Best amp for HD650 quality/cost relation
Nov 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Maxrunner

New Head-Fier
Hi! im new here, and this forum was recomended to me regarding anything sound related. Im searching for a good headphone amp for the HD650 sennheizer pair. Its actually a present for a person who already has the HD650 and i was thinking what would be the best amp till 300/400$.

regards,

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 53
The Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente is a really nice SS amp for about $400 shipped. I own this amp and the HD650, and it sounds really good to my ears. It handles the bass of the HD650 very well. Skylab has a really good review of it.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 53
Darkvoice 332 - if you can get your hands on one.
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 53
I'd recommend a good solid state amp. You usually have to spend a bit more on a tube amp to have good control over the HD-650. Solid state amps I've heard and can recommend are the Headamp Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend a good solid state amp. You usually have to spend a bit more on a tube amp to have good control over the HD-650. Solid state amps I've heard and can recommend are the Headamp Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS.

The Eddie Current sounded great when I owned it with the HD650s and HD600s. I also like the Headroom amps with the HD650s. Great support and customer service at Headroom as well which is always a major plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 53
I've got the Little Dot mkIII powering my HD650 and it is a great sounding combo.

Just $240ish shipped.....but that is the cost before you start the apparent never ending tube swapping hobby. I haven't started that yet, but I doubt I can avoid it.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Little Dot mkIII powering my HD650 and it is a great sounding combo.

Just $240ish shipped.....but that is the cost before you start the apparent never ending tube swapping hobby. I haven't started that yet, but I doubt I can avoid it.

Where's the best place to get the little Dot mkIII???

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by httran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably ebay from Lawrence.

That's probably the Zero DAC you're talking about if it's from Lawrence.

The best place to get the LD MKIII is from David Zhezhe. Great customer service and fast shipping. Alot of people got their Little Dot amps from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-Dot-MK-II...3A1|240%3A1318

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 53
Well im not really well knowledged in the amp's. This is a present for my father, he really has some nice collection of headphones from AKG to sennheizer and other manufacturers. The thing is, he doesnt have a good headphone amp, and the idea was for me to offer him one. I've seen some models, like the darkvoice 332 and 336i/se, and even xcan v3/v8. But since this will be his first headphone amp, i would like to start with something nice and not too expensive. How's the little dot mk's? which model might be the best??mkIII, mkv???

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back