Best amp/dac for D7000s?
Oct 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

thinkpol

100+ Head-Fier
I love my D7000s, so much so that I got rid of my HD650s, T1s and will be selling my DT990/600s soon.
I purchased an amp specifically for the T1s before getting the D7000s and have since sold it because I found out that the D7000s are the cans for me. I'm having them pampered right now (lawton mods, also got some J$ pads).
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the best amp/dac for the D7000s? I am currently leaning towards the Meier Audio Concerto and StageDAC. What would be the most comparable alternatives? Is there anything better?
From searching the subject, it seems that D7000s synergize the best with solid state amps. Is this the rule? Are there any exceptions?
The only other headphone I'd be interested in (eventually) is the LCD-2, once they start selling for reasonable used prices. So it'd be a nice plus if it'd work well with these as well (but not required).
A HUGE plus would be if I could use the DAC and amp with speakers as well. I plan to get a modest speaker set up soon and if I didn't have to also purchase a speaker amp I could spend a bit more on the headphone/speaker amp. Excellent!
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Perhaps I should be looking at the Leben CS300, CS300SX and WA5?

For low impedance headphones like the D7000 I would go with the Leban is you want tubes but in reality I probably will go with a quality Solid State amp. I have the WA5-LE and I Rudistor RP010B and even that the D7000 sound great in the WA5_LE I think the Rudi does better especially with the LCD-2. if you are looking at the WA5 or Leban then a top Rudi should be within your budget.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 19
 I don't think the D7000 is that hard to drive that it needs a WA5. That's a lot of dough. Do they synergise with SS amps? I thought they do equally well with tubes. I know a few people who love their D7000s on woo amps, like the 6 and 6SE.

Gotta agree with you on the D7000 love though. As a compliment its perfect for the RS1i, and I find myself switching between the two. What I do is take one to work one day and the other the next
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm aware that the D7000s are pretty easy to power, however, I will probably eventually get my hands on some LCD2s. It would be nice to get an integrated speaker/headphone amp as well as I plan on getting a few monitors in the near future. That is why I was considering the CS300/WA5. I'd like to keep it under $2,000 if possible, however, if something a bit more is the obvious answer as the "best" then I could easily stretch it. :)
Do Cary, RWA or Rudistor offer good integrated speaker/headphone amps in the $1500-$2500 price range?

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 19
I've used a few speakers + amps, Denons, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and have friends who own some of these. What I've noticed is that the headphone outs do not seem to be as good. Seems to me, it depends on whether you're looking for a great speaker amp that can also do cans, or a great headphone amp that can do speakers.
The WA5 is over 2000$, the LE doesn't have the speaker component, could be you're looking at a B22? I don't see any integrated amps on Rudistor's page.
But I'm a rookie here. Could be you want to hold out till some senior member who's used one of these comments.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 19

Well, the CS300X has been revered as one of the best headphone amps available at any price range. I'm not sure if the CS300 does as well with headphones, but I would assume it would. From what little I've read about its use with speakers, I've only heard good things. I am looking for a superb headphone amp that also does speakers well. My listening with speakers will be less analytical (while cleaning the house, doing other things). I'd have to say 75% headphone listening 25% speakers.

Quote:
I've used a few speakers + amps, Denons, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, and have friends who own some of these. What I've noticed is that the headphone outs do not seem to be as good. Seems to me, it depends on whether you're looking for a great speaker amp that can also do cans, or a great headphone amp that can do speakers.
The WA5 is over 2000$, the LE doesn't have the speaker component, could be you're looking at a B22? I don't see any integrated amps on Rudistor's page.
But I'm a rookie here. Could be you want to hold out till some senior member who's used one of these comments.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 19
another firm vote here for the RP010B - balanced LA7000 combination

best I've ever heard, which includes the Leben

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 19
The Denon AH-D7000 sounded great with the Schiit Asgard. I also read on here that the Asgard works well with the Audeze LCD-2 headphone. You really can't go wrong with the Asgard for $250.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 19
i run my 7000's off a solo srg and stagedac.
am very pleased with sound.
but i am tempted to try the concerto, as a comparison with my solo.
these phones are often said to be "easy to drive". does this mean a good dac is more important than the amp?

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 19
I just picked up at Audio-GD Ref 5 and ROC SA which I am running my D7000's from balanced. Very happy, lots of detail and very musical with great impact.

The ROC SA has lots of power so should run the LCD-2 well, although I have not seen any actual reviews of the pairing.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm running my D7000s off of a WA22 and I love the combo.  I rarely turn the volume past six clicks unless the recording itself is fairly low-volume.  More detail than you can hope for and such a smoooooth sound with the right tubes. 
darthsmile.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 19
I've heard my D7000's with high end tubes (Woo 5), and it does sound great.  That said, I prefer solid state with the Denons.  Take that with a bit of a grain of salt - I tend to prefer solid state or hybrids over tubes in general, by a wee bit.

I had them paired with a Dynalo, and the combo was great.  I currently have them paired with a Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp with the DPS, and I find the combo absolutely outstanding.  I have read and heard that the Gilmore light is an excellent pairing - my experience with the Dynalo would seem to bear that out.

Put me in the "good solid state" camp, with an appreciation for fine tubes, but an unwillingness to pay for them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back