Best <$600 DAC?
Jul 26, 2008 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

th0m

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a Keces 131 on the way since a couple of days ago. However, I managed to scrape together a little more money and I'm already thinking about getting something else (damn you head-fi!). So, what's the best DAC $600 will get you? Will there even be a significant difference to the Keces? Only requirement I've got is that it must be able to handle 192kHz signals.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 12
A lot will depend on the kind of sound you like. For example OS vs NOS, sound very different. Then there is the "magic" the builder puts into his products, no two $600 dacs will sound the same. Heck you put 2 similarly priced dacs and 50 people in a room and I bet you you will have it split 50/50.

All that aside you may want to look into the Oritek V4.1 or if you have an Apple the Apogee Duet. Good luck.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot will depend on the kind of sound you like. For example OS vs NOS, sound very different. Then there is the "magic" the builder puts into his products, no two $600 dacs will sound the same. Heck you put 2 similarly priced dacs and 50 people in a room and I bet you you will have it split 50/50.

All that aside you may want to look into the Oritek V4.1 or if you have an Apple the Apogee Duet. Good luck.

You're right of course. It's just that it's totally impossible to hear any of the DAC's talked about here on head-fi in Sweden, so the only possible way is to buy a pig in a poke (that's what you say right?).

Anyway, I've been hearing a lot about the Oritek but can it handle 192kHz signals? Can't find any detailed specs anywhere.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 12
I was looking for a DAC in this price range and had narrowed it down to CIAUDIO VDA2 or Stello DA100 (used) based on reviews / recommendations of others. I finally settled on an Opus Dac (DIY) w/some added modules. I should be in the $600.00 range when it's said and done.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm too much of a novice with a soldering iron to be able to build a DIY DAC and I like to keep things as hassle free as possible, so I don't think the Opus is for me.

The VDA-2 looks good though and from what I've read, CI Audio seems to be making some very nice products overall. Looks very interesting.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by th0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Only requirement I've got is that it must be able to handle 192kHz signals.

Out of curiosity, is the 192KHz requirement down to the fact that your audio material is sampled at 192KHz, or do you have a lot of 192KHz material?

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 12
I've got about a handful of albums ripped at 24bit/192kHz that I still want to be able to play through ASIO.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Yes, the OMZ can accept 24/192. It's a really nice DAC, by the way.

Another option would be to get something like a Zero, and install a discrete output stage. Easy to do, even for the DIY-Challenged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back