Best amp/dac for hd 650's?
Jul 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 30
Quality of music would be the encoding bitrate and the source where you got it from such as mp3 128kbps or 256 aac or flac. for example. YOu can check this in your player or by right clicking and checking audio properties.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 30
Ty for your reply, I'm not exactly sure what quality my music is at but I listen to everything except for country.

What he means is what format are they on - CD or digital copies. If they're digital copies, where did you get them from - ripped from CDs to what kind of file and bitrate or compression ratio, bought from iTunes, etc.

Recording and mastering quality is another but that's hard to ask for as a blanket statement as they can vary from one album to another, it's just that badly done albums are more common nowadays.

Also I chose to get the hd 6xx on massdrop because they seem like a bargain to me. I was also thinking about getting hifiman he400is instead.

Sennheiser is better for parts support, and even if you can't get HD6XX specific parts, HD650 parts will also fit.

Is going balanced difficult to do or do you just need the balanced cable?

It's not difficult, just expensive. You need to buy a balanced DAC and most balanced cables if you can't DIY them are relatively expensive (likely because the sellers assume you can pay for a balanced amp, you'd pay $300 for a cable).

Sorry I'm a newbie regarding this. Also, I live in California, in the U.S.

If you're in SoCal you can check Schiit website - they have a showroom where they have a few DACs and amps set up. They might have some headphones there too so you can probably try whatever's there and you'd have a better idea what you want and what people can recommend based on that (in case the ones you like there are above what you're willing to spend).

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 30
Yes if you can get down to Schiit I recommend checking out their showroom.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 30
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 30
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 30
Quality of music would be the encoding bitrate and the source where you got it from such as mp3 128kbps or 256 aac or flac. for example. YOu can check this in your player or by right clicking and checking audio properties.

Good morning,
I went into both Tidal and Spotify and tried right clicking and nothing with audio properties. I also went into settings and found nothing. I'd really like to know the bitrate of both these players and the source material I'm listening too.
Thanx for your help!

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 30
Good morning,
I went into both Tidal and Spotify and tried right clicking and nothing with audio properties. I also went into settings and found nothing. I'd really like to know the bitrate of both these players and the source material I'm listening too.
Thanx for your help!

What he said about right clicking to properties only applies to locally stored music, and you do the right clicking on Explorer or your music player.

Spotify Premium AFAIK is around 320kbps.

Tidal AFAIK is lossess by default, and then there's the MQA gimmick if you enable it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #27 of 30
What he said about right clicking to properties only applies to locally stored music, and you do the right clicking on Explorer or your music player.

Tidal AFAIK is lossess by default, and then there's the MQA gimmick if you enable it.

Great, Thanx. Appreciate the quick response.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 30
Good morning,
Thanx for your help!

In tidal and spotify are only at the highest if you set them so otherwise the bitrates vary. most people dont know this and listen at standard settings and are not listening to 320 or loseless as it is not default to listen at loseless or 320. You do this in the settings and streaming settings.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #29 of 30
Ty for your reply, I'm not exactly sure what quality my music is at but I listen to everything except for country. Also I chose to get the hd 6xx on massdrop because they seem like a bargain to me. I was also thinking about getting hifiman he400is instead. Is going balanced difficult to do or do you just need the balanced cable? Sorry I'm a newbie regarding this. Also, I live in California, in the U.S.
Are you in LA?

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 30
In tidal and spotify are only at the highest if you set them so otherwise the bitrates vary. most people dont know this and listen at standard settings and are not listening to 320 or loseless as it is not default to listen at loseless or 320. You do this in the settings and streaming settings.

Thanx.
Yeah. I have Hifi/master set on Tidal and it's Spotify premium. Both set to highest bitrates.
You're right about most people don't know about that as I was one of them. I finally figured it out after a few days.
I just thought I was missing something I wasn't aware of.
I truly do appreciate your response. You guys are quick! :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back