Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #271 of 664
Is anyone runnung the 800 S with a ragnarok and yggrdrasil?

My headphone system uses Yggrdrasil as its DAC, but I have a choice of DNA Stratus or Ragnarok. The 800 S was great with the Rag, but spectacular with the DNA Stratus. I like my system. Its articulate and powerful. I also use the 800 S with my computer system which is Cavalli LC v2 and Cord 2Qute DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #272 of 664
I am using Mini-Dynalo for HD800S with wonderful result.
086D1841-F2A2-4106-A626-DAE7B00EDBFC.jpeg

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #273 of 664
The H

The bass is actually just alright with the HD800S HDV 820. It’s there, and it’s controlled. But there is certainly not a lot of boom. For bass, Perfer HD 700 and HD 820 bass over HD 800S.
What you get with the HD 800 S and HDV 820 is insanely good imaging and soundstage so you feel immersed and can hear extremely fine details, such as noticing what type of surface the echo bounced off of (wood, concrete), the shape of the singers face, etc. if that excites you then go for it. These are my only headphones that can really do that.

Hi,
can you explain to me exactly what you are hearing so you can determine the underlined above? Fascinating!

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #274 of 664
Not sure exactly how else to describe it (the underlined part). But there is enough detail and soundstage and imaging combined to let you hear (on certain songs) the tiny echos your brain can translate as distance, type of material and angle of the sound wave off of a wall, vocal chord, microphone, face, etc. every headphone does this a little differently but I think the 800S does it the best, in my opinion. I think it has something to to do with having very accurate treble.

Since I’ve upgraded the DAC, I actually think the bass is quite good on the800S as well.

If I had to do it all over again, I might have just gone straight to Focal utopias or Stax flagships, since the detail is even higher, but I play video games competitively and the 800S are the best for gaming, IMO

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #275 of 664
Hi,
can you explain to me exactly what you are hearing so you can determine the underlined above? Fascinating!

Wow! He could reconstruct a crime scene and identify people based on an audio recording alone! This is invaluable!

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #279 of 664
I am looking for a nice DAC+AMP for my HD800S.
I would prefer them to be separate devices but with the same look/style.
Currently I am favoring for the Meier Classic FF + Meier Daccord FF.
Any advice? :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #281 of 664
i'v been running this kit for a few months now:

AMP : Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum balanced tube amp
DAC : RME ADI-2 DAC

I love this pairing. So much versatility, more than enough power. The resolutions is fantastic.
I don't expect changing my setup anytime soon.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #282 of 664
I mean, for the price, I think it checks a lot of boxes for many people.

I want to get a nice tube amp to add on. I was looking into the Woo WA6 SE, is that a good choice or are there better alternatives?
How about this one? Not that pricey. Its not out yet though.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-liquid-platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/

I remmember recomending the amp some time ago to you. And you sort of laughed at it,thought it was bad advice because no one had heard it yet. Turned out to be great anyway. :)

BTW i also think my Lake people RS 02 is a great pairing with HD800S. And has gotten better now with my niagara 1000 power cleaning. Nice warm basslines tube like. Compared to Thx 789. Could be end game for me.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #283 of 664
How about this one? Not that pricey. Its not out yet though.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-liquid-platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/

I remmember recomending the amp some time ago to you. And you sort of laughed at it,thought it was bad advice because no one had heard it yet. Turned out to be great anyway. :)

BTW i also think my Lake people RS 02 is a great pairing with HD800S. And has gotten better now with my niagara 1000 power cleaning. Nice warm basslines tube like. Compared to Thx 789. Could be end game for me.

Nothing personal. I just think it’s hit or miss to recommend something that isn’t even out yet.
You were right on the money!
I waited to see the reviews and the. i jumped on it. Great piece of gear

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #284 of 664

BTW i also think my Lake people RS 02 is a great pairing with HD800S. And has gotten better now with my niagara 1000 power cleaning. Nice warm basslines tube like compared to Thx 789 and its very transparent and very dynamic also and with sparkle up top. Has scaled well with Hugo 2 dac. My system i have now could be end game for me for at least 10 years i hope.

My budget recommendation.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #285 of 664
I am looking for a nice DAC+AMP for my HD800S.
I would prefer them to be separate devices but with the same look/style.
Currently I am favoring for the Meier Classic FF + Meier Daccord FF.
Any advice? :)
I would probably opt for the HDV 820, and if you want matching separate devices, I would pick a Schiit amp+Multibit DAC over the gear from Meier. My Yggdrasil Analog 2 and Schiit's customer support served me well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back