Best amp for Sennheiser HD650
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

veggiop

New Head-Fier
[size=x-small]What is the best (suited) amp for the HD650?
Or perhaps, what are the best amps, at different price brackets?
I have a Neco 9v V1 AD8066 with bass boost and V2 8610 (I think I got the opamps right). Also I have a MF V Can (stock). While I find that overall the Neco V2 is more involving, I generally find the V Can more suited to the laid back nature of the Senn with it's "not subtle enough for TWhat Hi Fi's tastes" sound.

Please comment guys!

Thanks [/size]

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 15
I’ve tried plenty of different amps with my 650s but the best pairing was using a Woo WA22, in balanced mode with a balanced source. This pairing seems tailor made. It helped to upgrade the Senn cable too. Lately, I’ve been listening to the Focal Clear and it gives more dynamics than the Senn and works well with many amps, so my recommendation now is to start with the Clear instead of upgrading amps to match the Senn.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 15
I have a Neco 9v V1 AD8066 with bass boost and V2 8610 (I think I got the opamps right). Also I have a MF V Can (stock). While I find that overall the Neco V2 is more involving, I generally find the V Can more suited to the laid back nature of the Senn with it's "not subtle enough for TWhat Hi Fi's tastes" sound.

Please comment guys!

Thanks [/size]

I have the Woo Audio WA7 "Fireflies" and it think it sounds great with the HD650s. Other amps I've tried are the Oppo HA-1, the Grace m9xx, the Audioengine D1, and a while back the Musical Fidelity M1AMP. The Fireflies are the winner, and look fantastic as well. Around US$1K.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 15
What is the best (suited) amp for the HD650?

Darkvoice DV336se

Schiit Valhalla

Meier Jazz FF

WooAudio WA6

The latter two also work on low impedance, low sensitivity headphones better than the first two. But if you're sure you're not going to use that sort of headphone might as well just get the DV336se.

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 15
I can’t recommend the WA6 for the Senn. In my experience with the Woo line, the Senns benefit from more power and larger transformer tube amps. I’ve owned the 6, 6SE, and currently own the WA22 and WA5. The 5 is marvelous with any headphone, but there is a special synergy with the HD650 when using the WA22 in full balanced mode with balanced source and HP cables. It’s magic and probably why I’ve kept the WA22 even though it gets little use.

Yes the thread is old but the longevity of the 650 and the presence of the HD6xx in large numbers from Massdrop means the question remains relevant.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 15
Considering the HD650 is my current favorite, I might have to look into a WA22. The subsequent "tube rolling" that comes with that amp, sounds complicated and expensive, but fun too.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 15
I’ve used the Brimar 5au4 which is cheap at $25, and the Mullard 6080s. I lucked into a pair of RCA black top 6SN7s. All told, not super expensive to tube roll. You’ll want a set of balanced cables for your HD650 and preferably a balanced source, as it made a noticeable difference in getting the HD650 to sound the best.

I’ve been using the WA22 exclusively for the past year now as the WA5 sits in storage during a house remodel. I love this amp, but I also added the Focal Clear which meshes quite nicely. I’ll need to break out the 650 to remind me of the synergy.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 15

Please comment guys!

Thanks [/size]
Depends on if you want warmth to it or just clean.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 15
I can’t recommend the WA6 for the Senn. In my experience with the Woo line, the Senns benefit from more power and larger transformer tube amps. I’ve owned the 6, 6SE, and currently own the WA22 and WA5. The 5 is marvelous with any headphone, but there is a special synergy with the HD650 when using the WA22 in full balanced mode with balanced source and HP cables. It’s magic and probably why I’ve kept the WA22 even though it gets little use.

Yes the thread is old but the longevity of the 650 and the presence of the HD6xx in large numbers from Massdrop means the question remains relevant.
U can buy violectric hpa v281. It's fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back