Best Amp/DAC under or around $100 for FostexT50 RP (modded) and Denon D2000
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Omark12

100+ Head-Fier
Best Amp/DAC under or around $100 for FostexT50 RP (modded) and Denon D2000? Audio gd NFB-12 and FiiO E10 come to mind. Also interested in new FiiO E17. Thoughts?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Damn, I could have sworn I saw it for 100, just checked and it was 200. Would the E10 do T50 RPs justice?
Quote:
I don't know where you can get the Audio gd NFB-12 for under $100, but I'd jump on that. Otherwise the E10 is a pretty good DAC/Amp

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 12
it depends what u are doing with it? do you need it to be portable or desktop or both? if you just need it portable and that's it. E11. if you need portable and desktop use, along with use on PC and Mac as an external sound card through USB or Toslink/Coaxil the E17 is definatley for you. the 250mW @ 32 Ohms should drive a majority of headphones. the E11 is 300mW @ 32 Ohms a good improvement but not super duper large

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Could the E17 drive T50 RPs?

Yes, from whtat i have heard. the Planar Magnetic headphones are very efficent. the Omark12 included. the E11 is the best amp to drive these.(in terms of price to performance and sub $100) the E6 could also drive it but not as well as the E11.
The E17 drives 250mW @ 32 Ohms
The E11 drives 300mW @ 32 Ohms
The E6  drives 115mW @ 32 Ohms

The E17 sounds the best out of all the ones from reviews. the E11 has more bass but the E17 is reviewed to be more punchy and better overal. so yes the E17 can drive it. 
However the E17 is a amp for multi use. If you just need the amp function. the E11 would be the best buy. if you need what the E17 offers. it is great. reviews have put this to have a very very good price to performance ratio

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 12
I've never understood why amps color music. I've heard the exact opposite planar magnetics are inefficient and difficult to drive. Also what does the E17 offer besides a DAC and amp?
Quote:
Yes, from whtat i have heard. the Planar Magnetic headphones are very efficent. the Omark12 included. the E11 is the best amp to drive these.(in terms of price to performance and sub $100) the E6 could also drive it but not as well as the E11.
The E11 drives 300mW @ 32 Ohms
The E6  drives 115mW @ 32 Ohms

The E17 sounds the best out of all the ones from reviews. the E11 has more bass but the E17 is reviewed to be more punchy and better overal. so yes the E17 can drive it. 
However the E17 is a amp for multi use. If you just need the amp function. the E11 would be the best buy. if you need what the E17 offers. it is great. reviews have put this to have a very very good price to performance ratio

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I've never understood why amps color music. I've heard the exact opposite planar magnetics are inefficient and difficult to drive. Also what does the E17 offer besides a DAC and amp?

hmm planar magnetics are a mystery. i've also heard both. i jsut did a quick search and it said they were easy. i'll add this to my collection of knowledge.
The Fostex have been said to be able to driven with an E6.

The E17 allows you to connect to computer to use as external sound card. This is through USB and will allow up to 24/96. Your computers DAC and amp will be bypassed.

The E17 will allow you to use it as a portable amp with an ipod or portable music player. Using it with an LOD or just a two ended 3.5mm cable will work.

The E17 can be docked with E9. This will bypass E17's internal amp and give you the E9's 1W of juicy power, while using the E17's DAC. 

With an FiiO L7, you can bypass the E17's amp itself and hook up your own amp for use if you don't want to dual amp and jsut use E17's DAC

With E17 you can use Coaxil or Optical (adapters included) with your PC or Mac, this will support up to 24/192 and is recommended if you have a coaxil or optical out on your device. Cable's are not included.

The E17 can be used with Xbox 360 or PS3 through it's optical out. this will let you use the E17's DAC and amplifier :)

It has balance options for L and R, Bass Boost options, volume memory, a hold switch.

Battery life is 15 hours, high quality metal casing, same size as E7, bigger 1500mah battery.

I think i did a good job marketing the E17 :p
yes i typed all that btw

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 12
I have an E10 with T50RP and D2000.  The E10 has plenty of power for the T50, I'm now listening to Rachael Yamagata with it on low gain, volume almost 3 (of 8).  (The Fostex are reportedly much easier to drive than the LCD-2 or Hifiman orthos.)  It is very good with either headphone, and can't be beat at the price.

If you want to stretch the budget, here are some things for consideration.
Ibasso D-Zero,  $122 after shipping. 16 bit DAC/Amp, has battery.
Fiio E17, MSRP $150, probably a little more.  My impression from the early reviews is that it sounds very close to the E10, if that's correct, only get it if you want the battery and extra features.

E11 has been mentioned, but that's an amp only. 
I have my eye on the Ibasso D7, but that's double the OP's budget.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I have an E10 with T50RP and D2000.  The E10 has plenty of power for the T50, I'm now listening to Rachael Yamagata with it on low gain, volume almost 3 (of 8).  (The Fostex are reportedly much easier to drive than the LCD-2 or Hifiman orthos.)  It is very good with either headphone, and can't be beat at the price.

If you want to stretch the budget, here are some things for consideration.
Ibasso D-Zero,  $122 after shipping. 16 bit DAC/Amp, has battery.
Fiio E17, MSRP $150, probably a little more.  My impression from the early reviews is that it sounds very close to the E10, if that's correct, only get it if you want the battery and extra features.

E11 has been mentioned, but that's an amp only. 
I have my eye on the Ibasso D7, but that's double the OP's budget.

Well here we have it :) the E10 if i remember correctly amps at about the same power as the E6. The iBasso in Headfonia's review was in terms of how well the amp sounded to Mike fared worse than the E10 which Mike@ headfonia liked better due to mids and soundstage. The E17 of course was reviewed to sound better than the E10. But again, the E17 is triple your supposed budget and should be consdiered IF you use all its functions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back