Best amp and DAC for Audio Technica AD2000?
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Is the AD2000 as good or better than the HE500 if I pair it with the V200 or M^3, or does the HE500 still win?

I really think you are talking two very different headphones. 'Better' is a relative term - if one suits your musical tastes better than the other, does that make them universally 'better' ? This isnt the same as 'HD201 vs HD800' - obviously, most of us would spend the money to get the quantum leap in that instance. 

You need to be clear on what it is you are after, and dont be afraid  to admit that you want pumping bass if that is one of your priorities. Too  many on HF, IMO, seem compelled to list a bunch of 'audiophile' wishlist traits like PRaT etc - nothing wrong with that, but it can lead to some wonky recommendations. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
Do you think they will be good for rock and metal? I would also like to know if they come with a carrying case like the other hifi models from audio technica. Thanks for all your help :wink:

No carrying case.  You have to get one off ebay or something:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251060441488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&clk_rvr_id=354522457208#ht_6190wt_1165

I hear the HE-400s are good for rock and metal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/4185#post_8735196

These are a good bang for your buck as well

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

I really think you are talking two very different headphones. 'Better' is a relative term - if one suits your musical tastes better than the other, does that make them universally 'better' ? This isnt the same as 'HD201 vs HD800' - obviously, most of us would spend the money to get the quantum leap in that instance. 

You need to be clear on what it is you are after, and dont be afraid  to admit that you want pumping bass if that is one of your priorities. Too  many on HF, IMO, seem compelled to list a bunch of 'audiophile' wishlist traits like PRaT etc - nothing wrong with that, but it can lead to some wonky recommendations. 

To be honest, I don't care that much about bass as other people do, as long as it doesn't interfere with the mids, the more the better. My main priorities are good and present mids and an exciting but non fatiguing treble. I was really interested in the HE500 because of it's great mids and highs, but other people said that the AD2000 had one of the best upper mid presentations out there, so I'm looking for a comparisons and which one would fit me better. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

No carrying case.  You have to get one off ebay or something:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251060441488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&clk_rvr_id=354522457208#ht_6190wt_1165

I hear the HE-400s are good for rock and metal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/4185#post_8735196

These are a good bang for your buck as well

I've researched about it, but I'm a bit worried that the upper mids won't be as present as I want them to be, although some head fiers said the mids were fantastic.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
I've heard some interesting things about the AD2000. People say that they are one of the best heasphones in the world when matced with the right amp and DAC. It is also said to have one of the best mid presentations out there, and Im looking for a headphone with really good mids. What amp and DAC would be the best match with it and make it a spectacular headphone? I listen mainly to rock, metal, and alternative, I also plan on using it for gaming. Do you think it's a good choice for me?

Quote:
How about a Xonar Essence One? I am thinking about this for my AD2000.

What did you guys decide on?  I've owned my AD2000 for a while now, but am just now looking into getting amplification other than my Pioneer receiver/amp.  I've since picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350, also a low impedance headphone, and am trying to decide what wold be the best amp and DAC for both.  

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #22 of 22
I chose the Essence One for 2 reasons: heard it with the AD2000 and they were really good, and this way I can have my headphones always plugged in simultaneously with my stereo speaker system. I think it's a good match, and althought it is possible that you can do even better with another headamp out there, convenience is an important factor as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back