BEST ALBUM OF THE DECADE! Argue with it... if you can!
Mar 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

klb2122

100+ Head-Fier
A brief statement… I think the Potishead’s Third is the best album of the decade. The intelligence and cleverness in the album’s recording, the brilliant variety in song and the way each track hits the listener like a shot in the arm is utterly lovely. Beth Gibson’s vocals, the allowance for crackles, bits of distortion and luscious simplicity showcases this groups confidence and command of their medium. I am hard pressed to pick one or even just a couple songs from this album as being the best among the whole -as the penultimate expression of Portishead’s abilities- as each song seems to come from it’s own space. I will not attempt to ascribe politics to the groups return to the studio. I will liken it to description of dumplings a friend recently had in northern China. He described the dumplings as looking more like tacquitos than the dumplings you’re used to seeing. Dough that was not fully crimped the pork stuffing, holding its form and integrity but, poking out on one end. The shape was not the uniform perfection but more like chubby arthritic fingers. Why was such questionable presentation not a concern? Because they were the best ****ing dumplings on the surface of the planet! That is a perfect analogy for describing Portishead’s Third. The group’s abilities transcend nit-picking and obsessive layering and pushing the dynamic landscape for WOW factor. They know their game and they play with the brutish subtly of the best of club football. Each track drives with impunity but holds back in the most delightful ways. Ways that tug at the listener’s ear, brain and gut. Certain percussive strikes sound as though oily pig skin or dampened paper towels have been placed on the drumhead and the effect seems to conjure the image of the drumstick hitting your eardrum with heart-aching accuracy.

This mention comes quite sometime after the albums release and that’s because I don’t listen to it all that often and that’s because this album demands a certain level of attention and listening environment. Best played over speakers at volumes that bring the performance’s forcefulness into your space it isn’t every day that I am able to give the album the space it deserves and demands. But when I do it is the penultimate expression of what the trip-hop scene was in the 90s and what music can be in this decade soon to close. The guys of animal collective have put out something special in Merriweather Post Pavilion, but, their frenetic almost psychosis-inducing layering and obsession with crystalline highs have a few things to learn from the effortless beauty of Third and the spaces it creates. I see the collective putting out an album, two or three down the road, that begins to approach Portishead’s ability but I don’t hear anyone rivaling this effort at this moment.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 19
By 'penultimate', do you mean the ultimate?
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 19
Basically I found Third and Merriweather Post Pavilion to be, just boring. I wanted to like both albums, gave them repeated listens in all different kinds of environments. But every time I found myself wanting to tune out halfway through. It was a chore to keep listening. Maybe I'm missing something with those two albums, but I don't really find any need to search for it any longer. There is a lot of music out there and I don't feel the need to keep listening to music that I think is boring.

This isn't so much to put down your opinion, I know a lot of people that agree with it. People whose opinion in music I respect.

For a point of reference more than a point of argument, my favorites of the decade were, in no particular order:
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead - Source Tags & Codes
Beck - Sea Change
Drive-By Truckers - Decoration Day
Gomez - Liquid Skin
I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In the House - Menace
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Of Montreal - Satanic Panic In The Attic
Old 97’s - Satellite Rides
Radiohead - Kid A
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically I found Third and Merriweather Post Pavilion to be, just boring.

I've only heard Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I do agree. There are a couple songs on it that I really like (My Girls and Summertime Clothes). The rest just feels forced, like they wanted as hard as they could to sound interesting and forgot the entertaining.

The local library has Portishead's Third, so I'll check it out on my next weekly raid. It better live up to this hype!

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Third was brilliant, looking forward to their next, after a Beak> Tour they will go back to the studio's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portishead's Third akin to Chinese dumplings - who woulda thunk it! I wouldn't pick it for the decade but have no problem with anyone that should. It was through and through brilliant.

BTW, many Head-Fi'ers weighed in for their album of the decade here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/bes...dition-446126/

I still haven't heard Confield, will have to finally check it out now.

I could definitely get behind Third for the best but probably have to go with Love and Theft by Bob Dylan. guy is on another tier in terms of music output, hard to compete

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 19
According to the commercials for the new Broadway show based on Green Day's tunes, American Idiot is the album of the decade. I tend to disagree though.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 19
Oh my! i totally screwed up with my wordage... not penultimate! sorry... ultimate works better.

You know I've never been able to get on the dylan train...
Same with the beatles.
I will not try to argue people out of their love though. I'm just sure I know what mine is.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 19
meh...I listened to that album at least 3 or 4 times and have taken nothing memorable from it. It was a big let down, at least with all the hype and expectation it had.

Best album of the decade would have at least given me one song to remember, or a reason to keep listening and grind it out, but alas it didn't.

My vote would have gone to In Absentia (referring to the other thread).

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 19
It was a good listen but I didnt think there was anything special about it.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 19
So I made a library run earlier than expected. The album was good, no doubts about that, but not Best of the Decade quality. Right now I still give that to Kid A, but my answer changes every few days. Today Kid A just gripped me hard is all. Other days I pick In Absentia, other days Funeral (which, off-topic, sounds incredible with HF2s!)

I'll give it another spin before I have to take it back.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Funeral is a great album for sure. The performances and songwriting are amazing but the engineering of the album can't touch Third. I get it's a live studio recording, but, there's a bit of a washed flatness to it that I keep hearing more and more as time passes.

I'd have to go with in rainbows, amnesiac and hail to the thief over kid A myself.

But Third is still tops!

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 19
haha i don't really have a problem with you thinking it's the best album of the decade, because that is entirely your opinion to have. But saying that it's the best and that no one could argue with that it is naive at best. I just checked it out, and the genre is not for me at all. So saying there weren't any other albums that were better is wrong, it's up to each person to decide. I feel very strongly that Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is the best album of the decade, and even more, one of the best albums I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back