best <$300 headphones for me?
post-8080429
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
hey, I've been reading the articles on this forum for a while now trying to decide for myself but every time i think I've come to a conclusion i learn of a new headphone and my list of possibles is just getting bigger. I'm new to the world of good headphones, i bought a pair of skullcandy agents about 6 months ago and found them good with bass but distorted in the vocals (remember i have no point of reference) so I'm looking for something that fits this description :
 
-less than $300
-fits in a school satchel
-very little or no leak
-durable enough to not be destroyed by textbooks and stuff
-not in need of an external amp
-good clarity of sound in vocals and guitar
 
 
i listen to mainly rock with a bit of blues and metal. my current music player is an ipod touch. As i said I'm new so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category I've looked at all brands like grado, sennheiser, AKG, phiaton, denon, shure, beyerdynamic, koss and skullcandy but i don't live near to any of their retailers so i cant try them so if you have any advice on which cans are the best for what i want it'll be much appreciated :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080442
Post #2 of 15

Beatbox

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Posts
37
Likes
10
Don't get a skullcandy. Period. And get the hell away from beats too!
 
 
Are you looking for something fast and energetic, or laid back? Something which emphasizes the low end or the treble? Maybe mid-centric?
 
From your genres you would probably want something that is slightly bass-powerful for the rock, more so for the metal, and I don't really know blues but I think they're all about the mids?
 
Heard good things about the CK90, the FX700 (I don't know its price)... though I'm not really fluent in IEM's in your budget.
 
 
 
If you're not a audiophile then make yourself a favor and get phones that cost 150-200 bucks less. You wouldn't really hear a difference.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080455
Post #3 of 15

Vloeibaarglas

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
117
Reaction score
14
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
117
Likes
14
Skullcandy Aviator are great (and stylish) lol.
 
Do you want IEM or headphones?
 
Don't spend $300. Start with a pair of $60 pair.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080462
Post #4 of 15

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
4,705
Reaction score
781
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Posts
4,705
Likes
781
The most important thing for rock and metal is that the headphone's transient response /speed is good, particularly as in faster passages the music will otherwise start sounding very congested. So while you DO want bass, you want to make sure the headphone you choose is going to provide you with fast and tight bass rather than sloppy stuff that will just struggle to keep up.
 
Do you have any particular preference in terms of on-ear or over-ear? 
 
This roundup may give you some insight: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
 
Now I haven't heard it, and so I can only repeat recommendations here, but the Sennheiser HD25 seems like something you should look into.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080464
Post #5 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
hey thanks for the quick replies sorry i wasnt clear i do want headphones not IEMs i havent had too much experience with audiophile headphones however my dad left my a pretty amazing hifi system which has perfect clarity (you can hear where the band members are in the room) and i want a pair of headphones which feel like im listening to music not having it rammed into the centre of my head as with the skullcandy and no i dont like beats either their overpriced overhyped and not very good value for money
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080466
Post #6 of 15

aamefford

I have a custom title!
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,914
Reaction score
644
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Posts
3,914
Likes
644


Quote:
hey, I've been reading the articles on this forum for a while now trying to decide for myself but every time i think I've come to a conclusion i learn of a new headphone and my list of possibles is just getting bigger. I'm new to the world of good headphones, i bought a pair of skullcandy agents about 6 months ago and found them good with bass but distorted in the vocals (remember i have no point of reference) so I'm looking for something that fits this description :
 
-less than $300
-fits in a school satchel
-very little or no leak
-durable enough to not be destroyed by textbooks and stuff
-not in need of an external amp
-good clarity of sound in vocals and guitar
 
 
i listen to mainly rock with a bit of blues and metal. my current music player is an ipod touch. As i said I'm new so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category I've looked at all brands like grado, sennheiser, AKG, phiaton, denon, shure, beyerdynamic, koss and skullcandy but i don't live near to any of their retailers so i cant try them so if you have any advice on which cans are the best for what i want it'll be much appreciated :)

There is a pair of used HD25-1-II's in the for sale section.  You can also find these on line between $150 (rare) and about $190 new or B stock.  They are bullet proof, rebuildable, don't leak in or out, and will stand up to the rigors of a school satchel for sure.  They sound awesome with rock.  Beyerdynamic DT1350's come in a nice case, but are metal (might bend, though they are durable) and are pricier at $250 to $300.  I owned both pairs and went with the DT1350's as the keepers.  If I was using them at school, I would have kept the HD25's.  Cheaper, plainer looking (less attractive to others...) and as I said, bullet proof.
 
There are a bunch of other options out there, I just have experience with these two.  Oh, and the now discontinued AT ESW10-jpn - Brilliant, beautiful, fragile, out of production and pricy. Not recommended for your needs.
 
EDIT - just saw the amp note - Definitely the HD25's.  The DT1350's don't need an amp, but they do like one a bit more than the HD25-1-II's.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080468
Post #7 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0


Quote:
The most important thing for rock and metal is that the headphone's transient response /speed is good, particularly as in faster passages the music will otherwise start sounding very congested. So while you DO want bass, you want to make sure the headphone you choose is going to provide you with fast and tight bass rather than sloppy stuff that will just struggle to keep up.
 
Do you have any particular preference in terms of on-ear or over-ear? 
 
This roundup may give you some insight: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
 
Now I haven't heard it, and so I can only repeat recommendations here, but the Sennheiser HD25 seems like something you should look into.

ive heard good things about the HD 25 I-II ut the cups dont twist so theyd snap in my bag and no i dont have any preference in on ear or over ear
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080511
Post #8 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
what do you guys think about the shure SRH750DJ? or the phiaton MS300/PS300 NC? would they give me the kind of clarity of sound im looking for?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080514
Post #9 of 15

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
4,705
Reaction score
781
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Posts
4,705
Likes
781


Quote:
ive heard good things about the HD 25 I-II ut the cups dont twist so theyd snap in my bag and no i dont have any preference in on ear or over ear
 


I'm not sure they will snap; they are designed for DJ's after all.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080546
Post #10 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0


Quote:
I'm not sure they will snap; they are designed for DJ's after all.


i think i will get the HD25s the blue adidas ones though i do still want them to look a little bit cool as well as produce excellent sound :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-8080572
Post #11 of 15

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
4,705
Reaction score
781
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Posts
4,705
Likes
781
     Share This Post       
post-8080584
Post #12 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
     Share This Post       
post-8080587
Post #13 of 15

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
4,705
Reaction score
781
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Posts
4,705
Likes
781
     Share This Post       
post-8080600
Post #14 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
     Share This Post       
post-8080664
Post #15 of 15

ShadowReave

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 22, 2012
Posts
8
Likes
0
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top