"Best" audio player for Windows - ??
May 5, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #16 of 41
Why take off the flame suit right after your post
wink.gif

I find that APE usually puts out files at around 45-50% of original wave. YMMV
biggrin.gif

Quote:

FLAC or Ape (Monkey's Audio) is approximately 10 times bigger or 2/3 the size of the original wav file

May 5, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #17 of 41
Most lossless (at least newer ones, i.e. APE, FLAC, AL) are actually about the same in size. I think APE gains a whopping 1 or 2MB over FLAC when cranked all the way up. But the encoding speed is horrific for both. Although FLAC is geared more towards fast decoding speeds, for easier portable support. I can decode an entire album in about 5 seconds on my XP 2000+. Not bad. Encoding takes 45 seconds to 1 minute, I'd estimate.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 5, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Oh, you'll pay for that, you'll pay...
biggrin.gif

Granted, WMP has tons of features. The problem I have with it is that it has too many features, all of which add more to it's sizeable memory footprint. I just opened WMP 8 (didn't bother ugprading...), and it's currently taking up 8MB. FB2K is taking up 2MB. Both of these are idle. When playing something, WMP jumps to about 10MB, and FB2K to 5MB. (this is playing a playlist with a few hundred items) I imagine 9 and 10 are even worse.

Plus, I can't stand WMP's UI. Give me simplicity any day.

[flame suit back on] 5MB, 10MB, Who cares? Im sure we all have at the very least 256-512 in our machines.

I think I tried foobar. Is that the one that looks like a dos window.

I like how WMP downloads the covers and all the album information. Did I mention the mini bar. And the Media Library, OMG, it doesnt get any better, does it?

Give me a compeling reason to switch to something else and Ill buy it tonight.

[/flame suite back on]

wink.gif

May 5, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
I find that APE usually puts out files at around 45-50% of original wave. YMMV
biggrin.gif

Monkey's Audio 3.71 shows Mode comparison:

Fast: 59.4%
Normal: 57.5%
High: 56.5%
Extra High: 55.8%

Well, from my experiences, it varies from 31% to 71% and my average s around 60%. When you compress classical music, it's around 45-50%, like you stated.

May 5, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeasingGuy
[flame suit back on] 5MB, 10MB, Who cares? Im sure we all have at the very least 256-512 in our machines.

I think I tried foobar. Is that the one that looks like a dos window.

I like how WMP downloads the covers and all the album information. Did I mention the mini bar. And the Media Library, OMG, it doesnt get any better, does it?

Give me a compeling reason to switch to something else and Ill buy it tonight.

[/flame suite back on]

wink.gif

Yes, I've got a 512 stick in this one, but that's not the point. I don't want hoggy applications. Especially when loading something like Photoshop... there's 100MB of RAM right there just when it's idle; load up some hi-rez images, and you're looking at 200MB at least.

FB2K=DOS window? Eh? DOS didn't have a GUI. It was also the best OS that M$ ever came out with, but that's beside the point... (really, though, look at it. Full root access, never crashed, never gave you permissions errors; it was wonderful) Here's a screenshot of it running on my desktop. You tell me how it looks like DOS. Or how it's not the most beautiful, functional player you've ever seen
biggrin.gif

foobarDesktop.png

And yes, I admit, I kinda like WMP's ability to show you artists bio and whatnot, but you could make the same sort of thing with Foobar if you felt like it. It has a developers kit. Or who knows, perhaps someone already has...

Oh, and note the VU meter. With WMP, you have to have a fairly large window to get visualizations. And they all suck anyway. Heck, if I want, I can get an OSD plugin that overlays text everytime the track changes, and can tell me the artist name/album name/track name/track length/playlist time remaining, or anything else I want. I can just have FB2K minimized.

May 5, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #21 of 41
Which foobar are you running? I'm using special and it's up to nearly 11MB idle.

May 5, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #22 of 41
this is my screenshot, I like the more traditional foobar look:

foobar-shot.gif

with resampling to 192kHz & Crossfeed enabled uses 3M of memory..

May 5, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 41
I'm running 0.8.1 Special. Except I didn't install all the fancy components. Did the first time, saw the big memory footprint, and started looking at what exactly was installed. Do I listen to NES music? No. SNES? No. Sega? No. Playstation? No. On and on. The only optional components I have installed now are CDDA in the rare chance I decide to play a CD, and AAC, as occasionally I'll fiddle with it. I've also got a couple extras I downloaded; ASIO, OSD, and some others I can't remember.

Remember, Foobar has to load every one of those components. As it is, I've got a startup time of under 100ms. Something I consider a huge bonus.

EDIT: Changed screenshot for closer crop. Also shows off the OSD that I was talking about. Very nice. BTW, Glassman, when I used the Older interface, my memory usage actually went up 1MB...

May 5, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
this is my screenshot, I like the more traditional foobar look:

with resampling to 192kHz & Crossfeed enabled uses 3M of memory..

The background picture of Diana Krall doesn't match Pink Floyd....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #26 of 41
Judging by how the image is behind the menus as well, I'd say that's his desktop image, and he just has transparency turned on. If I ever find a decent minibar for Foobar, I'll use that. That's the one thing I loved QCD for; it had the most awesome skin, called Chameleo, that was long enough (took up about 90% of the width of the screen) to show any information I wanted, but didn't cover up anything vital. Turn transparency and mouse-over activation on, and it was simply beautiful. But ultimately didn't sound as good
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
The background picture of Diana Krall doesn't match Pink Floyd....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I gave up changing wallpapers each time I load another album, ya know
biggrin.gif
also Pink Floyds doesn't really look that good as Diana Krall
wink.gif

(Pinkie's gonna kill me for that statement
tongue.gif
)

May 5, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #28 of 41
This is my screenshot. It's also Foobar2k.
cool.gif

attachment.php

May 5, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #29 of 41
OK, I've gotta ask you what you're using for that. I'm a sucker for black. That's just awesome. And what's this 'rating' bit?

May 5, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
OK, I've gotta ask you what you're using for that. I'm a sucker for black. That's just awesome. And what's this 'rating' bit?

Well, it's called columns_UI and it's a foobar2k hit of the year...I am not the designer of it, I just did a slight code modification to fit my requirements.

The honors go to the people from Hydrogen Audio (musicmusic, plisk, nexus, etc.) If you can wait, I am just summarizing all the links and will start a thread here. Or you can start to go through these threads:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.p...ic=17881&st=0&

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.p...ic=19706&st=0&

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=20719&

Users who are viewing this thread

Back