Best amp for the CD3000s?
Sep 2, 2001 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mcbiff

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm seriously considering getting a new amp. But first I would like to know if anyone knows which ones I should be looking at and which ones don't match up at all. Just tell me which one is the best and I'll see if I can afford it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep in mind that I have little to no chance of auditioning anything since nothing is available here in Sweden.

Sep 2, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 21
Buget plays a big part but I'll throw my 2 cents!

For SS try the Creek SE (about 280 now).
For tubes the MG head (about 280 also).

Now if your buget allows.
SS - Sugden HM or the older MAX if you can find it for 800 or so.
Tubes - Earmax pro or MicroZotl would be "nice"
wink.gif

Now, there are many other excellent choices. (for more money!)
These are just my current favs /wish lists.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 21
What bootman suggests are good choices...except I'd stay away from the lower end amps for the CD3000s.
biggrin.gif
Go straight for things like the Sugden or the Earmax Pro if you can. I believe solid state drives them more nicely than tubes...they already have a great bass, and tubes will simply add more onto that.

Sep 3, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 21
I dunno, Melos SHA-1s are cheap these days if you look at audiogon, I'm seriously considering getting one myself...

oh oh shouldn't have told you that
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 21
Melos SHA1, eh? Looks interesting. Does anyone know where I can find some good reviews of it?

How does the Corda HA-1 compare to other SS amps like the Sugden? Is it in the same league?

I am a little weary of buying tubes because I know they are very hard to find here in Sweden. So SS would definitely be preferable.

Sep 3, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 21
Check out the ZOTL with those phones, but factor in the cost of good NOS tubes. ZOTL + CD3000 = eargasm!

markl

Sep 3, 2001 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm considering the Zotl, but because of the tube-issue the Sugden is atop my list at the moment. The only thing I want to know is how it compares to the Corda. I'd also like any information available on the Sugden, searching the forums didn't reveal much in the way of reviews.

Sep 4, 2001 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 21
Biff,

You're in Stockholm right? Correct me if I'm wrong but you have a Creek already?

Maybe you could find a good bargain on a used Headmaster or an Earmax Pro. EPs are manufactured in Germany and HMs are done in Britain.

I would probably try to look for a Euro product as I'm sure there are great savings to be had...

Sep 4, 2001 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 21
evil,

Indeed I am in Stockholm, but I don't think either the Earmax or the Headmaster can be found locally (or even in Sweden). So finding a used one could prove impossible. I did however find a nice deal on the HM ($719 shipped) which I might go for unless I can get a demo unit or something from another place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back