best albums you've never heard..
Mar 1, 2004 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ES347

New Head-Fier
I would like to hear from everyone who knows of an album or albums they have stumbled upon over the years that never made it mainstream. There are some rare finds out there. My two contributions would be:

"Meet Danny Wilson" by Meet Danny Wilson, circa 1987, a Scottish band who made this one album then disappeared. Some pretty clever stuff especially when heard on headphones.(http://www.emimusic.de/vir_at/xml/1/...4/7860112.html)

"Toy Matinee" by Toy Matinee, circa 1990, a collaboration between Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard, the music is priceless rock and the lyrics are catchy.(http://www.audiorevolution.com/music...ineedvda.shtml). Kevin Gilbert died young and this album stands as a testimony to his talent.

Mar 1, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 15
138891-001.jpg

Vir Unis & Christopher Short: The Yellow House. It's such beautifully flowing, bubbling music. It's wonderful for drifting off to sleep and imagining I'm floating among the stars or sitting next to a crackling campfire under the canopy ceiling of some jungle. Great stuff. More info at Ambientrance and available at atmoworks.

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 15
jazz is already very non-mainstream, but trio töykeät is even unknown among jazz circles so i'd nominate "trio töykeät - kudos"
for this category. of course there are better (jazz) albums out there but i have yet to meet somebody who knows of this piano trio.

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 15
Max Lässer´s Ark - A Different Kind of Blue

Max Lässer makes music that easely changes shapes. Plays like a fish in water, a swallow in the sky, like the wind over rolling hills and billowing fields. A web of meditative jazz with elements of new age, Americana, latin, country, cajun and blues. Beautiful, glorious and honest instrumental (with exception of one song) music.

max.jpg

Mar 2, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Pat Metheny - Secret Story

Wonderful and beautiful improvisational music, a touching poetic story. Jazz at it´s best, warmly recommended.

seceret.jpg

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ES347

"Toy Matinee" by Toy Matinee, circa 1990, a collaboration between Kevin Gilbert and Patrick Leonard, the music is priceless rock and the lyrics are catchy.(http://www.audiorevolution.com/music...ineedvda.shtml). Kevin Gilbert died young and this album stands as a testimony to his talent.

If you like Toy Matinee, you must buy Kevin Gilbert's 'Shaming of the True'. It's a biting concept album about the realities of the music biz.

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bralack42
138891-001.jpg

Vir Unis & Christopher Short: The Yellow House. It's such beautifully flowing, bubbling music. It's wonderful for drifting off to sleep and imagining I'm floating among the stars or sitting next to a crackling campfire under the canopy ceiling of some jungle. Great stuff. More info at Ambientrance and available at atmoworks.

Vir Unis has much better albums than this one (not to say this one isn't good).

And man, there's one of these threads every other week.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

"Meet Danny Wilson" by Meet Danny Wilson, circa 1987, a Scottish band who made this one album then disappeared. Some pretty clever stuff especially when heard on headphones.(http://www.emimusic.de/vir_at/xml/1/...4/7860112.html)

Actually found another of their albums on CD first - Bebop Moptop.
I enjoyed it tremendously while trying to find a CD copy of their self-titled release. Good stuff.

Mar 13, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 15
I admit that I haven't listened to the radio in years so if this CD made into the "mainstream" I didn't know it. I find a lot of music by listening to soundtracks and then searching out artists that I like. One such find was a band called Texas (heard them on the Titan A.E. soundtrack). I found that I really enjoy their CD called The Hush.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Surprised this hasn't had much action in it's 12 year life!

I recently wrote another Between the Cracks installment:

http://fastnbulbous.com/between-the-cracks-part-3/
Great bands that slipped between the cracks of new wave, power pop, punk and post-punk, 1978-1982

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Frank Zappa-The Yellow Shark.

Shortly before his death from prostate cancer, Mr. Zappa was approached by the German chamber ensemble Ensemble Modern. They were interested in performing his music and they hit it off. This CD, which was the last recording released before Zappa's death, is one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. Instead of right-left stereo mixing, there was an eight right to left channels in the final mix. Everything in the recording process was digital. This is a recording that will truly test the fidelity of your system, especially G-Spot Tornado. In fact I play this recording prior to a listening session to "warm up" my system. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back