Best AA batteries for sound quality
May 4, 2007 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

h939

New Head-Fier
In a portable CD player, which AA batteries would give the clearest sound quality? They will be used with Grados, I don't want to make the sound any brighter.
Also, how long is the average burn-in time of a battery? Would it differ between alkalines and nickel-cadmiums?

May 4, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 97
I've been happy with my duracells. Energizers were not a good match for my grados b/c they were too energetic
blink.gif
I've heard the average burn in time for batteries are 50 hours but I get never get past 20 on my player.
frown.gif
I've never had the pleasure of hearing fully burned in batteries.

Please tell me this is joke. If it is it will be the one of the greatest first posts ever
icon10.gif

May 4, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 97
A battery is a battery man, DC is always DC, of course if you have the requirements of current and voltage that your device will demand...to state you hear any difference.....OMG!!! We already have enough with the power cable zealots.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 97
These ones sound really good: http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-NH15...242225&sr=8-11

They add a nice bit of bass without overpowering any of the Grado's amazing midrange and highs. The soundstage is pretty good, not to mention the amazing instrumental separation. I'd recommend burn-in of at least 100 hours to tame some of the boominess. You might want to upgrade some of the metal in the battery holder in the CD player to pure gold.

Don't forget to wrap in ERS paper though.

I hope this is supposed to be a joke. I found it pretty funny
tongue.gif

May 4, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 97
well, I don't know about how different battery effect sound, but I do know that Duracell does last longer than Energizer while Energizer does give more power to back up an electronic item. (past experience from messing around with mini 4WD race cars)

May 4, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 97
I find that plain DC battery may not be extreme enough. It is best to self-build your own battery from pennys, nickels, and salt water soaked paper (non recycled for a cleaner sound). Then you should wire up the battery pack with Nordost Valhalla cable, and don't forget to wrap the whole thing in ERS paper for the extreme in sound. If you forget the ERS paper you might rip your headphones off and puke in disgust at the subpar sound your system is producing.

biggrin.gif

May 4, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 97
I would scrap AA's altogether. For true audiophile sound, and if you already wear a backpack everywhere, pull out your soldering iron and re-route the connections from the current battery supply to one of these babies. The sound will truly blow you away at prices comparable to a full iMod, and with only a slight decrease in overall portability.

I read somewhere that this will fit inside an unmodified iAudio X5L case, but I haven't tried it myself.

May 4, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 97
I can definitely hear a difference among battery manufacturers. The ones with a copper case have a much warmer sound and the silver-cased batteries sound kind of cold to me. It's kind of nuanced but with enough experience and expertise you can hear it.

And don't tell me to waste my time with a blind test... I know what I hear!

May 4, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can definitely hear a difference among battery manufacturers. The ones with a copper case have a much warmer sound and the silver-cased batteries sound kind of cold to me. It's kind of nuanced but with enough experience and expertise you can hear it.

And don't tell me to waste my time with a blind test... I know what I hear!

I know what you mean. I find though, that if you use the silver-cased ones and take a green felt-tip marker to the inner and outer edges of the CD, it warms up the sound a good bit by helping the laser's reflectivity. But with the copper case battery/green felt-tip marker combo, you really get that "right in the studio" feeling.

May 4, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 97
Would any audible differences be purely due to the voltage supplied by the batteries or what? All i know is that some rechargeable batteries dont' supply the full 1.5V and some opamps don't perform as well when they're under-supplied...
@RubenNYC... haha... the thought has actually crossed my mind on a few occasions but i would never have the guts to actually do it, let alone have the energy of actually luggin that around w/ me for a whole day. If I had a small trolley though things might be different :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back