Best Album of 1991
Nov 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier

Chris Whitley ~ Living With The Law

Lot's to choose from in 91, but this is easily my favorite. This is just good music. There is not a weak track on the entire record IMO. Lyrically Whitley penned some great songs, and he can sing. Musically, if you like a blues stew of sorts, Whitley delivers his acoustic and electric blues with a mix of country and rock. The record was recorded in Daniel Lanois  New Orleans mansion and produced by Michael Burn. Sadly Chris died in November of 2005 of lung cancer.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 28
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magick 
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity
SRV - Sky is Cryin'

Probably top 5 there. 

Blood Sugar Sex Magick gets my 'best' vote though. That album is flat out amazing.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 28
For me - a bit of an eclectic mix .....

Best would be a toss-up between Pearl Jam's "Ten" and Nirvana's "Nevermind". Honourable mention - simply because I really like the albums ......

Queen - "Innuendo"
REM - "Out of Time"
Tom Petty &THB - "Into The Great Wide Open"
Genesis "We Can't Dance"

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 28
As I took a look back through 1991 to try to refresh my memory about the stuff I was listening to that year, I didn't come up with much that hasn't already been mentioned. I don't think 1991 was a very strong year for music. It seems there was kind of a void around then. Even across multiple genres, it seems like artists were still trying to figure out how to transition out of the '80s. It seems like a lot of artists kind of skipped that year.

I guess I'd have to go with 'Nevermind' as the best of that year. In a year where I don't think there was much going on, that was certainly the most influential. I know I was listening to the Chili Peppers and the Tom Petty record too. Pearl Jam didn't do much for me, even though I went and saw them soon after that.

The only other stuff I came up with:

Dinosaur Jr. -  Green Mind
The first Dinosaur Jr. record I really started listening to...

MC 900 Ft. Jesus - Welcome To My Dream
An adventurous and interesting take on hip-hop mixed with jazz...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld
Not really new material, but new live versions. I got this one on VHS and I had my VCR plugged into my "big" stereo and my Sony tube TV. Home theater, lol! This video was great! 
smile.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 28
U2 - "Achtung Baby" should be mentioned.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 28
The songs I hear the most around school, I think, were:
- Enter Sandman
- No More Tears
- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- If I Had $1000000

The one album that stands out that nobody has mentioned yet is Road Apples, by the Tragically Hip.  Seemed like their arrival, and they would pretty much dominate Canada in the 90s.

Really not sure what album I listened to the most.  Possibilities:
- Van Halen, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
- Byran Adams, Waking Up the Neighbours (because the GF played it so much)
- Mr. Big, Lean Into It
- SRV, the Sky is Crying

My problem with the Sky is Crying is that it's posthumous, and comes across as a throw-together, not as a cohesive volume.  Still amazing, but uneven.

Looking back, I'd probably pick Pearl Jam's Ten, though if I owned it, I might choose RHCP's BloodSugarSexMagic

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 28
They're both very good, but BSSM is in my top 5 albums of the 90s. Period. Not just '91. I can't tell you how many time I've listened to it. Up there with Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine as far as bands of the 90s go.

EDIT: Might not be '91, but in '92 another one of my Top 5 came out...and they're doing a damn 20th anniversary box set.
http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Against-Machine-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B009G7ZYUO/ref=tmm_acd_title_0

These guys are killing me this year with these boxes.

Quote:

Looking back, I'd probably pick Pearl Jam's Ten, though if I owned it, I might choose RHCP's BloodSugarSexMagic

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 28
Primus Sailing The Seas of Cheese has stuck with me since the day I heard it.  That's my personal first pick.

De La Soul Is Dead and Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory have stuck with me also.  Couple more from the list on Wiki, and I'm just now realizing how much rap I listened to back then...

I remember the day my mom bought me the RHCP album when it came out.  I just got a CD player and she's like, "I got you something, you like these guys don't ya?"  I was always listening to Mother's Milk on cassette.  But I already started to really like Primus and didn't really give Blood Sugar much of a chance til years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_in_music

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 28
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned:  "Ten", "Nevermind", "Achtung Baby", "Out of Time", Metallica (Self Titled) and "Loveless".  I'll throw Guns 'N Roses "Use Your Illusions I & II" and Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" out there as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back