Best Airline Phones!
post-200812
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 19

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Joined
Feb 26, 2002
Messages
2,238
Reaction score
11
Joined
Feb 26, 2002
Posts
2,238
Likes
11
Which Airline, in your experience heads out the best free headphones. I no they all suck...but which is the best regardless?
 
     Share This Post       
post-200815
Post #3 of 19

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2001
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 20, 2001
Posts
4,796
Likes
10
Sennheiser's company airplanes.
 
     Share This Post       
post-200838
Post #4 of 19

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
21
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,117
Likes
21
Just by the way: I've read the other day, that Sennheiser will be coming out with a new headphone especially for airplane travellers - the PX 250, which is a foldable supra-aural phone just like its smaller new brother PX 200, but additionally equipped with noice cancelling electronics. One of the bigger german mags - I think it was Audio - will publish a test of both in the next issue...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
     Share This Post       
post-200859
Post #5 of 19

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Joined
Jun 25, 2001
Messages
6,636
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 25, 2001
Posts
6,636
Likes
10
Um, yeah. Sennheiser's company airline.

Seriously, are you being serious?
 
     Share This Post       
post-200902
Post #6 of 19

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
12
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Posts
2,319
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Just by the way: I've read the other day, that Sennheiser will be coming out with a new headphone especially for airplane travellers - the PX 250, which is a foldable supra-aural phone just like its smaller new brother PX 200, but additionally equipped with noice cancelling electronics. One of the bigger german mags - I think it was Audio - will publish a test of both in the next issue...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini


That's fine lini, but really, who cares about a new cheap NC headphone?? They all tend to suck alot...
 
     Share This Post       
post-200920
Post #7 of 19

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2001
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 20, 2001
Posts
4,796
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Um, yeah. Sennheiser's company airline.

Seriously, are you being serious?


No, I'm being serious, just not seriously serious, if you don't know what I don't not mean.

Regarding Sennheiser airplane phones -- Lufthansa and British Airways both use them (if I remember correctly) and they're both very bad. I don't understand what the point of starting a thread on this is, since these headphones are always bad!
 
     Share This Post       
post-200921
Post #8 of 19

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Messages
327
Reaction score
11
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Posts
327
Likes
11
Judging from what alot of people have said on these forums (and from the fact I own a pair) the Sennhesier HD 25-1's would be very good for airline travel as they have amazing isolation
.

Hang on I've got the completely wrong end of the stick here, you're on about free ones they give out on airlines.... Well in that case I really don't know
. Sorry!
 
     Share This Post       
post-200926
Post #9 of 19

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
21
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,117
Likes
21
Flasken: Well, who knows? It may be one that really works...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
     Share This Post       
post-200930
Post #10 of 19

AdamK

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Posts
24
Likes
0
For what's it's worth, I just read that American is doing away with the $5 surcharge for inflight entertainment - either for using their headphones or for using yours.

I never use their entertainment anyway. The sound quality is just awful - always a high pitched whine in the background.
 
     Share This Post       
post-201013
Post #11 of 19

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Joined
Jun 25, 2001
Messages
6,636
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 25, 2001
Posts
6,636
Likes
10
Quote:

Regarding Sennheiser airplane phones


We're talking about the sennheiser COMPANY airline, where each seat comes equipped with its own orpheus.
 
     Share This Post       
post-201028
Post #12 of 19

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
235
Reaction score
33
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Posts
235
Likes
33
I would probably say Jet Blue. Yeah, they are limited in where they travel, but you can fly from LA to NYC for under $300, each seat is large, leather, and has its own personal TV screen that has 20 channels of direct TV!!!

Their headphones are the best ive used on an airplane.
 
     Share This Post       
post-201765
Post #13 of 19

Nadim

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Posts
65
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Which Airline, in your experience heads out the best free headphones. I no they all suck...but which is the best regardless?


Well, let's see. I fly both United and American (gold on both) a fair amount. I prefer United because American not only charges for headphones, but they actually sometimes have the gall to try and call it an "entertainment charge", meaning you're supposed to pay even if you use your own phones. The phones on United flights are pretty good, especially if you're into second-hand earwax collection.

Neither one holds a candle to Air China, though (just flew them last weekend). Their phones are better than anything you're gonna find anywhere else, because of their design (a stroke of pure genius), which entirely eliminates the AEC/EAC process, the cause of pretty much ALL sound imperfections. Of course, I'm refering to the destructive Acoustic to Electrical and Electrical to Acoustic Conversions that lesser equipment like the studio mastering process, SACD/CD/LP players, headphone amps, and electrostatic/dynamic headphones perform.

Strangely, despite the theoretical perfection of Air China's brilliant Direct to Ear Acoustic Function(tm) technology, I ended up preferring the imperfect, mangled, compressed, electronically converted sound of my Archos multimedia jukebox played through my impure, electrically-tainted Ety 4p's... I just don't get it.

-Nadim
 
     Share This Post       
post-201814
Post #14 of 19

Squalish

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Messages
905
Reaction score
11
Joined
Oct 15, 2002
Posts
905
Likes
11
Quote:

Well, let's see. I fly both United and American (gold on both) a fair amount. I prefer United because American not only charges for headphones, but they actually sometimes have the gall to try and call it an "entertainment charge", meaning you're supposed to pay even if you use your own phones. The phones on United flights are pretty good, especially if you're into second-hand earwax collection.

Neither one holds a candle to Air China, though (just flew them last weekend). Their phones are better than anything you're gonna find anywhere else, because of their design (a stroke of pure genius), which entirely eliminates the AEC/EAC process, the cause of pretty much ALL sound imperfections. Of course, I'm refering to the destructive Acoustic to Electrical and Electrical to Acoustic Conversions that lesser equipment like the studio mastering process, SACD/CD/LP players, headphone amps, and electrostatic/dynamic headphones perform.

Strangely, despite the theoretical perfection of Air China's brilliant Direct to Ear Acoustic Function(tm) technology, I ended up preferring the imperfect, mangled, compressed, electronically converted sound of my Archos multimedia jukebox played through my impure, electrically-tainted Ety 4p's... I just don't get it.


Could you explain more on this? As it is, I can't tell whether it is a veiled cup-and-string-audio joke or a serious technology.
 
     Share This Post       
post-201874
Post #15 of 19

Nadim

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Posts
65
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
Could you explain more on this? As it is, I can't tell whether it is a veiled cup-and-string-audio joke or a serious technology.


Sorry, I thought the normally appropriate
suffix would have been superfluous, given the intended sarcasm in my last post. The headphones on the Air China flight were none other than the old hollow-tube-that-carries-sound style that might be more appropriately described as "stethoscopes" than "headphones".

Next time I'll use a smiley, or the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> pseudo-HTML tags...

-Nadim
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top