Best all around amp for an owner of BOTH the Sennheiser HD650 AND the Beyer DT880/600?
Aug 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
This is for owners, or former owners, of both the DT880/600 and HD650 at the same time.
I own both the Sennheiser HD650 and the Beyerdynamic DT880/600, and I am currently driving them with a Headroom Micro Amp that does a fairly good job with both of them, but I feel that there is much more sonic potential to be had with both headphones.
I have briefly listened to both headphones very briefly, but not in the same time frame, with the Woo Audio 3, and I thought it sounded really good with both of them, if memory serves well?
Thats been well over a year ago, and in fairly noisy environments.
I have heard the 650's with the MF X-can V8, and Headamp GS-1, and the 650's sounded really good with both of them, but I have not heard the Beyer DT880/600 with any of the amps above in the poll.
I don't want to have to buy two seperate amps for each headphones, but a SINGLE good one that brings out the full potential of both headphones, and drives the Beyer DT880/600 ohm with plenty of power and authority.
I have no preference for tubes or solid-state, and I am in neither camp. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I have heard both sound outstanding in the past.
Price does not really matter either, but I would really prefer spending less than $900.00 or so. [Hopefully a lot less!].
I listen to basically all kinds of music under the sun, but I am not really a rap or heavy metal fan.
I want an amp that brings out the full detail of the 650, and lifts the slight veil, and sometimes slight muddiness, drives them with authority, opens them up, and brings them to life.
With the DT880's I want them driven by an amp with power and authority, opens them up fully, while minimizing brightness or sibilance, and opens up the soundstage.
Does such a one trick pony amp for the Senns and Beyers exist?
If not, does one come really close?
Which amp in this poll would work with the best synergy for BOTH of these headphones, while having the least sonic compromises with each, IYHO?

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Anyone else...come on guys...
I seriously need your help!
Please vote.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks FallenAngel.
Can they be had for less than $900.00?

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 16
Cannot find the 2-channel Beta for $850.00. Is it an ad on Headfi, or somewhere else?
Any other opinions in my poll would be greatly appreciated.
I am surprised that more people have not voted.
Surely there are plenty of other people out there, besides me, who own both the Beyerdynamic DT880/600 and the Sennheiser HD650?

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 16
The 'Nugget Audio' in front of the '2- Channel Beta 22' was what threw me off.
I was going through the amplifier for sale section, and was looking for beta 22, and not Nugget Audio.
I was also punching beta 22 into the search engine and the Nugget Audio Beta 22 did not show up.
Guess I need to read alittle more carefully next time. I do get a tendancy to go too fast when I skim over the for sale ads on Headfi.
Thanks FallenAngel.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 16
If the Beta22 isn't available, look for a Gilmore Lite. I think they're underrated because they're not expensive enough, but it is a clean, clear and powerful amp. A Dynahi is great, too. Assuming you can find one, that is.

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 16
^ This
GL was my first, hot damn, amp and was a good deal cheaper than the one that was, really thats it :wink:  But not being built any more so you have to stalk the FS forum.  There is a dynalo on the FS right now though.    Obviously not as pretty in or out but should be similar sound.

Builder is a member here so if it goes south you can shake your fist at him =P

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for all your responses and votes so far!

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 16
There is only one amp that can come to mind... WA3+!!!!

It really does power them perfectly.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 16
Is the WA3+ really that good with the DT880? I tend to prefer the more refined sound of my M^3 (mind you, only paid $220 for it) to my $550 MAD Ear+ HD. Maybe I am just a solid state guy? Or maybe the MAD is better for Grado's and Woo audio for Beyers? I would love to hear a WA3 nonetheless to see anyway.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 16
Is the Dynahi similar sonically, and circuit lay-out wise, to the HeadAmp GS-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back