best 3D gaming headphone w/ big soundstage
Mar 30, 2004 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

eMpAtHy

100+ Head-Fier
whats the best gaming headphone with the biggest soundstage out there?? i need headphone that can help me hear 3D sound. I'm currently on a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer. Would amps help too?? and i dont think the rest of my computer would matter..but can someone list the best ones out there..and one for ~100 dollars?? US dollars please. Thanks.

edit: how do pc150's and pc 155's par up. i dont think i need the sound card thing on the pc 155's so its basically the pc150's and what about the plantronic audio 90's as gaming headsets..i guess im looking at headphones and headsets..

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 32
Believe it or not, you dont want a big soundstage with gaming headphones. First off, most games handle sounds pretty harshly these days; there's a cutoff distance x from the source in the game and it's rather noticeable on headphones. But more importantly, the sooner you hear a sound the more time you'll be able to respond, which means you want a more upfront soundstage.

Just something to think about.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Soundstage is a myth

i think a lot of people would disagree to that..for example, are you saying 1 dollar earbuds have the same soundstage as hd650's??..

but anyone else out there with ideas on gaming headphones?

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by eMpAtHy
i think a lot of people would disagree to that..for example, are you saying 1 dollar earbuds have the same soundstage as hd650's??..

$1 earbuds sound different to HD650s, but I think it's more sound quality than soundstage. Like I said, unless the music's been recorded with headphones in mind, it doesn't work.

def. soundstaging, soundstage presentation - The ability of a system to accurately convey the general or overall size, shape, heigth, width, acoustical characteristics, and depth of the instruments as they were recorded within the space in which they were recorded. As it were, the soundstage defines the boundaries of the imaging. If a system creates a soundstage larger than the original recording, this is known as an artificial soundstage.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 32
For example, Senns HD590 has a wider soundstage than Senns HD497. It has more space between the instruments, the boundaries are more distant, while the 497 sounds IN the head, the 590 sound OUTSIDE the head. The difference between crappy-one-dollar-earbuds and high-end-earspeakers [(C) Stax!!!] is not only in the sound quality!

However, back to topic.

I've found that the HD590 has a very wide sound, but it's relaxed, so it's beautiful with graphic adventures, but it's not punchy enough with first person shooters. The Grado Sr-60 has a narrower stage (but still good), ans is more involving in the environment. The Senns HD280 is closed headphone, so it's good if you want to be isolated from the outside noise: it has also good bass and detail if you want to hear the steps of your enemy while he approaches. If I have a LAN party, i'll choose the HD280. Another good (and cheap) choice is the Senns PX100, punchy and clear, little and really portable.

I don't know what's the best: i think that it is a taste matter, as always in headphone's choice.

Bye

Andrea

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 32
The Senn HD280's are a good choice for gaming. However they sound rather flat/closed in, and you may not like that. I usually use HD280's for games, but just now I spectated a game of Quake 3 (older fps) using Sony CD3000, phones with a wide soundstage, and I liked the sound. It was very easy to locate sounds all around the front and to the sides. You might try one of the basic Audio-Technica phones that have the angled drivers like the CD3000. The ATH A500 is about $100, IIRC. Check on audiocubes.

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
If a system creates a soundstage larger than the original recording, this is known as an artificial soundstage.

How wold you know if you never heard the original master recording on the original equipment?

"Artificial" Soundstage. We just truncate the "Artificial" out. Less to type that way.

Here, soundstage is defined as the perceived overall size, shape, heigth, width of the "environment" in which the "instruments" are playing.

Imaging refers to the perceived location of the sound (instruments.)

-Ed

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 32
Soundstage is not a myth with headphones, but a headphone soundstage will never approach the quality of speaker soundstage.

Headphone soundstage is either over-separated, emphasizing left and right and center "blob" channels whilst creating massive fatigue in the process, or it's a smoother, more accurate soundstage, panning from left to right, if you're using an amp with crossfeed. I'd recommend a really cheap amp (headroom or meier) that has crossfeed and some budget phones for gaming. Thats honestly my best advice to you.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 32
Assuming you'll be using a proper gaming soundcard, most have a headphone setting that automatically crossfeeds the channels and much more properly than any amp with EAX and the like. That's one area the Audigy2 series' headphone setting actually sounds excellent.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 32
I've used my HD-580's for gaming and music for years and like them very much, both amped and unamped. Comfortable, big soundstage, long and light cord, very well made. Much prefer them to my SR-225's or my Eggos for gaming.

While they are more than you are budgeting for new, they seem to come up used for decent prices fairly often.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 32
Come on guys, the original poster asked for a recommendation of gaming headphones, not for a rundown of whether or not headstage/imaging/soundstage exists or not.

Personally I can't answer your questions though, sorry eMpAtHy (and I have some for you lol).

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 32
On the subject of soundstage, I was surprised how much 'in the head' the Grados sounded (and this is with the bowl pads) compared to the Sennheisers. It is likely the further the drivers are away from the ears (necessitating said drivers with more ability to project the sound) the larger the perceived soundstage will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back