Best 9V battery for portable amps
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Demonmnky

Head-Fier
Simple question.

What is the best recharageable battery for a portable headphone amp?

I find that lithium 9V batteries give the best power for my Headsix. Followed by normal brand-name alkaline; Followed by generic 9V alkaline; Followed by my rechargeable 9V.

Are there Higher Quality rechargeable batteries or am I stuck buying lithium batteries, like a bottle of wine, for special occasions?

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 49
I've often wondered the same thing. I know ray Samuels discourages using some types' batteries in his amps. But I normally use rechargeable Ipower batteries and a few disposable lithiums for the Hornet, but only because on his website, Ray says the disposable lithiums give a really long life.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 49
I've trying to find someone who sells a rechargeable 9V battery for my Meier amps but I can't find it in my country, don't know why.

I found some sellers, like I power US, but they don't ship abroad. Does anyone know someone who can ship 2 batteries and a recharger for me? I really want to get those lithium batteries...

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 49
but aren't these batteries a little longer than regular ones?

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but aren't these batteries a little longer than regular ones?

I use an Ultralife lithium 9v in my Zen Head ZH1, it is a tight fit as this battery is very slightly longer & thicker, but it does fit. I wrap a piece of ribbon around the middle of the battery, just long enough to give me a pull tab by grabbing the two ends(of the ribbon), before I push the battery into its compartment. This is a non-rechargeable battery, but I suppose some re-chargeable types may also be a little longer.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 49
I like the Tysonic low discharge 9 volt by far. It has the same type of low internal resistance of the eneloop batteries, which mean a better power supply, which equates to better dynamics, more transparency and finer detail because of cleaner current delivery.

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 49
interesting choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Tysonic low discharge 9 volt by far. It has the same type of low internal resistance of the eneloop batteries, which mean a better power supply, which equates to better dynamics, more transparency and finer detail because of cleaner current delivery.

X2. I took Jamato8's advice and bought these for my SR-71A. Maybe not the longest battery life, but for sure the finest sounding 9V I've heard.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've trying to find someone who sells a rechargeable 9V battery for my Meier amps but I can't find it in my country, don't know why.

I found some sellers, like I power US, but they don't ship abroad. Does anyone know someone who can ship 2 batteries and a recharger for me? I really want to get those lithium batteries...

I also live aboard and recently brought the Codra 3Move, and have been looking up rechargable 9V lithium battery and charger too. I may not need this afterall, as I am thinking of changing direction and selling my 3Move as new, but here is one that apparantly ship to many countries:

Trew Audio - Batteries - iPower Battery / Charger Combo

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 49
Anyone have an Idea about battery chargers, any charger for NiMH batteries will be fine??

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 49
I would assume a NiMH charger is a NiMH charger and the batteries are built to be charged by them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have some buying and trying to do!

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 49
Do you guys know if Energizer rechargeable batteries are any good? Because Tysonic batteries shipping is like $15 to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back