Best Airline Phones!
Oct 23, 2002 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Which Airline, in your experience heads out the best free headphones. I no they all suck...but which is the best regardless?

Oct 23, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 19
Just by the way: I've read the other day, that Sennheiser will be coming out with a new headphone especially for airplane travellers - the PX 250, which is a foldable supra-aural phone just like its smaller new brother PX 200, but additionally equipped with noice cancelling electronics. One of the bigger german mags - I think it was Audio - will publish a test of both in the next issue...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2002 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Um, yeah. Sennheiser's company airline.

Seriously, are you being serious?
confused.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Just by the way: I've read the other day, that Sennheiser will be coming out with a new headphone especially for airplane travellers - the PX 250, which is a foldable supra-aural phone just like its smaller new brother PX 200, but additionally equipped with noice cancelling electronics. One of the bigger german mags - I think it was Audio - will publish a test of both in the next issue...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

That's fine lini, but really, who cares about a new cheap NC headphone?? They all tend to suck alot...

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Um, yeah. Sennheiser's company airline.

Seriously, are you being serious?
confused.gif

No, I'm being serious, just not seriously serious, if you don't know what I don't not mean.

Regarding Sennheiser airplane phones -- Lufthansa and British Airways both use them (if I remember correctly) and they're both very bad. I don't understand what the point of starting a thread on this is, since these headphones are always bad!

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Judging from what alot of people have said on these forums (and from the fact I own a pair) the Sennhesier HD 25-1's would be very good for airline travel as they have amazing isolation
smily_headphones1.gif

Hang on I've got the completely wrong end of the stick here, you're on about free ones they give out on airlines.... Well in that case I really don't know
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sorry!

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 19
Flasken: Well, who knows? It may be one that really works...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 19
For what's it's worth, I just read that American is doing away with the $5 surcharge for inflight entertainment - either for using their headphones or for using yours.

I never use their entertainment anyway. The sound quality is just awful - always a high pitched whine in the background.

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Regarding Sennheiser airplane phones

We're talking about the sennheiser COMPANY airline, where each seat comes equipped with its own orpheus.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 19
I would probably say Jet Blue. Yeah, they are limited in where they travel, but you can fly from LA to NYC for under $300, each seat is large, leather, and has its own personal TV screen that has 20 channels of direct TV!!!

Their headphones are the best ive used on an airplane.

Oct 24, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Which Airline, in your experience heads out the best free headphones. I no they all suck...but which is the best regardless?

Well, let's see. I fly both United and American (gold on both) a fair amount. I prefer United because American not only charges for headphones, but they actually sometimes have the gall to try and call it an "entertainment charge", meaning you're supposed to pay even if you use your own phones. The phones on United flights are pretty good, especially if you're into second-hand earwax collection.

Neither one holds a candle to Air China, though (just flew them last weekend). Their phones are better than anything you're gonna find anywhere else, because of their design (a stroke of pure genius), which entirely eliminates the AEC/EAC process, the cause of pretty much ALL sound imperfections. Of course, I'm refering to the destructive Acoustic to Electrical and Electrical to Acoustic Conversions that lesser equipment like the studio mastering process, SACD/CD/LP players, headphone amps, and electrostatic/dynamic headphones perform.

Strangely, despite the theoretical perfection of Air China's brilliant Direct to Ear Acoustic Function(tm) technology, I ended up preferring the imperfect, mangled, compressed, electronically converted sound of my Archos multimedia jukebox played through my impure, electrically-tainted Ety 4p's... I just don't get it.

-Nadim

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Well, let's see. I fly both United and American (gold on both) a fair amount. I prefer United because American not only charges for headphones, but they actually sometimes have the gall to try and call it an "entertainment charge", meaning you're supposed to pay even if you use your own phones. The phones on United flights are pretty good, especially if you're into second-hand earwax collection.

Neither one holds a candle to Air China, though (just flew them last weekend). Their phones are better than anything you're gonna find anywhere else, because of their design (a stroke of pure genius), which entirely eliminates the AEC/EAC process, the cause of pretty much ALL sound imperfections. Of course, I'm refering to the destructive Acoustic to Electrical and Electrical to Acoustic Conversions that lesser equipment like the studio mastering process, SACD/CD/LP players, headphone amps, and electrostatic/dynamic headphones perform.

Strangely, despite the theoretical perfection of Air China's brilliant Direct to Ear Acoustic Function(tm) technology, I ended up preferring the imperfect, mangled, compressed, electronically converted sound of my Archos multimedia jukebox played through my impure, electrically-tainted Ety 4p's... I just don't get it.

Could you explain more on this? As it is, I can't tell whether it is a veiled cup-and-string-audio joke or a serious technology.

Oct 24, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
Could you explain more on this? As it is, I can't tell whether it is a veiled cup-and-string-audio joke or a serious technology.

Sorry, I thought the normally appropriate
evil_smiley.gif
suffix would have been superfluous, given the intended sarcasm in my last post. The headphones on the Air China flight were none other than the old hollow-tube-that-carries-sound style that might be more appropriately described as "stethoscopes" than "headphones".

Next time I'll use a smiley, or the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> pseudo-HTML tags...

-Nadim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back