Best Amp for AKG K240s?
Dec 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Edward123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm kind of new to this site so I was wondering if you could help me out. I recently bought the AKG k240s 55ohms model two  months ago and I really enjoy it. However for some of the albums I heard distortions at the higher volumes. I usually listen to jazz and a little classical(mostly Beethoven's symphonies). So anyone know a good amp/dac under three hundred dollars? 

Thanks 

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
What are your bit-rates? Because more often than not, that's the source of distortion.

Otherwise, Are you running these out of a PC? Or are we talking portable? If PC, the distortion might be caused by your Onboard audio, so a better, cheaper, solution would be to buy a mid-range sound card.

I ask because the K240's don't really need an amp, and if you were using low bit-rate files, it would likely amplify the distortion with it.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 4

Edward123

New Head-Fier
They are all WAV files, only some of the files have distortion at louder volume and some don't. I normally listen to music at 20 percent on my laptop and under, but if I go over 20 percent I start to hear the distortion. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 4

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
Then I would recommend something small and simple like a Fiio USB DAC/AMP.

Like I said, the K240's don't really need an amp, and don't really benefit much from one. So if you don't plan on upgrading headphones to ones that really need the extra power anytime soon, I would suggest a smaller DAC/AMP.

That's my 2 cents. Of course, If you decide to get a large amp regardless, the options are many in your price range, and you're better off putting a post in the amplifier section.

Users who are viewing this thread