Best amps to drive single-drivers
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know much of the power amp markets, but there seem to be some some or more amplifiers that are particularly good at driving single driver speakers, or otherwise nasty loads (such as ribbons or K1000
happy_face1.gif
). I know Pass Labs, but what other manufacturers or amps there are?

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm myself interested at K1000 performance but I've understood the amps that are tuned to drive ribbons might do K1000s well as well. But in the big picture I thought we could form a thread for everyone interested at driving singledriverers.

For reference, the impedance graph of the K1000 is found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/k10...-curve-120971/

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much of the power amp markets, but there seem to be some some or more amplifiers that are particularly good at driving single driver speakers, or otherwise nasty loads (such as ribbons or K1000
happy_face1.gif
). I know Pass Labs, but what other manufacturers or amps there are?

There's quite a difference between a singledriver and a ribbon.

Singledrivers tend to be of a normal or higher impedance with great sensitivity. You can often drive them with fleatwatt amps - some with just a couple watts of power.

A ribbon presents a terrible impedance load for most amps and are usually not sensitive at all. Generally, you want a high-power solid state amp for them.

The K-1000 is pretty much a singledriver speaker you wear on your head. You can certainly drive them with a brawny solid state power amp, but I think they're entirely better when run from a fleawatt DHT tube amp. I'm partial to the 2A3 tube, but you can also find a lot of love for the 300B out there.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 10
progo, I am in the same boat as you and I am looking at pairing a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 w/ a K1000. The Signature 30.2 shows up in Audiogon w/ certain regularity in the $1,500 to $1,800. I have seen the 30.2 as low as $995 but it was the version w/o the volume knob, adding it could get expensive. Another option would be to contact Vinnie at Red Wine Audio and he may have an unit that has been turned in under his upgrade program. Good luck.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's quite a difference between a singledriver and a ribbon.

Singledrivers tend to be of a normal or higher impedance with great sensitivity. You can often drive them with fleatwatt amps - some with just a couple watts of power.
--

Thanks for clearing this up
smily_headphones1.gif
And for a good direction where I should head! I've read tubes are cool for most single driver (or should I say full range drivers to be more precise?) speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
progo, I am in the same boat as you and I am looking at pairing a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 w/ a K1000. The Signature 30.2 shows up in Audiogon w/ certain regularity in the $1,500 to $1,800. I have seen the 30.2 as low as $995 but it was the version w/o the volume knob, adding it could get expensive. Another option would be to contact Vinnie at Red Wine Audio and he may have an unit that has been turned in under his upgrade program. Good luck.

I've read the reviews RWA Sig against the FirstWatt F1 and the Sig does sound appealing indeed! However, at the moment I'm looking for much cheaper options.
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I can vouch for the RWA Signature 30.2 and a 4-board β22 as a K1000 amplifier.
Plenty powerful and sounding really nice, to my ears.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, in Audiogon you can buy the precursor to the Signature 30.2 for under $400. It was the Clari T also by Red Wine Audio, it is 6 watts so it may be marginal. There was also a dual mono version of the Clari T w/ two 12 volt SLA batteries and dual boards, I believe it was 8 watts.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clearing this up
smily_headphones1.gif
And for a good direction where I should head! I've read tubes are cool for most single driver (or should I say full range drivers to be more precise?) speakers.

Poking around Audiogon, I came across this Consonance Cyber 30 2A3 amp listed at $450/obo.

A couple of quick searches turned up positive reviews. I don't know much else about it, but that's an awfully good deal.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Whoa dudes! That's an awfully good looking amp! i'm definitely going to ask the seller about shipping to EU -- and read a review or two myself too! I've got so many good deals pointed at by you guys here (the ECD-1 among) I feel guilty I've not been able to do the same to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back