Best AMP/DAC combo for office under 500$ for ATH ES-7
Dec 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
It's been a while since I wrote something here
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a nice AMP/DAC combo for the office.
Going to power up the Audio Technica ES-7, which I like a lot.

My main requests are:
- AMP/DAC combo, preferred to be a single unit, and small as possible.
- USB DAC is a must.
- I prefer a unit with PSU, mobile ones with normal working hours are an option too.
- High quality sound as possible for the price, the AMP doesn't need to be very powerful, the ES-7 are very easy to drive.
- No need for gazillion inputs/outputs/gain selection/etc..., KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
tongue.gif

So far I have thought about the Headamp Pico and the Meir Audio Cantate.2

I saw bad reviews about the DAC in the Cantate, so it kind of turned me down.
The Pico is not stationery and although it has a built in charger, it will require dealing with charging which is a bit silly since the usage is for stationary and not mobile.

So, other suggestions are welcome since I haven't been around, I am clueless of what is good, bad, and what worth checking.

**Edit**
Just found the Styleaudio Topaz which seems to fit all my requirements at a price of 400$, looks like a nice package, what is the buzz around it ?

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Yeah as you said I would consider the Pico, I have read good things about it and those cans.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Dec 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 10
I think the Pico might be your best bet. The DAC section in it is very well-regarded, and, like you said, you shouldn't need particularly serious amplification for those ES-7s. The portability of the Pico is a plus too, especially considering it doesn't seem to have any detrimental impact on its performance.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 10
hi mrshadow, I sometimes use the es7 at work, usually unamped.

Anyway, just finished a brief comparison with my es7 through my laptop onboard sound (Realtek HD audio), and amped through my corda swing (amp section similar to cantate) and audio-gd compass (amp/dac combo).

The main changes, to my ears, were pretty much as we'd expect: (1) cleaner, tighter bass, (2) smoother mids, (3) slightly wider/better soundstage and separation.

The improvements are there but I'm not sure I'd get an amp just for the es7s. Maybe you could spend the 500 on some new headphones (and the rest on some xmas pressies)? If you need closed cans at work and like audiotechnca, maybe you could try one of the es7's big brothers (esw9/es10). Maybe some who's heard the es7 and esw9 can chime in..

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Pico might be your best bet. The DAC section in it is very well-regarded, and, like you said, you shouldn't need particularly serious amplification for those ES-7s. The portability of the Pico is a plus too, especially considering it doesn't seem to have any detrimental impact on its performance.

I guess I'll need a better DAC than amp.

Can the Pico be used with the AC adapter together, acting as a PSU instead of a charger ?
What the estimated working hours with DAC/AMP ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi mrshadow, I sometimes use the es7 at work, usually unamped.

Anyway, just finished a brief comparison with my es7 through my laptop onboard sound (Realtek HD audio), and amped through my corda swing (amp section similar to cantate) and audio-gd compass (amp/dac combo).

The main changes, to my ears, were pretty much as we'd expect: (1) cleaner, tighter bass, (2) smoother mids, (3) slightly wider/better soundstage and separation.

The improvements are there but I'm not sure I'd get an amp just for the es7s. Maybe you could spend the 500 on some new headphones (and the rest on some xmas pressies)? If you need closed cans at work and like audiotechnca, maybe you could try one of the es7's big brothers (esw9/es10). Maybe some who's heard the es7 and esw9 can chime in..

Thanks for the Info.
The ESW9 do look nice, the ES10 are a bit expensive for me as I know I would like to have a normal source eventually.

The Denon D2000 look like a nice option too, how do they compare, they are at the same price: 349$.

I might get the ESW9/D2000 and a simple DAC/AMP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Yahh, putting the $$ on a good Phone will probably bring the biggest improvement rather than a source/AMP.

I like the ATH sound, so I would like to stick with the ESW9 and from reading the reviews on the D2000 Vs. ESW9, it looks like the ESW9 is more forgiving with bad recording which I tend to hear (mostly rock/metal).
I would even go with the ESW10 (which I read are a nice step up to the ESW9) but they are 2-3 times more expensive and hard to find.

What freaks me out is the huge amounts of fakes going on with them.

Any tips on where to get a non faky ESW9 at a decent price ?

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Pico be used with the AC adapter together, acting as a PSU instead of a charger ?
What the estimated working hours with DAC/AMP ?

"The Pico is powered by a 2-cell lithium-polymer battery for twice the voltage, and has an internal linear smart charger. An included DC adapter supplies the power to the charger and can also power the amp. A regulator in between the DC adapter and the charger keeps the power very clean."

This statement was copied from Justin's(HeadAmp) thread announcing the Pico's release back in 2007.

Personally, I like to run the Pico from the battery because of it's clean power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back