Best album of the 90s, everyone agrees.
May 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

klb2122

100+ Head-Fier
In 1995 David Bowie brought us 1. Outside.
1. Outside is the best album of the 90s.
Stunningly recorded. Capturing the horror and freedom of the moment of realization that the millennium was upon us 1. Outside wraps everything that is apathy, cynicism, technology/human interdevelopment, the horror of alienation: the thrashing of castrated individual subjectivity divorced from community that produced everything from Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails and Strange Days.
1.Outside is the quintessential album of the 90s in concept and an insanely produced and recorded one at that. The spaces characters float in and the obviously technologically produced sounds and anthems of tech. reliance were the apprehension and fear of what the internet could mean. Lawnmower man, Total Recall, Robo Cop; Human>made>machine: humanity lost: 12 Monkeys, SEVEN, suicide bombers in the West Bank, David Koresh Michael Jordan VS Dennis Rodman.
This is the album that brought me to where I am today. This is the album that prompted me to throw on fishnet shirts, dresses and black nail polish NOTHING MATTERS… ITS ALL DERANGED NO CONTROL!
And it SOUNDS perfect!
Across the board every song is recorded beautifully. The layering of tone the round grittiness of digitized city grim and the majesty of clouds illuminated by sodium lights in the night.
This album is its concept. It is as perfect as technology can give us and the terror of severed humanity and the question of ethical relations at the moment your subjectivity disperses through fibre optics.
 INCREDIBLE!
I mean come on you cannot do any better than “the voyeur of utter destruction (as Beauty)”. You just can’t get any better (when it comes to lines). Hearts Filthy Lesson when it comes to everything else.

May 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:
... This is the album that prompted me to throw on fishnet shirts, dresses and black nail polish ...

blink.gif

Erm...cool story, bro'.

But yeah, it is/was a good album. Best of the 90's? I dunno about that, tho'.

May 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 43
hehehe...you said curseword
tongue_smile.gif

by the way,i didn't say it is the best album of the 90's so it is no longer everyone.
but seriously, is it your favourite album of all 90's albums?  great!  i really can't say this for any album i know because they are all different and special in their own way.  I listen to a lot of music genres.

May 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 43
There is a lot of competition in the 90 like
Ok computer - radiohead
Nevermind - Nirvana
Downward spiral - 9 inch nails
Dirt - Alice in chains
Rage against the machine - Rage against the machine
Nirvana - unplugged
These are just to name a few only in the rock category. I probable like all of these as better choices.

May 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 43
C'mon Son, that's some bs, best of the nineties. Better than Nas Illmatic, Megadeth Rust in Peace, Joe Satriani self titled from1995, OutKast Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Black Star, Wu Tang Clan Enter the 36 Chambers, Al Di Meola Kiss my Axe, any RATM album, the Vital Tech Tones, GFK Supreme Clientele,? The list goes on and on. Your favorite sure, but the best? No freakin' way.

May 24, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 43
I can already predict the forthcoming of this thread...

the 90's is the time i grew up.  music from the 90's takes me back in time,but it is not david bowie.     personally I like his 80's albums more.

May 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 43
wink_face.gif

i've been preaching about the excellence of 1. outside for years. bowie meets lynch and gibson with his best tunes in a decade.
kees has already seconded the motion, so i'll make a third. and a fourth.
so yes, everybody agrees (at least here in this thread.)

you naysayers just aren't deranged enough to count, no?
just kidding.
no, i'm not.
are you?
have you been to oxford town?

May 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 43
I can think of 5 random albums that are >= than what you've just posted. 

Mogwai-Young team
Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Wilco- Being There
GZA-Liquid Swords
Sonic Youth-Goo

Another five

Dr. Dre- Chronic
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders 
Radiohead- OK computer
My Bloodly Valentine- Loveless
The Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin

Another five

Neutral Milk Hotel- In the aeroplane over the sea
Nirvana- Nevermind
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
Public Enemy-Fear of a Black Planet
Belle and Sebastian- If you feeling sinister

Another five

Nirvana-In Utero
Wu-Tang Clan- 36 Chambers
Beastie Boys- Check your Head
Nas- Illmatic
B.I.G.- Ready to Die

Another Five

Outkast- Aquemini
Godspeed you Black Emperor!-F# A# Infinity
R.E.M.- Automatic for People
A Tribe called Quest- Low End Theory
Elliot Smith- XO

Sure it's your favorite album of that time but I would hardly say it is the BEST album released in the 90s. David Bowie just can't pull off a reggae sound...I would always remember Bowie of the 60s-70s. 

May 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 43

Quote:
I can think of 5 random albums that are >= than what you've just posted. 

Mogwai-Young team
Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Wilco- Being There
GZA-Liquid Swords
Sonic Youth-Goo

Another five

Dr. Dre- Chronic
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders 
Radiohead- OK computer
My Bloodly Valentine- Loveless
The Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin

Another five

Neutral Milk Hotel- In the aeroplane over the sea
Nirvana- Nevermind
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
Public Enemy-Fear of a Black Planet
Belle and Sebastian- If you feeling sinister

Another five

Nirvana-In Utero
Wu-Tang Clan- 36 Chambers
Beastie Boys- Check your Head
Nas- Illmatic
B.I.G.- Ready to Die

Another Five

Outkast- Aquemini
Godspeed you Black Emperor!-F# A# Infinity
R.E.M.- Automatic for People
A Tribe called Quest- Low End Theory
Elliot Smith- XO

Sure it's your favorite album of that time but I would hardly say it is the BEST album released in the 90s. David Bowie just can't pull off a reggae sound...I would always remember Bowie of the 60s-70s. 

Great albums! 
They can all be number two.
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 43
There's also Radiohead's "The Bends". And Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie". And The White Stripes' self-titled. And Metallica's "Black Album", and Pearl Jam's "Ten", and RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". More of a stretch, but I like them: Dream Theater's "Images and Words", Portishead's "Dummy", The Flaming Lips' "Clouds Taste Metallic", Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides", Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dream", among others.

May 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
There's also Radiohead's "The Bends". And Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie". And The White Stripes' self-titled. And Metallica's "Black Album", and Pearl Jam's "Ten", and RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". More of a stretch, but I like them: Dream Theater's "Images and Words", Portishead's "Dummy", The Flaming Lips' "Clouds Taste Metallic", Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides", Porcupine Tree's "Stupid Dream", among others.

although "mellon colie..." share 4 of the smashing best songs ever (tonight tonight,33,bullet with butterfly wings,  79) i would pick "siamse dream" as their flagship album.

EDIT: ah...and you forgot to mention the pixies-"doolitle" and RHCP-"sex,sugar... etc."
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back