Best Album of 1991
Nov 14, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #22 of 28
Its not snobby at all. 

I must admit I struggle with shoegaze a bit. For example, I love Ferment, but much of the other shoegaze classics leave me cold. 

I am the same with Radiohead. The rest of my music collection points to me liking them, but I really, really don't.

Swings and roundabouts.

I will try Loveless again though. Promise.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
Its not snobby at all. 

I must admit I struggle with shoegaze a bit. For example, I love Ferment, but much of the other shoegaze classics leave me cold. 

I am the same with Radiohead. The rest of my music collection points to me liking them, but I really, really don't.

Swings and roundabouts.

I will try Loveless again though. Promise.

I bought "Ferment" and "Chrome" by Catherine Wheel and thought I was a shoegaze fan.  But after digging deeper in the genre, turns out I wasn't.  "Loveless" has gradually grown on me through the years.  I still don't love the album, but I like it now.  "Sometimes" is one of my favorite songs by any band.  I love "The Bends", "OK Computer" and "In Rainbows" by Radiohead.  I like some songs on the others albums, but I have a hard time hearing the other albums from start to finish.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 28
Eek, so tough. I'd have to go with My Bloody Valentine: Loveless. But damn, are there some close contenders:

Atheist: Unquestionable Presence
Slint: Spiderland
Talk Talk: Laughing Stock
A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 28
Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese :D 
that bass on "tommy the cat" :D 

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
We need one of these for every year.  This is fun to check on Wikipeed to see what came out when.  

Yeah, it's a pretty fun exercise,. I've had that Whitley CD for twenty some years. Not sure I've had it since it was released, but pretty close. I've had Into The Great Wide Open, which was also mentioned for quite a while too. I've also had the Fire Inside by Seger since it came out in 91, and it still gets an occasional listen. No one mentioned that one, so a tip of the hat to Bob.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 28
Mr. Bungle - s/t
Dead Horse - Peaceful Death and Pretty Flowers
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
Nirvana - Nevermind
Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Coil - Love's Secret Domain
Hilt - Journey to the Center of the Bowl

Many many more I really enjoy, but I'm stopping with the strongest 4/5s and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back