in the opposite channel. Lower is "better."

Just a note, these are all objective measurements and while they describe the performance of the devices some of them may be bellow the ability of the human ear to reliably detect. (that's a whole other topic, but one I feel is worth mentioning)

* I'm not an EE so corrections and better explanations are welcome. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 50
- Highest kbps? 320kbps for mp3 and around 1500-3000++ kbps for lossless formats.
- Best? Lossless or uncompressed formats are the "best" FLAC/ALAC/etc.

It's worth mentioning that many lossy formats have presets that can be audibly transparent (impossible to tell apart from the uncompressed source) in a given situation. I, for example, haven't been able to pick apart a Vorbis aoTuV encode at -q 6 from the source in an ABX test at home, so that's good enough for me and saves a ton of space. I encourage the OP to run their own tests to find a suiting compromise (only ABX tests are reliable, foobar2000 has a nice ABX plug-in if they're interested).

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 50
Aug 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 50
All of the specs on that chart are good in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back