Best amp in Europe under 300 euros?
Jul 4, 2004 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

gorman

1000+ Head-Fier
Just to know, as I still have not made up my mind about which way to go.

But, maybe, I might try to save some on import duties...
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 25
Any other suggestion?

How does this compare with Corda's offerings?

Also, I read on Rega's website:

Recommended minimum load (normal operating conditions) = 32W per channel

How would this interact with my UE-10's 13 ohms impedance?

Where could I buy it online and have it shipped to Italy?

Jul 5, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Any other suggestion?

How does this compare with Corda's offerings?

Also, I read on Rega's website:

Recommended minimum load (normal operating conditions) = 32W per channel

How would this interact with my UE-10's 13 ohms impedance?

Where could I buy it online and have it shipped to Italy?

I 've owned a Corda HA1 MKII and I have listened through a Rega.
The Corda is a better amp and has a better built quality, but it costs 375 Euro (shipping to Italy included).To me the Rega looks and feels a bit cheap, but regarding soundquality it's a decent amp, I'd say 85% of the Corda for a more humble price.
Simply ask Jan Meier via email about the fit to your low impedance cans, you will get an honest answer.

Jul 5, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 25
For just shy of the Corda MkII amp at roughly €360 shipped from New Zealand, there's the Perreaux sxh-1 as well. This was the price I paid including shipping from Totallywired (official Perreaux reseller - included Euro power cord), but you'll have to do a currency conversion at the time of purchase to see how much you'd be actually paying.

Jul 5, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 25
I had the old Corda HA-1 and currently have the Rega Ear and although the Corda was probably the more "audiophile" sounding amp, the Rega Ear beats it hands down for groove and enjoyment. Its a different type of sound, and if you are looking for more "audiophile" qualities in an amp (transparency, detail retrieval, imaging etc), then you may be better off with the Corda.

Jul 5, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I had the old Corda HA-1 and currently have the Rega Ear and although the Corda was probably the more "audiophile" sounding amp, the Rega Ear beats it hands down for groove and enjoyment. Its a different type of sound, and if you are looking for more "audiophile" qualities in an amp (transparency, detail retrieval, imaging etc), then you may be better off with the Corda.

I don't agree.
You are far better off using "audiophile" gear since natural music with natural instruments (classics, some genres of jazz) sound better with flat frequency response.
Whenever coloration in order to enhance euphony is required you can use a equalizer.

Jul 5, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 25
Curious, how would a Porta Corda II hold up against the Rega Ear? Or more specifically, a PCII that operates at increased voltage?

Jul 5, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 25
Jul 5, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I don't agree.
You are far better off using "audiophile" gear since natural music with natural instruments (classics, some genres of jazz) sound better with flat frequency response.
Whenever coloration in order to enhance euphony is required you can use a equalizer.

I dont care if you agree or not, the Corda didnt do it for me. Who said anything about colouration? To my ears, the Rega grooves and has that PRaT thing going on, the Corda sounds to me more like something to extract detail.

To me, one amp makes music, the other makes noise, but that is my opinion, just as you have yours. Dont try to state your opinions as fact.

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 25
The HA-1 mkII is supposed to sound different but better than the original HA-1 though according to people who've tried both.

Jul 6, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 25
The Corda HA-1 MK2 is a total redesign of the MK1, so I guess your impressions are a bit old here
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not the amp that made the DT531 the "groovalizer" of lini for nothing!
... did that sentence make sense? o_O

-Taurui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back