Best $500 Headphones?
May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

MoMann

Head-Fier
I was going to buy the Ultrasone 550 and then a separate gaming headset (something like the ASTRO A40). But then I was thinking maybe are headphones that I can use with my phone at school, then come home and use it as a headset for games any ideas? Also, I live in the US, max price is $500, and I listen to Hip-Hop/Rap.e Ultrasone 550 and then a separate gaming headset. I play PS3, PC, and listen to music off my phone with a fiio E11. My max price would be $500.

May 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 68
Hello.

I have to say that $500 is a very generous budget! Heck, you could buy like 3 different headphones to do 3 different things (one for school, one for home and one for gaming! lol) :wink:

1) How are you planning on listening to the headphones at school?
Straight from your phone?

2) How are you going to watch movies?
From your Computer? Or from a Blu/DVD connected to a Stereo Receiver?

3) Do you need them to be closed (partial isolation, prevents sound leakage) or open?

I have a bunch of headphones and when I'm playing PC games or watching movies on the PC, I use my $30 trusty Panasonics (on my signature). Trust me, the quality of these headphones are phenomenal and in my opinion rivals a lot of other headphones in the 0 to $100 bracket. Apart from these, again for the purposes of gaming and movie watching ON the PC, I use my Sennheiser HD600s (connected to a Nuforce Icon HDP)

For playing PS3, I usually never use a headset but when I do, I use the PS3 Wireless headphones they released last year. Not the best audio quality ever, but does it job.

For straight up music listening, at work I use the Denon D5000s (they go great with music and movies!), or the Panasonics, or any other portable I have at the moment -- right now the V-MODA V80s!)
At home I use the Sennheiser HD600s or the Shure SRH940s.

Again $500, you can do a whole lot.
In my opinion, I would just tell you to go with the D5000s since they excel with everything I throw at them but they are not really all that portable... nor do they isolate a whole lot.

Not sure if I helped you but if you answer the questions above, hopefully we can narrow down the choices and the community might help you better also.

Thanks and Good Luck!

May 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 68
Omg thanks soo much I have been checking back like every 5 minutes for a reply and I was planning on getting a E11 for when I use them with my phone. Also I somewhat watch movies not sure exactly how I would do it though, probably just use the E11. Also, I do not care if they are open or closed. 

P.S. I also just heard that headsets are usually bad quality. But then I was thinking how would you talk to your friends on PC and PS3?

May 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

P.S. I also just heard that headsets are usually bad quality. But then I was thinking how would you talk to your friends on PC and PS3?

Sennheiser headsets sound quality is fine, either the PC350/360. 

Or you can buy a regular set and attach a boom mic/clip on mic. 

May 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 68
Usually for headphones less than $500 an amp is NOT a necessity. Yes it helps, but it depends on the headphones you end up getting!

A lot of people just pair a microphone such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

to their favorite headphone and that's it.

You COULD look into a specialized gaming set from Astra, Creative or Turtle Beach or Tritton, etc. BUT again, for pure audio bliss these guys wont do (have just tried Turtle Beach FX41s, Creative's Tactic 3D Omega and in my personal experience, sound-wise, they don't hold a candle to my headphones).

I suggest you also look on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added

and see if you find post from people with your similar situation and go from there.

May 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 68
Great those are just the answers I was looking for. Just to make sure the clip on mic will also work with ps3 right? Also what should I do if they are closed headphones?

May 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 68
Great those are just the answers I was looking for. Just to make sure the clip on mic will also work with ps3 right? Also what should I do if they are closed headphones?

May 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 68
I have been using Sennheiser HD650 for school for over a year now. If you get a hard case for them you can even fit a decent amp and DAC in the case which will make them portable. For the music you listen to, you will not be disappointed with the bass. I would certainly recommend them

May 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 68
I am not sure about the PS3 since I dont own one but for a computer if you use a USB DAC to run the headphone amp, you can get a cheap USB ADC for a clip on mic and connect both perfectly

May 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 68
Ok so this is what im thinking about.

1. Buy Ultrasone 900
2. Buy Fiio E11
3. Buy mic

Would the Fiio be good for when I listen to music on my phone and then game on my PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back