Best Amp+DAC Combo <$200?
May 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kogganator

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'll be purchasing a new set of headphones soon (probably DT 880 Pro, HD 650, or HE-400) and I'd like to buy a nice amp/DAC to run from my PC to power them. It can be a single unit or a separate amp and DAC, doesn't matter, and neither does portability, it just has to come to less than $200 total. I listen to FLAC files on my PC using foobar, if that's important. Any suggestions about what amp/dac would be best or works best with one of the headphones I mentioned is greatly appreciated, thanks!

May 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 3

MrViolin

Headphoneus Supremus
Probably the schiit stack (magni and modi) by schiit. They have done reviews w/ the hd650 and the he-400, but it was in the modi or magni threads or one of the comparison threads between the schiit stack and o2/odac (objective combo). It's been a really long time though, but you might want to check those threads or just search. 

Don't worry, the he-400's and the hd650's aren't all that hard to drive. The magni has more than enough to satisfy them.

May 13, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 3

Modulus

Head-Fier
Same boat here. I'm torn between the Schiits, the O2 and the Audinst MX2, which I suggest you also check out.

I would really love to see I direct comparison between these three as none exists on head-fi that I am aware of, and I've been searching hard. People have compared the Schiits with the o2/odac, but not with the Audinst. 

Would love to know how the transparency of the Audinst competes with the other two. 

Some advantages of the Audinst that are pulling me its way: possibility to power speakers. Good compact form factor. Dual outputs ideal for overs and IEM's. And of course a power cable that plugs in from the back :wink:. However the Schiits do have the strongest industrial design.

Users who are viewing this thread